Most overrated Scottish player ever !!! - Page 2 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Most overrated Scottish player ever !!!

Big Ramy 1314

Just my personal theory but I think Miller's problem was confidence.

Always remember the away game vs. the Netherlands in 2009 he had a chance in either the first or second minute of the first half.

Careless passing from the Dutch saw Miller and Ross McCormack working the ball through the Dutch midfield and Miller getting right to the edge of their penalty box where he then promptly looked up, saw a Dutch defender coming at him, froze with a look of terror on his face and very kindly gave the Dutch lad the ball.

A more confident player would have either had a shot at goal or taken the defender on.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think saying SOD is over rated is wrong. It was never said he was a great player but did a job in a position that the only other player at the time was Liam Palmer, now he is my 2nd worst player to ever get a cap for us the first one was Gary Teale.

Guest Scot1

You could look at it from a perspective of £, transfer fees. 
Oli McBurnie £20 million

I think I read that for his various moves Oli Burke has cost £23 million in total transfer fees

Edited by Scot1

1 hour ago, ProudScot said:

Scored a lot of goals in terrible Scotland teams. In his prime he would be a great player in the current team. 

Its all about opinions but I actually think the opposite.

When you break down Millers attributes the only one that stands up is workrate (maybe pace but certainly not elite pace).

When playing for a poor side he had loads of commitment and workrate and scored a few goals so it made him stand out. For a better side I believe he was much more exposed.

For example clever movement is much more valuable than constant movement. I remember being in Maccedonia when Fletcher on the face of it had a nightmare game however if you watched properly everytime he got the ball, he looked up and Miller (and I think McFadden) were offside having gone too early or not bothered to get back onside when we didnt have the ball. As a result Fletcher didnt make the pass and eventually lost it.

Always remember Rooney saying that a forward should work his hardest when his team dont have the ball as thats when the defenders switch off and the space can be found. 

Guest Scot1
11 minutes ago, Diamond Scot said:

Its all about opinions but I actually think the opposite.

When you break down Millers attributes the only one that stands up is workrate (maybe pace but certainly not elite pace).

When playing for a poor side he had loads of commitment and workrate and scored a few goals so it made him stand out. For a better side I believe he was much more exposed.

For example clever movement is much more valuable than constant movement. I remember being in Maccedonia when Fletcher on the face of it had a nightmare game however if you watched properly everytime he got the ball, he looked up and Miller (and I think McFadden) were offside having gone too early or not bothered to get back onside when we didnt have the ball. As a result Fletcher didnt make the pass and eventually lost it.

Always remember Rooney saying that a forward should work his hardest when his team dont have the ball as thats when the defenders switch off and the space can be found. 

Miller was fortunate in that there wasn’t much competition for his place up front. The only other Centre Forward around at that time who would’ve been better than Millar got a career changing injury from Arthur Numan playing against Rangers, just as he was starting to get mentioned for the national team.

Edited by Scot1

1 hour ago, Scot1 said:

Miller was fortunate in that there wasn’t much competition for his place up front. The only other Centre Forward around at that time who would’ve been better than Millar got a career changing injury from Arthur Numan playing against Rangers, just as he was starting to get mentioned for the national team.

Forgive mw for not know but who was that you're referring to?

8 hours ago, mccaughey85 said:

i always thought mcstay was slightly overrated but he maybe suffered by not moving to a top league/team and proving himself in a top league. 

Paul's "problem" was that he achieved such a high level of performance as a teenager, a great Scotland player though IMO.

I would say to be over rated you have to be highly rated in the first place which would rule a number of those mentioned out.

Graeme Souness would be someone who had a massive reputation but sometimes just didn't look interested playing for Scotland. Was bloody lucky never to be sent off for us either.

Charlie Nicholas?

I wouldn't say Kenny Miller was over-rated, I thought he was rated pretty much for what he was. He was often playing on a hiding to nothing, in unadventurous teams (where we were sometimes lucky even to have a striker on the pitch!)

Also he managed to get goals against higher rated teams such as Germany, Italy, Ukraine, Czech Republic in qualifiers (as well as against Croatia and England in friendlies).

Guest Scot1
1 hour ago, ErsatzThistle said:

Think it was a young Gary Wales (?)

Spot on, broke all the major bones in his leg multiple times and tore all the ligaments and tendons to pieces. Was never the same player after that and we never got to see him reach anywhere near his potential. 

3 hours ago, Scot1 said:

Depends on what time period you're talking about: we had James McFadden, Kenny Miller and Kris Boyd as options under Smith and McLeish.

Under Burley and Levein, the self-imposed withdrawals of Boyd and Steven Fletcher, and McFadden's injuries, gave him basically a free slot - so he was fortunate during that period; the only real challenger was Steven Naismith. Craig Mackail-Smith or Chris Iwelumo weren't particularly good options at international level. Even with Boyd, Fletcher and McFadden available, he probably would've been in the squad during that period.

His goal return was still around one in four, which isn't awful.

Edited by Clyde1998

13 minutes ago, Scot1 said:

Spot on, broke all the major bones in his leg multiple times and tore all the ligaments and tendons to pieces. Was never the same player after that and we never got to see him reach anywhere near his potential. 

I honestly don't remember the incident but a Google search threw up this:

https://www.thefreelibrary.com/FOOTBALL%3A+JAMBO+WALES+HAS+NO+BONE+OF+CONTENTION%3B+He+plans+to+return...-a062107664

HEARTS star Gary Wales last night said Arthur Numan was not to blame for the challenge that ended his season - and his hopes of a Scotland call-up.

