Most overrated Scottish player ever !!! - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Most overrated Scottish player ever !!!

Big Ramy 1314

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In my time watching Scotland, Id go for Barry Bannan, thought he was pretty pish for us.

In recent years, Id go for Lyndon Dykes, received massive praise, and has scored a few vital goals, but technically he is a terrible player. Tin hat on.

The media in cahoots with the SFA are responsible for the hype

Comes within the territory of keeping themselves in a job by making out our game is better than it actually is for fear people will lose interest

5 hours ago, kumnio said:

In my time watching Scotland, Id go for Barry Bannan, thought he was pretty pish for us.

In recent years, Id go for Lyndon Dykes, received massive praise, and has scored a few vital goals, but technically he is a terrible player. Tin hat on.

Dykes gets my vote. Never rated him.. 

8 hours ago, kumnio said:

Bannan had a handful of games where he looked genuinely class and was being compared to Xavi. But then he settled into a consistently decent level, which isn't quite good enough for Scotland. He was fortunate enough to be involved when we had a very shallow pool of talent.

Most overrated for me is another Barry - Barry Ferguson. Before anyone gets outraged, I do think he was a very good player, but being labelled World Class and the best player in the squad was wild hyperbole. 

Barry Bannan was a major favourite of Strachan's whom he would not drop no matter how badly he played. James McArthur was his other big favourite. Two mediocre players who got picked because they "turned up and trained well".

One result of that was Stuart Armstrong waiting ages for his debut. He should have been called up when he was still at Dundee Utd, but had to wait until the latter part of his career at Celtic before Strachan give him a shot.

4 hours ago, ErsatzThistle said:

Don't understand why so many people love Grant Hanley.

I'd drop him from the squad.

Not sure anybody has ever overrated hanley tbf. He has gotten a bit of respect for making back into the scotland team and putting in some decent performances but pretty much every one knows hes not particulary great at epl or international level. 

Not sure we are in a position to drop him from the squad especially if theres a few injuries to the other centre backs.

4 minutes ago, mccaughey85 said:

Not sure anybody has ever overrated hanley tbf. He has gotten a bit of respect for making back into the scotland team and putting in some decent performances but pretty much every one knows hes not particulary great at epl or international level. 

Not sure we are in a position to drop him from the squad especially if theres a few injuries to the other centre backs.

No, he has his fans who love him because he's "full of heart" and all that birthday card stuff.

Poor intelligence on the pitch, gives away too many free kicks, panics too easily under pressure, almost non-existent concentration, doesn't communicate well with other defenders or defensive midfielders, he also often looks physically drained after playing about sixty minutes.

I'd rather give someone like Craig Halkett or Murray Wallace (both of whom had good seasons for their clubs) a call up in Hanley's place.

Not sure these guys being suggested have ever been overrated by anyone.

I would say if anyone was overrated in our current squad it would be robertson. Hes an excellent full back but i believe liverpool could replace him if need be quite easily and i reckon we wouldnt necessarily miss him that much either. 

Most of our current squad and the squad from the last 20 years are rated correctly. 

Maybe in terms of club football i would say mcfadden was slightly overrated. He couldnt get a regular game for everton and when he did play he seemed to dribble up his own arse half the time. For scotland he did pull out some great goals and performances tbf.

1 minute ago, ErsatzThistle said:

No, he has his fans who love him because he's "full of heart" and all that birthday card stuff.

Poor intelligence on the pitch, gives away too many free kicks, panics too easily under pressure, almost non-existent concentration, doesn't communicate well with other defenders or defensive midfielders, he also often looks physically drained after playing about sixty minutes.

I'd rather give someone like Craig Halkett or Murray Wallace (both of whom had good seasons for their clubs) a call up in Hanley's place.

Does he? Pretty much all the scotland fans i know or ppl on here ken hes average/poor. Hes done reasonbly well recently barring the last round of games so ppl have given a little bit of credit which is fair.

You could say that about all our centre backs barring tierney. They are all quite poor when it comes to the top level in the aspects you listed.

Lol its all very well championing halkett or wallace but they have never played any kind of decent level. If they were decent defenders they wouldnt be spending their careers at the likes of hearts/livi or millwall. Imagine halkett and wallace up against liverpool or man city. Hanley isnt much better than those two but theres a reason hes plays for teams who get to the epl and thats because hes solid at championship level. Hanley is pretty poor but halkett and wallace aint much better and i would shudder at the thought of those two facing a top european side. Saying that i usually shudder at most of centre backs facing top european sides lol.

10 minutes ago, mccaughey85 said:

Not sure these guys being suggested have ever been overrated by anyone.

I would say if anyone was overrated in our current squad it would be robertson. Hes an excellent full back but i believe liverpool could replace him if need be quite easily and i reckon we wouldnt necessarily miss him that much either. 

Most of our current squad and the squad from the last 20 years are rated correctly. 

Maybe in terms of club football i would say mcfadden was slightly overrated. He couldnt get a regular game for everton and when he did play he seemed to dribble up his own arse half the time. For scotland he did pull out some great goals and performances tbf.

I think the ones that tend to be overrated are the ones that are in positions where there is a dearth of talent. It's maybe more hopeful optimism than anything else. So, both Dykes and Adams have been hyped up to be better than they are at various points. 

Not sure I agree with the McFadden statement. He was criminally underused for Everton and then played in an ultra defensive team for McLeish at Birmingham City, so wasn't allowed to shine. For Scotland, he'd regularly pull out world class performances. He was the epitome of a big game player.

