November Friendly ? - Page 2 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

November Friendly ?

ErsatzThistle

5 minutes ago, ErsatzThistle said:

Starting to go a bit off topic now ...

Back on topic, who would you like to see us play in November ?

As if we'd ever go off topic! 😁  Like some earlier poster suggested, perhaps Mexico would be a good shout?  Although, from a purely selfish point of view, I hate playing tournament bound teams prior to a tournament, just riles the green eyed monster on me 😖

It would be good to get a game but I don't think we will have one to be honest. We seem to have an opinion at SFA/press level that friendlies are a waste of time.

If Poland and Austria hadn't have been prescribed then I doubt we'd have played any in March (one at most).

Our media will moan about players needing a rest and then every other country in Europe will play apart from us.

Edited by Johnnyshaker

I wouldn't mind us having a few friendlies during the World Cup to bed in a few of the inexperienced players, even if they're officially B team matches.

There's a list of decent teams who haven't qualified who would provide opponents who are (broadly) around our level, or better, from different parts of the world - avoiding teams we've played a lot recently:

• Northern Europe: Norway, Sweden, Finland, Iceland, Northern Ireland
  • Central/Eastern Europe: Hungary, Georgia, Bosnia, Slovakia, North Macedonia, Slovenia
  • Southern Europe: Italy, Turkey, Greece
  • Africa: Algeria, Ivory Coast, Nigeria, Egypt, Mali
  • Americas: Colombia, Peru, Paraguay, Chile, Venezuela, Panama, Bolivia
  • Asia/Pacific: Jordan, Iraq, Oman, Uzbekistan, New Zealand

Of course, what we're, and any potential opponents are, able to do depends on whether clubs would allow for their players to feature in any match.

If we played a friendly against the United States in the UAE, for example, we could play additional friendlies there; some against other countries playing against qualified teams in pre-tournament friendlies. A training camp could be arranged also.

Playing against some non-European nations would be a good experience for our players.

5 hours ago, Clyde1998 said:

I wouldn't mind us having a few friendlies during the World Cup to bed in a few of the inexperienced players, even if they're officially B team matches.

There's a list of decent teams who haven't qualified who would provide opponents who are (broadly) around our level, or better, from different parts of the world - avoiding teams we've played a lot recently:

• Central/Eastern Europe: Hungary, Georgia, Bosnia, Slovakia, North Macedonia, Slovenia

Of course, what we're, and any potential opponents are, able to do depends on whether clubs would allow for their players to feature in any match.

If we played a friendly against the United States in the UAE, for example, we could play additional friendlies there; some against other countries playing against qualified teams in pre-tournament friendlies. A training camp could be arranged also.

Playing against some non-European nations would be a good experience for our players.

I would hope our current standing would ensure games against world cup qualifiers, ok were not Italy but can you see them playing any of the countries you mention?

1 hour ago, ceudmilefailte said:

I would hope our current standing would ensure games against world cup qualifiers, ok were not Italy but can you see them playing any of the countries you mention?

I'm referring to when the World Cup has started we should look at those teams; the small gap between the recess of the domestic season and the start of the World Cup means only a maximum of a single game against a side which has qualified is realistic - which is why I focused on sides which didn't qualify.

If it was a normal World Cup schedule, then I'd also hope we'd be able to play against two or three sides that qualified prior to the World Cup.

Are you asking if we would play against any of the sides mentioned or Italy? I could quite easily see Italy playing against any of the South American or top African sides who didn't qualify.

For us, it really comes down to what the SFA want and where any friendly against a World Cup team is played. If we've got a friendly in the Middle East against a qualified team, we'd probably more likely to play against at least one non-qualified non-European team in Middle East. This would allow us to have an international training camp in Dubai, similar to what a lot of club sides seem to do now.

If we had three matches in the Middle East, I could see us playing against the United States (as previously mentioned), a stronger side among those who haven't qualified (perhaps a Paraguay or an Egypt) and a weaker side (maybe one of the Asian sides). It would give three different types of matches for our players and could allow for different players to be tried in different situations.

I think the SFA are most likely to arrange matches against Northern Ireland or one of the Nordic sides, should any friendlies take place in Europe. Of course that's if we have any friendlies at all; a training camp ahead of the start of the Euro qualifiers in March may be want they want to do.

13 hours ago, Clyde1998 said:

I'm referring to when the World Cup has started we should look at those teams; the small gap between the recess of the domestic season and the start of the World Cup means only a maximum of a single game against a side which has qualified is realistic - which is why I focused on sides which didn't qualify.

If it was a normal World Cup schedule, then I'd also hope we'd be able to play against two or three sides that qualified prior to the World Cup.

Are you asking if we would play against any of the sides mentioned or Italy? I could quite easily see Italy playing against any of the South American or top African sides who didn't qualify.

For us, it really comes down to what the SFA want and where any friendly against a World Cup team is played. If we've got a friendly in the Middle East against a qualified team, we'd probably more likely to play against at least one non-qualified non-European team in Middle East. This would allow us to have an international training camp in Dubai, similar to what a lot of club sides seem to do now.

If we had three matches in the Middle East, I could see us playing against the United States (as previously mentioned), a stronger side among those who haven't qualified (perhaps a Paraguay or an Egypt) and a weaker side (maybe one of the Asian sides). It would give three different types of matches for our players and could allow for different players to be tried in different situations.

I think the SFA are most likely to arrange matches against Northern Ireland or one of the Nordic sides, should any friendlies take place in Europe. Of course that's if we have any friendlies at all; a training camp ahead of the start of the Euro qualifiers in March may be want they want to do.

Aye, I wasn't taking into account the possibility of friendlies during the world cup as it's not usually a problem.

