Passports - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

I applied for a new passport on 13th June, to my great surprise after hearing of all the problems/delays people had been having my new one arrived this morning in less than 2 weeks, very impressed with the service & hope they’ve sorted the problems out & everyone else gets the same level of service. 👏👏👏

1 hour ago, Rich NATA said:

Did you have some months remaining on your previous passport and did they add these months to the new passport?

Think I had till April 2023 left on it but passport was 10 years old which could have caused problems with some countries, I renewed early last time cos I was travelling with less than the required 6 months left on it, the unused months were added to my last passport but not to the new one. I’m heading to Cyprus late August and didn’t want any doubt over passport validity. 

So you lost 9/10 months. Bastards.

You pay for a 10 year passport, but you don't actually get 10 years because nae one let's you travel on one when it's running down and now when you get a new one, they no longer add the months to the new one.

On top of this, you have to source your own 'Scottish, Not British' sticker to go on the front.

... and on the website you're greeted by this!

Iconic my arse.

image.png.91e2ed267ef5fd59d2192a2de1363a4b.png

2 hours ago, Rich NATA said:

So you lost 9/10 months. Bastards.

You pay for a 10 year passport, but you don't actually get 10 years because nae one let's you travel on one when it's running down and now when you get a new one, they no longer add the months to the new one.

On top of this, you have to source your own 'Scottish, Not British' sticker to go on the front.

... and on the website you're greeted by this!

Iconic my arse.

image.png.91e2ed267ef5fd59d2192a2de1363a4b.png

New passports black. Aye feel like I’ve lost 10 months of my life wi the loss of passport longevity. After all the bad press about how long passports were taking to process I got mine back in less than a fortnight which is impressive.

Mine expires in the 2nd half of next year, so it's already in mind; I'll deal with it after Ukraine away.

Just recently, it was brought to my attention that I probably qualify for a Republic of Ireland passport because one of my Grandmother's was born in Belfast.

3 hours ago, Rich NATA said:

Mine expires in the 2nd half of next year, so it's already in mind; I'll deal with it after Ukraine away.

Just recently, it was brought to my attention that I probably qualify for a Republic of Ireland passport because one of my Grandmother's was born in Belfast.

Belfasts nae in the ROI 🥴

My in-laws were both born & brought/dragged up in Ireland & landed over here in the mid-50s. When the Windrush thing kicked off, my F-i-L convinced himself (he'd be mid-80s by then) that the Police were going to turn up & send him back to Ireland. He point blank refused to get a UK passport but got it in his head that he'd get an Irish one. I did a lot of the forms for the two of them & found out along the way that children of people born anywhere in Ireland (incl. NI) are automatically Irish citizens, & if you send off your parents' passport, you can claim one for yourself. Grandchildren can apply for citizenship & likewise get a passport by sending off proof.

He never went anywhere with it until he died, but I reckon, with all the kids & grandkids jumping on it after Brexit, it ended up a very well-travelled passport.