November Friendly ? - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

November Friendly ?

ErsatzThistle

Any chance we might be playing a friendly in November ?

Plenty of teams going to the world cup will be looking for warm up friendly opponents.

I think we should arrange one and maybe also have a joint senior/Under 21 training camp.

It would be a good chance to give someone like Liam Kelly experience in goal, or maybe even give the lies of Calvin Ramsay or Elliot Anderson twenty minutes off the bench.

Friendlies are a bit naff but if we're going to play one it'd have to be against a World Cup bound side. Mexico, perhaps?  It could be a "return" fixture for the friendly we played against them in 2018.

We definitely need to blood a new goalie too.

15 hours ago, ErsatzThistle said:

Any chance we might be playing a friendly in November ?

Plenty of teams going to the world cup will be looking for warm up friendly opponents.

I think we should arrange one and maybe also have a joint senior/Under 21 training camp.

It would be a good chance to give someone like Liam Kelly experience in goal, or maybe even give the lies of Calvin Ramsay or Elliot Anderson twenty minutes off the bench.

I'd be surprised if we don't have multiple European teams approaching us for a warm up friendly. We are the exact calibre that these countries would want to test themselves against. Not the elite, but not too weak to learn from. 

I'd like to see some of our younger players getting more caps under their belt. Patterson, Hickey, Gilmour, Turnbull. Those 4 have more than a decade of internationals ahead of them. The more experience they get the better. 

Depending on what McRorie does next, I'd happily throw him in the deep end, too. Though I reckon Gordon has his sights on getting into the top 3 record cap holder. Only 11 more caps and he is above Fletcher in 3rd.

Edited by Tartan blood

As there is no October international's, I think its almost certain we will play in November.

Chances are probably strong that we will play one from Iran and the USA (I could see us heading to somewhere like Turkey or United Arab Emirates to take part in some teams pre-tournament friendlies (I doubt we will do anything like Peru and Mexico again, as most the teams from that part of the world will probably be aiming to get to the Middle East weeks in advance to prepare themselves for the heat)

Although I think there will be some sort of friendly in November, the window is limited.

Scottish Premiership / English Premier League / Championship all break up on 12th of November. The World Cup starts on 21st of November (24th for the last first round matches). Can't see any qualified country wanting to play a match less than 7 days before their first competitive match, so we may play a match on 15/16th against a qualified side and that's it. I suppose we could also play a match at the weekend (18-20th) against another side who failed to qualify.

6 minutes ago, todd said:

I think we had, subconsciously 

Hope the virtue signalling brigade are happy. Very proud of you. Of all the teams that have played Ukraine recently we have been the only one who looked as if they were scared to try and beat them in case anybody thought badly of them. Stupid fuckers. 

1 hour ago, thesaint said:

Hope the virtue signalling brigade are happy. Very proud of you. Of all the teams that have played Ukraine recently we have been the only one who looked as if they were scared to try and beat them in case anybody thought badly of them. Stupid fuckers. 

That's what I've been saying too, Wales, for example, clearly didn't give a fuck and got on with it like we should've.  Even the pre-match build up to their game wasn't the right on Ukraine love-in ours was!

1 hour ago, tartan davie said:

still have a return friendly against ukraine on 27 sept (no thats a real game)just dont know where yet

Don't think i could stand all that pish in the build up to the nations league games again. Still raging at sacrificing our first world cup in 24 years on the altar of virtue signalling. 

2 hours ago, thesaint said:

Don't think i could stand all that pish in the build up to the nations league games again. Still raging at sacrificing our first world cup in 24 years on the altar of virtue signalling. 

Cue some dong saying 'We were beaten fair and square by the better team'.  True they were better on the day but only because we were already beaten before a ball was even kicked!

35 minutes ago, todd said:

Cue some dong saying 'We were beaten fair and square by the better team'.  True they were better on the day but only because we were already beaten before a ball was even kicked!

Aye. Won't be long before some wallaper comes on saying how great they were. The game was already lost in our players heads before it started. It was as if we would have felt ashamed to beat them. God knows we don't ask for much, but lack of belief and commitment in front of a full house can never be seen as acceptable. Looking for Clarke to instill the sort of determination needed in such a match was quite obviously beyond him. Pathetic lack of bottle by all concerned. 

1 hour ago, thesaint said:

Aye. Won't be long before some wallaper comes on saying how great they were. The game was already lost in our players heads before it started. It was as if we would have felt ashamed to beat them. God knows we don't ask for much, but lack of belief and commitment in front of a full house can never be seen as acceptable. Looking for Clarke to instill the sort of determination needed in such a match was quite obviously beyond him. Pathetic lack of bottle by all concerned. 

Couldn't agree more mate, it turned out to be worse than I'd even predicted it to be.  If it had gone ahead in March like it should've we'd be looking forward to the World Cup right now 😒 

1 hour ago, sjd1972 said:

The women showing how it should be done, 3-0 up on Ukraine after 20 minutes.  

The right on brigade won't know what the fuck to do with that!  Womens team winning but against war torn Ukraine.  The self righteous paradox may just be too much for them 😬

3 hours ago, thesaint said:

Not a matter of how great they were but how bad we are, performances in Ireland and Armenia proved this.

We all know were the buck is supposed to stop.