This is a nice thread!! Good for getting opinions out there, a bit of discussion etc. 

I'm going to go back a few years to when I was a young lad. The players I am about to mention were all highly regarded by media and many top coaches and I guess they performed at an ultra high level for their clubs but I always felt a bit underwhelmed watching them in the dark blue of Scotland.

Gary McAllister, Paul McStay and Brian McClair. Again maybe I just didn't appreciate their qualities at the time, as I said I was young and not as seasoned a viewer of football as I am now, but I always thought for the hype that came attached to their names they could have been better for the national team.

Maybe unrealistic of me to expect that or does anyone agree with me? Happy to read any thoughts on these three players.

6 minutes ago, Tartan blood said:

I think the ones that tend to be overrated are the ones that are in positions where there is a dearth of talent. It's maybe more hopeful optimism than anything else. So, both Dykes and Adams have been hyped up to be better than they are at various points. 

Not sure I agree with the McFadden statement. He was criminally underused for Everton and then played in an ultra defensive team for McLeish at Birmingham City, so wasn't allowed to shine. For Scotland, he'd regularly pull out world class performances. He was the epitome of a big game player.

I still dont think anyone rates them that highly though.

Mcfadden wasnt used because he wasnt good enough. Used to watch him for everton when i could and he would lose the ball alot and dribble the ball out of play or up his own arse. He did pull out some nice goals and had some decent performances but i can see why he was never a first team player there. 

23 minutes ago, mccaughey85 said:

Does he? Pretty much all the scotland fans i know or ppl on here ken hes average/poor. Hes done reasonbly well recently barring the last round of games so ppl have given a little bit of credit which is fair.

You could say that about all our centre backs barring tierney. They are all quite poor when it comes to the top level in the aspects you listed.

Lol its all very well championing halkett or wallace but they have never played any kind of decent level. If they were decent defenders they wouldnt be spending their careers at the likes of hearts/livi or millwall. Imagine halkett and wallace up against liverpool or man city. Hanley isnt much better than those two but theres a reason hes plays for teams who get to the epl and thats because hes solid at championship level. Hanley is pretty poor but halkett and wallace aint much better and i would shudder at the thought of those two facing a top european side. Saying that i usually shudder at most of centre backs facing top european sides lol.

People said the same thing when Declan Gallagher got thrown in the deep end.

I want Hanley out the squad.

6 minutes ago, morrie21 said:

This is a nice thread!! Good for getting opinions out there, a bit of discussion etc. 

I'm going to go back a few years to when I was a young lad. The players I am about to mention were all highly regarded by media and many top coaches and I guess they performed at an ultra high level for their clubs but I always felt a bit underwhelmed watching them in the dark blue of Scotland.

Gary McAllister, Paul McStay and Brian McClair. Again maybe I just didn't appreciate their qualities at the time, as I said I was young and not as seasoned a viewer of football as I am now, but I always thought for the hype that came attached to their names they could have been better for the national team.

Maybe unrealistic of me to expect that or does anyone agree with me? Happy to read any thoughts on these three players.

I would say mcallister was slightly underrated. Guy was probably one of the best epl midfielders in the 90s and he was one of the main reasons we went to tournaments like euro 96 and 98. Mcclair and mcstay was slightly before my time but i always thought mcstay was slightly overrated but he maybe suffered by not moving to a top league/team and proving himself in a top league. Mcclair like most of our strikers from the late 80s and 90s didnt perform as nearly as well as the should of for scotland. Mcclair i would say is rated fairly correctly in terms of his club career. He was excellent at both celtic and utd.

1 minute ago, ErsatzThistle said:

People said the same thing when Declan Gallagher got thrown in the deep end.

I want Hanley out the squad.

Yeh tbf i thought gallagher got a raw deal, dont think he got a single minute at the euros and got dumped out the setup after playing pretty well in the limited games he got. 

Saying that most of our centre backs have a few games were they play well and then they have a few stinkers. Its just the way it is when you dont have any top class centre backs. Hanley had a good run up until the last few games but assuming halkett and wallace will perform consistently better for us is mostly just speculation based on very little evidence. Theres guys like michael rose and dominic hyam who could also be given a chance but are they any better than hanley? If they were they would be playing for teams who are gaining promotion.

Personally i think hanley is down the pecking order but still deserves a place in the squad. I dont really trust any of our cbs right now apart from tierney and maybe souttar. The rest are completely inconsistent and equally average/poor.

3 minutes ago, ErsatzThistle said:

McAllister just didn't fit in with how Craig Brown set up the team. The problem was that Brown couldn't very well leave out one of the most high profile Scottish club players.

I thought he was a perfect fit for our 90s teams. He kept possesion well and basically ran the midfield against very good international teams. We were a defensive team in the 90s and we played to our strengths which was strong centre backs and good midfielders who were mostly defensive and able to control games through passing and protecting the backline. 

Kenny Miller. Hands down. Especially since he retired. People seem to forget how utterly useless he was.

He ran about alot and gave 100% but often his running led to him being offside or in the wrong position.

27 minutes ago, Diamond Scot said:

Kenny Miller. Hands down. Especially since he retired. People seem to forget how utterly useless he was.

He ran about alot and gave 100% but often his running led to him being offside or in the wrong position.

Scored a lot of goals in terrible Scotland teams. In his prime he would be a great player in the current team.