Venues for 2026 World Cup announced - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Venues for 2026 World Cup announced


EddardStark
 Share

Recommended Posts

I don't think they have decided on which City will host the final.

I would be surprised that the US as the biggest provider of venues aren't going to be hosting the final. I've read a couple of atricles suggesting the final will be in either New York at the MetLife Stadium or in LA at the SoFi Stadium.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, Lion Rampant said:

I don't think they have decided on which City will host the final.

I would be surprised that the US as the biggest provider of venues aren't going to be hosting the final. I've read a couple of atricles suggesting the final will be in either New York at the MetLife Stadium or in LA at the SoFi Stadium.

BBC said Mexico City earlier but clearly that's not correct reading what is being said on numerous sites. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

54 minutes ago, EddardStark said:

BBC said Mexico City earlier but clearly that's not correct reading what is being said on numerous sites. 

Would imagine that Mexico City may get the opening game with the US getting the final.

I think they may prefer NY as the final venue as the time difference there is better for the European audience. Although they could play the game in LA at lunchtime with the roof closed if the weather was an issue.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Toepoke said:

Only 2 Canadian venues is a bit poor.

Also nowhere in the northern Mid-West states. I thought football was popular there?

 

I think the issue for them is stadiums with the adequate capacity. 

 

I was hoping the final would be in Dallas it has the largest capacity and is 3 hours for me, but I think the other options (NY and L.A) are proposed because of the supporting infrastructure of hotels and travel options. 

 

Edit - I just did a quick search for Canada and there are at least 6 stadiums with 35k+ capacity.

Edited by romanticscot
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, ProudScot said:

Can’t believe Canada, Mexico & USA all get automatic entry.

So easy for them to qualify as it is, 3 hosts and direct entry to them all is a bit of a joke. 

Exactly this.  I know FIFA and EUFA are seperate entities but I bet when it comes to Britain hosting euro 2028 all four of us don't get automatic qualification 🤔

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Also, why are hosts also seeded?  Is it not enough that they get automatic entry? Fair enough if they're a high ranking team anyway but Qatar, for example, at this years World Cup!  Ffs it shouldn't even be held there in the first place and they would never have qualified if they had to yet they get seeded.  It really is farcical 🙄

Link to comment
Share on other sites

45 minutes ago, todd said:

Also, why are hosts also seeded?  Is it not enough that they get automatic entry? Fair enough if they're a high ranking team anyway but Qatar, for example, at this years World Cup!  Ffs it shouldn't even be held there in the first place and they would never have qualified if they had to yet they get seeded.  It really is farcical 🙄

Hosts always go in a specific group so need to be seeded for that reason. Qatar are actually ranked higher than South Africa were in 2010.

 

2 hours ago, ProudScot said:

Can’t believe Canada, Mexico & USA all get automatic entry.

So easy for them to qualify as it is, 3 hosts and direct entry to them all is a bit of a joke. 

Given that there will potentially be 7 CONCACAF teams at WC26 it's a fair assumption that they'd all have qualified anyway.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

30 minutes ago, Toepoke said:

Hosts always go in a specific group so need to be seeded for that reason. Qatar are actually ranked higher than South Africa were in 2010.

 

Given that there will potentially be 7 CONCACAF teams at WC26 it's a fair assumption that they'd all have qualified anyway.

 

But can they not go in a specific group as 2nd, 3rd or 4th seed dependent on their ranking at the time? Can't be that hard to re-jig the draw with that criteria? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, todd said:

But can they not go in a specific group as 2nd, 3rd or 4th seed dependent on their ranking at the time? Can't be that hard to re-jig the draw with that criteria? 

World Cup finals groups are more geographically arranged than being seeded via pots as per the qualifying stage.

Qatar have got the Dutch anyway, who would more than likely have been seeded if Qatar weren't hosts, so the group has worked out evenly in terms of strength.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, Toepoke said:

World Cup finals groups are more geographically arranged than being seeded via pots as per the qualifying stage.

Qatar have got the Dutch anyway, who would more than likely have been seeded if Qatar weren't hosts, so the group has worked out evenly in terms of strength.

 

On this occasion.  You're probably right but still, it's not an ideal set up, the hosts automatically being seeds.  So come the euros 2028 we'll be top seeds, can't wait! 

Edited by todd
Link to comment
Share on other sites

49 minutes ago, todd said:

On this occasion.  You're probably right but still, it's not an ideal set up, the hosts automatically being seeds.  So come the euros 2028 we'll be top seeds, can't wait! 

A couple of caveats there, the joint bid will have to win, and we'll need to qualify!

The Euros draw is a bit different to the World Cup in that all the pots are decided by ranking points, although the hosts are always still seeds. 

