Qatar 2022 World Cup Finals - Page 9 - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Qatar 2022 World Cup Finals

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

16 minutes ago, vanderark14 said:

Lol wales. Mon the yanks

+1 

Wouldn't count my chickens yet though as Wales have a habit of getting late goals. It's a different game if one of the booked USA players gets a second yellow. They'll need a second goal to put Wales away. 

3 minutes ago, irish said:

+1 

Wouldn't count my chickens yet though as Wales have a habit of getting late goals. It's a different game if one of the booked USA players gets a second yellow. They'll need a second goal to put Wales away. 

good point. Been impressed by USA. The speed with which they run and pass the ball around is something to watch. And Pulisic has been excellent.

That was the right result, I think.  Wales were toothless in the first half but looked a different team in the second.  I thought they looked fitter than the Americans in the second half too, almost as if the US had burnt themselves out a bit.

This is an interesting group. Wales played better 2nd half. I think putting Keifer Moore on put some doubts into the minds of the USA defenders. Also, will be interesting to see if Iran show up in the next game against Wales (hopefully with their keeper recovered). And if USA can cut out the rash challenges, I wonder if they can cause England some problems against England's defence? (Weah and Perisic etc.  running at speed against the likes of Trippier and Maguire?)

5 minutes ago, scotlad said:

That was the right result, I think.  Wales were toothless in the first half but looked a different team in the second.  I thought they looked fitter than the Americans in the second half too, almost as if the US had burnt themselves out a bit.

I agree on all points.

2 hours ago, Malcolm said:

The refereeing has been shocking.  Stone wall penalty for harry maguire.

Naw,. He ran into defenders and they grabbed into him to stop falling over.

Wasnae even a foul.

McGuire was at fault 

Stop listening to the false narrative 

1 hour ago, runningtings said:

So far Qatar, Iran and Wales have been utter pish, makes it ever more galling that we shat it in that Ukraine play-off match.

If we hadn't shat it then we probably would have in Cardiff. 

Fair play to the Welsh, I thought they were excellent after half time.

7 hours ago, mcguffin said:

Yep fingers crossed. (2 days in and already I've had enough of the media punditry. If the pundits are correct ? Doesn't bear thinking about: It'll be like 1966 but with Social Media and 'football' analysts).

Guess I was way off, USA probably better team in that game, both pretty shite though

6 hours ago, Orraloon said:

England will romp through this group. Easiest group in the tournament.

Yep my hopes of any upset gone after that performance from both teams

1 hour ago, mcguffin said:

This is an interesting group. Wales played better 2nd half. I think putting Keifer Moore on put some doubts into the minds of the USA defenders. Also, will be interesting to see if Iran show up in the next game against Wales (hopefully with their keeper recovered). And if USA can cut out the rash challenges, I wonder if they can cause England some problems against England's defence? (Weah and Perisic etc.  running at speed against the likes of Trippier and Maguire?)

Think you mean Pulasic (spelling) 
Moore gave Wales much more up top for sure, can see him starting against England. 

4 minutes ago, Kirk said:

Guess I was way off, USA probably better team in that game, both pretty shite though

Yep my hopes of any upset gone after that performance from both teams

Think you mean Pulasic (spelling) 
Moore gave Wales much more up top for sure, can see him starting against England. 

yes, sorry, Pulisic. I agree, can see Moore starting.

10 hours ago, runningtings said:

So far Qatar, Iran and Wales have been utter pish, makes it ever more galling that we shat it in that Ukraine play-off match.

You see these comments every tournaments we’re not there. Aye cause we would have strolled past USA 3-0 clearly. Both wales and USA are better than you think and both would probably edge us if the turkey performance is anything to go by.Remember when we were at the euros and a pretty average Czech team done us 2-0, it was embarrassing, still livid about that game. We were like rabbits in the headlights. And  outclassed in the most part v Croatia. We only showed up v England meaning we can’t raise our game consistently which just isn’t good enough.

FIFA are making an absolute c**t of this.  From threatening players with bookings for wearing the One Love armband they've now apparently demanded that Belgium remove the word "Love" from the inside of their away jersey (which incidentally has absolutely nothing to do with the One Love movement and is actually linked to the Tomorrowlands festival where the Love in question is more likely to be linked to people being eccied out their tits!!).  So we've reached a stage where FIFA are effectively endorsing and enforcing homophobia and exclusivity.  Add that to the Wales fans having their rainbow bucket hats confiscated on the way in to last nights game and it's really not a good look for this World Cup at all.

31 minutes ago, JECK said:

You see these comments every tournaments we’re not there. Aye cause we would have strolled past USA 3-0 clearly. Both wales and USA are better than you think and both would probably edge us if the turkey performance is anything to go by.Remember when we were at the euros and a pretty average Czech team done us 2-0, it was embarrassing, still livid about that game. We were like rabbits in the headlights. And  outclassed in the most part v Croatia. We only showed up v England meaning we can’t raise our game consistently which just isn’t good enough.

I agree.

We are in no position whatsoever to criticise a team from coming from behind to get a point in a World Cup Finals match (Wales). No matter how jealous or how much they hate Wales or England fans it does not mean all realism has to go out of your posts.

The 6-2 win for England could work both ways. They may think that all is well with their game but I'd be concerned that a poor Iran side scored two goals despite hardly getting into their opponents penalty area. It tells me (and its shown in recent games) that England have a ropey defence who will find it tough when better attacks go at their defence.

With Wales a draw was deserved from what I saw. And they'll only have themselves to blame if they do not go through as I'd expect them to beat Iran.

I'm not sure I'm a fan of all this added time after games. I think it might make the games even more pedestrian until the later stages. If they are going down this route then they should also be clamping down on the time wasting that leads to the added time in the first place. Games lasting two hours is starting to get OTT.

Just now, Orraloon said:

I'm not sure I'm a fan of all this added time after games. I think it might make the games even more pedestrian until the later stages. If they are going down this route then they should also be clamping down on the time wasting that leads to the added time in the first place. Games lasting two hours is starting to get OTT.

For me time wasting would be stopped if the clock is stopped until ball is back in play.

2 minutes ago, Toepoke said:

The USA really need to get something from England now, otherwise they could be left helpless as England and Wales kick the ball about for a draw.

I don't think England will do that. It's more likely to go down to who scores most against Iran. 

2 hours ago, JECK said:

and if the recent Ukraine matches and the IReland match is anything to go by we would beat Wales and USA