Can't really see any happening to be honest, probably the diplomatic thing to do is leave the players with their clubs.

On 6/25/2022 at 8:02 PM, Clyde1998 said:

I assumed FIFA wouldn't allow friendlies that clash with the World Cup?

If games are allowed, makes sense to pick at least one opponent who hasn't qualified. Wouldn't imagine the clubs would be too happy though.

14 hours ago, min said:

I assumed FIFA wouldn't allow friendlies that clash with the World Cup?

If games are allowed, makes sense to pick at least one opponent who hasn't qualified. Wouldn't imagine the clubs would be too happy though.

They probably wouldn't be too happy, but there always seems to be friendlies outside the normal international calendar outside of Europe and South America. Of course, clubs wouldn't be required to release players (I don't think they're required to release players for any friendly mind), but Scottish clubs could possibly have their arms twisted and the SFA could call them 'B team' matches to reduce the chance of FIFA speaking out; some of the smaller English clubs could be willing to let players go too (if they don't have league matches).

Depending on where they end up after the transfer window, players like Liam Kelly, Lewis Ferguson, Ryan Porteous and Stephen Welsh getting some more game time using some different tactics in front of the Scotland staff would be beneficial; having a look at some of the U21 players against someone like Jordan or Oman would give a good guide of their current usefulness to the first team.

A training camp would be a lot more likely than a series of friendlies and much easier to get clubs to release players for.

49 minutes ago, Clyde1998 said:

They probably wouldn't be too happy, but there always seems to be friendlies outside the normal international calendar outside of Europe and South America. Of course, clubs wouldn't be required to release players (I don't think they're required to release players for any friendly mind), but Scottish clubs could possibly have their arms twisted and the SFA could call them 'B team' matches to reduce the chance of FIFA speaking out; some of the smaller English clubs could be willing to let players go too (if they don't have league matches).

The clubs have no choice but to release players chosen for any senior UEFA or FIFA recognised international, even if it is just a friendly. They do though have the right to request that their players be withdrawn, it is then up to the FA in question whether to do so.

The only occasion when clubs are allowed to refuse to release players is when you play a friendly against a non-FIFA or UEFA recognised team such as Catalonia or Corsica.

On 6/24/2022 at 11:33 PM, ErsatzThistle said:

How about Wales? Not far to travel. They'd be a challenging opponent for us (hopefully they'd see us in a similar light?). Might be good for our players and coaching staff to see close up how a team that has consistently been more successful than us goes about its business?

Or maybe a highly skillful Eastern European team like Poland or Serbia?

31 minutes ago, mcguffin said:

How about Wales? Not far to travel. They'd be a challenging opponent for us (hopefully they'd see us in a similar light?). Might be good for our players and coaching staff to see close up how a team that has consistently been more successful than us goes about its business?

Or maybe a highly skillful Eastern European team like Poland or Serbia?

Dont see what we could learn from playing Poland again so soon after the last time.

1 hour ago, thesaint said:

Dont see what we could learn from playing Poland again so soon after the last time.

Fair point. I was just thinking in terms of a strong opponent to try out newer players, backup keeper and so on.

What's your view on the Wales suggestion?

• 1 month later...
On 6/24/2022 at 10:33 PM, ErsatzThistle said:

I’d like a game like the time we played Nigeria pre World Cup at Craven Cottage. Dead easy for me to get to (1.5 hrs on the train) and only have to take a day off work. Mexico in London? 

J

Edited by Bristolhibby

21 minutes ago, Bristolhibby said:

I’d like a game like the time we played Nigeria pre World Cup at Craven Cottage. Dead easy for me to get to (1.5 hrs on the train) and only have to take a day off work. Mexico in London? 

J

I doubt many will come to Europe before the WC for a training camp... most will probably head for the Middle East or North Africa for warmer weather.

That would mean we would need someone to pay for us to go out there for a game.

If we play at home or in the UK, I suspect it will be a send off game for England or (more likely) Wales, maybe the USA will stop off in Europe on way to Qatar for a game. 

5 minutes ago, Malcolm said:

i don’t see that value of a friendly.  We have plenty nations league games. No danger Andy Robertson is going to turn up for a meaningless game.

with the cost of living crisis and run up to Xmas you might get 10k for a crowd.

FIFA have a November date set aside, so we would have been playing any way.

With the October dates scrapped for this year, September 2022 to March 2023 is a long time to go without a Scotland game, and think we will play at least one game in November, and the SFA will be most likely trying to get a training camp out of it in the Middle East.

1 hour ago, wanderer said:

FIFA have a November date set aside, so we would have been playing any way.

All I can see on the FIFA 2020-24 calendar (updated Jan 2022) is that players are released from 14-Nov, with WC games beginning 21-Nov.   That must still be out of date as games begin 20-Nov.

14 minutes ago, Grim Jim said:

All I can see on the FIFA 2020-24 calendar (updated Jan 2022) is that players are released from 14-Nov, with WC games beginning 21-Nov.   That must still be out of date as games begin 20-Nov.

At moment there is not many friendlies announced, but Wednesday the 16th is looking a popular date (you have Mexico v Sweden and Croatia v Saudi Arabia that night with a hand full of low key friendlies)... around that its dotted games here and there, with Iraq v Belgium on Tue the 15th (Iraq are also playing Mexico on the 9th) and Switzerland v Ghana on the 17th that stick out.

So if we are going to play any game, it will most likely be on Wed the 16th of November.

If I had to guess, I think we will only go to the Middle East on basis we get two high quality games that the two opponent teams will pay for us to go out.... a single game at home or in Europe I suspect is the most likely scenario. 

Edited by wanderer