Qatar 2022 World Cup Finals - Page 8 - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Qatar 2022 World Cup Finals

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, scotlad said:

Oh, I agree mate. I said it myself, they're footballers, not politicians, and the people who tried to turn them into something they're not are abdicating responsibility.

However, if you're vocal about making a stand you should have the guts to carry it through. Don't write cheques your butt can't cash, as England's next group opponents might say.

Totally agree with this. 

Same goes for the BBC and Sky sports pundits, all happy to head out to Qatar and get paid for it when they could have stayed at home. I can't be arsed watching any sort of build up to games in an international tournament anymore. It was bad enough when they always shoe horned England into discussions but at least they used to chat about football. Now its about whether someone will wear an armband and or how players will protest.

Anyone remember when you used to be able to watch a game of football and was all about switching off from the world for a couple of hours? 

2 hours ago, Malcolm said:

if wales win tonight I’d fancy them to do what we never have and get out the group.  Suspect they may draw tonight.

if we had qualified I think we could have got out of this group. Not much between us, Iran and USA.

Come on, we'd find some way of fucking it up, we always do - or did. 🤣

2 hours ago, mcguffin said:

What's the best result in this evenings Wales vs USA do you think? I mean in terms of keeping the group 'open' (i.e. not a total stroll for the team currently playing Iran?)

There's not much between them. I'd say the USA are probably a bit better than Wales on paper but both are better than Iran. If they approach their game with England the right way I think they can cause more problems than Iran managed earlier.

7 minutes ago, Malcolm said:

both Senegal and the Dutch would beat us comfortably 

Great post champ .... totally irrelevant to mine right enough

Would be interesting to know how many goals African teams have scored at World Cup finals - Cameroon excepted

2 minutes ago, Ally Bongo said:

Great post champ .... totally irrelevant to mine right enough

Would be interesting to know how many goals African teams have scored at World Cup finals - Cameroon excepted

don’t know but since the 80s African teams have been pretty good.  Who can forget at the surprise when Egypt came and spanked us 3-1 at pitodrie

1 minute ago, Malcolm said:

don’t know but since the 80s African teams have been pretty good.  Who can forget at the surprise when Egypt came and spanked us 3-1 at pitodrie

Again - that wasn't at a World Cup

For all African teams promise they always seem to have difficulty scoring at World Cup finals

Nigeria was another example

Big, strong and technically gifted - streets ahead of us - but they dont deliver due to lack of goals

51 minutes ago, Malcolm said:

both Senegal and the Dutch would beat us comfortably 

We drew 2-2 against the Dutch last year and would have won the game 2-1 but for a dodgy free kick that should never have been awarded.

You really don't half post some amount of woefully informed, pig ignorant shite on this forum.

3 minutes ago, ErsatzThistle said:

We drew 2-2 against the Dutch last year and would have won the game 2-1 but for a dodgy free kick that should never have been awarded.

You really don't half post some amount of woefully informed, pig ignorant shite on this forum.

it’s called an opinion and mine is that we are not as good as some think we are, and we would lose against both these teams.  One result against the Dutch does not mean we are as good as them.  

9 minutes ago, Malcolm said:

it’s called an opinion and mine is that we are not as good as some think we are, and we would lose against both these teams.  One result against the Dutch does not mean we are as good as them.  

Why do all of your opinions seem to be  so negative?

Edited by vanderark14

37 minutes ago, vanderark14 said:

Why do all of your opinions seem to be  so negative?

its not a negative opinion to think that teams ranked more than 20 and 30 spots ahead of us and have far more recent world cup experience than us would beat is comfortably.

i think we delude ourselves on where we sit in world football.