The in-form striker was carried off after just seven minutes of Saturday's 1-0 defeat at Ibrox after he broke his leg following the Gers defender's challenge.

"I cut inside the player and was caught," said Wales. "My leg went one way, I went the other and all the weight just fell on my ankle.

"But I don't blame Arthur Numan for what happened. That is just the way the game goes and, unfortunately, these things happens.

"I have never broken a bone in my body before but I knew right away that there was something up."

Wales feared that his break could also have ruled him out of all NEXT season but X-rays at an Edinburgh hospital have been in his favour.

Wales had surgery on Sunday and has since had a metal plate drilled into his leg.

He added: "I have to stay mentally strong and think positive about what has happened.

"I feared the worst and realise now that, if it was the tibia and fibia that had gone, then I could have been out for up to a year.

"That was a real worry to me so you can't understand how I felt when I was told it could just be a couple of months.

"It's little consolation but at least now I know what I have to do in the next couple of months."

His injury is also a blow to Scotland manager Craig Brown, who recently said the striker was on the verge of a full-team call-up.

Since his pounds 50,000 move from Hamilton, Wales has slowly but surely stamped his credentials at Tynecastle.

But even he can't believe the injury. He added: "It's an absolute nightmare end to what has been quite a good season for me.

"I have been doing well recently and had my eyes set on the last two games of the season against Rangers and this Hibs this weekend and, hopefully, European football.

"I know what getting Hearts into Europe means not only to the players but to the fans so it's hard to know I'll be out those games.

"But this has wrecked those plans but I've spoken to the doctors and they say there is a chance I'll be back training during the summer.

"That's a little way off just now but I know I have a lot of hard work ahead me."

He added: "Our physiotherapist Allan Rae has been great and he has been coming up to the hospital to see how things are going.

"But all the boys have been on the phone non-stop to offer their best wishes.

"It is hard, as I've never had anything like this to deal with before, but I plan to come back stronger for Hearts," added Wales.

Former Hearts star Craig Levein last night backed Wales to recover from his broken leg to spearhead a Euro attack next season.

Levein said: "This will be a big test of Gary's character to see how he responds from the injury.

"He'll obviously be desperately disappointed after just making the breakthrough into the first team."

He added: "But I understand the injury isn't all that serious so hopefully Gary will make a full recovery in time for next season."

Levein, now boss at Cowdenbeath, added: "I've seen Gary play a few times and he's looked promising because of his good pace and quick feet.

"But now he just has got to keep his head down, work hard and not look any further forward than getting back to full fitness."

Guest Scot1
11 minutes ago, Clyde1998 said:

Depends on what time period you're talking about: we had James McFadden, Kenny Miller and Kris Boyd as options under Smith and McLeish.

Under Burley and Levein, the self-imposed withdrawals of Boyd and Steven Fletcher, and McFadden's injuries, gave him basically a free slot - so he was fortunate during that period; the only real challenger was Steven Naismith. Craig Mackail-Smith or Chris Iwelumo weren't particularly good options at international level. Even with Boyd, Fletcher and McFadden available, he probably would've been in the squad during that period.

His goal return was still around one in four, which isn't awful.

Boyd was never going to play ahead of Millar with us playing 1 up front and his work rate, but what a finisher he was. 

Guest Scot1
14 minutes ago, ErsatzThistle said:

It wasn’t a bad or nasty tackle, just one of those things, but it stopped Gary becoming the player he could’ve been. He was technically a much better footballer than Millar, was 2 footed, and had more pace. Pretty sure a lot of pretty big teams in England, and I think Rangers were looking at him and Millar at the time of the injury. 

Edited by Scot1

Guest Scot1
9 minutes ago, aaid said:

Goalkeeping is shocking for the first. 

He scored better goals than that from long range. Just can’t find anything on YouTube. He could score goals that Miller couldn’t.  Miller was decent in and around the penalty box. Gary was dangerous from 30 yards in. 
That’s one of the problems of being a “small” nation though, the lack of depth in the pool available. 

7 hours ago, Rich NATA said:

Not sure why people are talking about Kenny Miller or Stephen O'Donnell.

They weren't rated by many let alone over-rated, but there was little else available.

Over-rated? Maybe Darren Fletcher?

The fact that SOD has so many caps shows that he was vastly over rated...should never have been near a Scotland squad for being utterly hopeless 

If anything, Kenny Miller belongs in the 'underrated' thread.  Fifth highest post-war goalscorer, only one less than Ally McCoist and from a similar number number of games - all while playing up front mostly on his own in poor Scotland teams.  

On the other hand Steven Fletcher, I feel, was somewhat overrated. His strike-rate of 10 goals in 33 appearances looks decent, except when you drill down into it and see that 7 of his 10 goals came against Gibraltar and Malta.

Both of them would easily make the current squad though.

15 hours ago, Hertsscot said:

Alan Hansen? Roy Aitken? Steve Archibald? Leigh Griffiths? James Forrest?

i always though Leigh Griffiths was an amazing finisher given the chance ; unfortunately he seemed to slide into the "bawheid" list we've had over the years , likes of Riordan, Duncan F, Gary O Connor etc 

Eoin Jess was another for me that was a huge let down - seemed more intelligent than aforementioned but never really turned it on at national level

tbh we've had so many over the years could easily fill a team of overrated players ; the 80s especially

nevin,sharp,speedie,albiston and most of the liverpool boys - Kenny aside