Most overrated Scottish player ever !!! - Page 3 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Most overrated Scottish player ever !!!

Big Ramy 1314

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 7/4/2022 at 7:51 AM, Tartan blood said:

Bannan had a handful of games where he looked genuinely class and was being compared to Xavi. But then he settled into a consistently decent level, which isn't quite good enough for Scotland. He was fortunate enough to be involved when we had a very shallow pool of talent.

Most overrated for me is another Barry - Barry Ferguson. Before anyone gets outraged, I do think he was a very good player, but being labelled World Class and the best player in the squad was wild hyperbole. 

I don't recall many, if any, people saying Ferguson was world class but he was the best player in our squad at one point and is one of the best players we've produced in the last 20-25 years.  If he had any sort of ambition he should have been using Blackburn as a stepping stone to a bigger team down there (ala Robertson) instead of being "homesick" and coming back to Rangers the first chance he got (although the Rangers fan side of me is glad he did).

On 7/4/2022 at 10:19 PM, 0Neils40yarder said:

The fact that SOD has so many caps shows that he was vastly over rated...should never have been near a Scotland squad for being utterly hopeless 

On 7/5/2022 at 12:35 AM, 0Neils40yarder said:

I'd have asked Danny McGrain out of retirement before that phud

So there was nobody else which means odonnell wasn't overated, he was the only choice

On 7/5/2022 at 10:48 AM, Fairbairn said:

I don't recall many, if any, people saying Ferguson was world class but he was the best player in our squad at one point and is one of the best players we've produced in the last 20-25 years.  If he had any sort of ambition he should have been using Blackburn as a stepping stone to a bigger team down there (ala Robertson) instead of being "homesick" and coming back to Rangers the first chance he got (although the Rangers fan side of me is glad he did).

I've seen people on here and elsewhere claiming he was World Class. A classic case of people inflating the ability of a player after the fact. In the dozens of games he didn't play in,  I never felt like he was especially missed.

When would you say he was the best in the squad? Possibly 2003ish after Lambert had retired and the new batch were just breaking in (Gordon, Fletcher, McFadden etc).

Currently O’Donnell and Dykes. Burke and McBurnie going for massive fees despite being woeful. From a while ago, Hansen was overrated. Couldn’t lace Dave Narey’s boots. If Narey had moved down south, he would have been much more rated globally. 

7 minutes ago, GHfaeGTA said:

Currently O’Donnell and Dykes. Burke and McBurnie going for massive fees despite being woeful. From a while ago, Hansen was overrated. Couldn’t lace Dave Narey’s boots. If Narey had moved down south, he would have been much more rated globally. 

Never forget that cracker against Brazil in 82.. Unfortunately Alan Rough met Zico the hard way..😉

Probably cheating looking at the most under rated to find the moat over rated but Ikechi Anya was no were near the super star some seem to think.

First thought when he came on was " is that the best we have on the bench".

All I  seem Io remember is him running 10 meters very fast, scoring against Germany and looking delighted in the papers when he scored that goal(pity we lost the match)

Pretty sure he had  a very mediocre club career too.

Probably managed to look better than he was in the eyes of some as we were pretty poor back then.

18 minutes ago, Robbo `81 said:

I'd say the most over-rated, by Scotland fans, is Christian Dailly..

The very epitome of a "Journeyman" / "good pro" , even by Scottish standards, elevated to god like status by a lot of fans because he said 'f*ck' on TV 

…… you mean elevated to god like status because of his hair 

8 hours ago, Robbo `81 said:

The very epitome of a "Journeyman" / "good pro" , even by Scottish standards, elevated to god like status by a lot of fans because he said 'f*ck' on TV 

He was a really good utility player. Played loads of positions. Master of none. Just because somebody made up a really good song about him, doesn't mean they are giving him "god like status". He was a cult long before he told the truth by calling them "fucking cheats". Or, was it "cheating cunts"?

10 hours ago, Robbo `81 said:

You mean I let him shag my wife for nothing?  Ffs!!

On 7/4/2022 at 2:36 PM, stitch said:

I think saying SOD is over rated is wrong. It was never said he was a great player but did a job in a position that the only other player at the time was Liam Palmer, now he is my 2nd worst player to ever get a cap for us the first one was Gary Teale.

Agree with Gary Teale and I also reckon Charlie Mulgrew

On 7/11/2022 at 11:58 PM, Bzzzz said:

NIGEL FKIN QUASHIE. 😡

On 7/12/2022 at 2:03 PM, robbo cop said:

Has Chris Lwelumo been mentioned?

On 7/12/2022 at 2:23 AM, mccaughey85 said:

Lol pretty much most of these guys mentioned were never rated by us or anybody in football. For someone to be overrated they have to have been rated first. 

Saves me saying it. 

On 7/12/2022 at 8:03 AM, robbo cop said:

Has Chris Lwelumo been mentioned?

Sadly, we all remember his miss, but there was a period he was in good form for 3/4 years.  I am sure you all heard the same interview as I did, but after the miss he went and scored in something like 7 games in a row for his club.