TBH I've not got a problem with it. A country going to the effort of hosting the event should be given the privilege of knowing when and where they will be playing ahead of the draw.

 

2 hours ago, JECK said:

What a sh*t World Cup it will be, total overkill, full of mediocre teams.

Tend to agree, I think the three team groups is a terrible format. Although I'm fascinated to see how it will turn out in practice. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, Toepoke said:

Only 2 Canadian venues is a bit poor.

Also nowhere in the northern Mid-West states. I thought football was popular there?

 

yeah just read that - Edmonton missing out (seemingly the City & Feds put money in , but Provincial Govt late to the game ; not sure how much bearing this would of had though )- 56,000 capacity it says

know a few boys from here/ Calgary went up for world cup qualifiers (midweek evening kick off in winter....) 3hr ish drive from here

not sure what interest there would have been for 'neutral' games here tho.......

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Toepoke said:

A couple of caveats there, the joint bid will have to win, and we'll need to qualify!

The Euros draw is a bit different to the World Cup in that all the pots are decided by ranking points, although the hosts are always still seeds. 

TBH I've not got a problem with it. A country going to the effort of hosting the event should be given the privilege of knowing when and where they will be playing ahead of the draw.

 

Tend to agree, I think the three team groups is a terrible format. Although I'm fascinated to see how it will turn out in practice. 

Why will we need to qualify if we're hosts?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

25 minutes ago, todd said:

Why will we need to qualify if we're hosts?

Possibly not decided yet...

"The five nations would not automatically qualify for the tournament because Uefa grants that privilege only when a maximum of two countries are chosen as hosts. However the Guardian understands that the five nations share a belief that each should be able to compete in the finals."

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2022/mar/22/uk-and-republic-of-ireland-in-line-to-host-euro-2028-after-no-one-else-bids

 

Although I see there's talk of extending the Euros to 32 teams which would possibly be a way around letting 5 hosts qualify automatically. 

(Personally I think a 24 team Euros is too big as it is).

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 minutes ago, Toepoke said:

Possibly not decided yet...

"The five nations would not automatically qualify for the tournament because Uefa grants that privilege only when a maximum of two countries are chosen as hosts. However the Guardian understands that the five nations share a belief that each should be able to compete in the finals."

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2022/mar/22/uk-and-republic-of-ireland-in-line-to-host-euro-2028-after-no-one-else-bids

 

Although I see there's talk of extending the Euros to 32 teams which would possibly be a way around letting 5 hosts qualify automatically. 

(Personally I think a 24 team Euros is too big as it is).

 

 

I didn't realise ROI were involved too, thought it was just a British bid.  5 teams automatically qualified is a bit of a stretch 🤔

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, todd said:

I didn't realise ROI were involved too, thought it was just a British bid.  5 teams automatically qualified is a bit of a stretch 🤔

Although it would have to be all of the hosts or none of them automatically qualify?  You'd think!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 hours ago, Toepoke said:

Only 2 Canadian venues is a bit poor.

Also nowhere in the northern Mid-West states. I thought football was popular there?

Almost seems pointless having Canada as part of the bid with only two stadia; I believe Montreal withdrew due to the costs of upgrading their Olympic Stadium to modern World Cup standards. Whether the plan was to have three venues in Canada, like in Mexico, initially is not something I know. There were other places which were rejected as host cities, or never submitted a bit, from Canada: Regina, Calgary, Edmonton and Ottawa were among them.

Minneapolis and Chicago withdrew from the venue bidding process due to FIFA not being open enough about the financial aspects of hosting matches. Chicago especially would've no doubt been a shoo-in had they proceeded with their bid.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, todd said:

Although it would have to be all of the hosts or none of them automatically qualify?  You'd think!

You'd hope, unless there's some sort of agreement between the associations otherwise.

I believe as part of the Nordic Euro 2008 bid, there was talk of a pre-qualification process where all of the host nations would play each other in a mini-tournament, with the winner (and possibly the second-placed team) getting the 'automatic' spot(s) and the others going into qualifying as normal. I can't see that happening here though, as they'd struggle to fit it into the schedule prior to the main qualifiers - especially with five teams.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 6/17/2022 at 5:06 PM, todd said:

Exactly this.  I know FIFA and EUFA are seperate entities but I bet when it comes to Britain hosting euro 2028 all four of us don't get automatic qualification 🤔

Considering Scotland are only putting forward one stadium (Hampden), there's no reason for them to get automatic qualification. Maybe if we had put Murrayfield forward too, or one of Ibrox and Parkhead, we'd have a case.

Am I right in thinking we'll be the first country to ever "host" the Euros or World Cup, and not be represented by our capital city?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share



×
×
  • Create New...