Qatar 2022 World Cup Finals - Page 7 - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Qatar 2022 World Cup Finals

15 minutes ago, Nobby said:

Nope 👎 fifa have said that any captain wearing the armband would be booked. You’d have to be thick to get a yellow card for walking on the pitch and presumably again in the next  game and then miss the next (without and cards actually picked up whilst playing) thats not bottling it, it’s having to put up with the rules that fifa lay down. 

So a simple gesture of solidarity with an oppressed group of people goes out the window because it might slightly hinder the chances of a non-oppressed group of very wealthy young men doing a bit better in a football tournament?

How brave of them.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 minutes ago, scotlad said:

That's more like it from Iran. 👍

Although Harry Maguire looks like he might be coming off, so it's only likely to be a temporary set-back for England.

The guy took the goal really well.

Sadly these changes for England could take this to about 8-1

15 minutes ago, scotlad said:

So a simple gesture of solidarity with an oppressed group of people goes out the window because it might slightly hinder the chances of a non-oppressed group of very wealthy young men doing a bit better in a football tournament?

How brave of them.

Like it or not their first job is to go there and win football matches not solve the problems of the world. Whilst it is a noble cause and gesture and one that I support it should not jeopardise what they are actually there for. 

3 minutes ago, Kirk said:

I suspect Iran were mentally all over the shop in the first half. First of all it must have taken some balls to not sing the national anthem (small gesture I know, in support of their mothers, sisters, wives, girlfriends, but still). And secondly their keeper being stretchered off (one of their best players). As soon as they were 0-2 down, that would have been Quieroz's game plan out the window. So the die was cast.

I feel a bit sorry for the Iran boys. They're going to be trashed by their own media I expect?

4 minutes ago, Kirk said:

That's what they should have done from the word go, targted England's weak points - namely big dozy slab heid Maguire and old T-Rex arms in goal.

Iran are woeful though, I'd even fancy our chances of getting a draw with them. Or losing narrowly... maybe.

1 minute ago, Nobby said:

Like it or not their first job is to go there and win football matches not solve the problems of the world. Whilst it is a noble cause and gesture and one that I support it should not jeopardise what they are actually there for. 

Oh, I agree mate. I said it myself, they're footballers, not politicians, and the people who tried to turn them into something they're not are abdicating responsibility.

However, if you're vocal about making a stand you should have the guts to carry it through. Don't write cheques your butt can't cash, as England's next group opponents might say.

7 minutes ago, scotlad said:

That's what they should have done from the word go, targted England's weak points - namely big dozy slab heid Maguire and old T-Rex arms in goal.

Iran are woeful though, I'd even fancy our chances of getting a draw with them. Or losing narrowly... maybe.

if wales win tonight I’d fancy them to do what we never have and get out the group.  Suspect they may draw tonight.

if we had qualified I think we could have got out of this group. Not much between us, Iran and USA.

8 minutes ago, mcguffin said:

I suspect Iran were mentally all over the shop in the first half. First of all it must have taken some balls to not sing the national anthem (small gesture I know, in support of their mothers, sisters, wives, girlfriends, but still). And secondly their keeper being stretchered off (one of their best players). As soon as they were 0-2 down, that would have been Quieroz's game plan out the window. So the die was cast.

I feel a bit sorry for the Iran boys. They're going to be trashed by their own media I expect?

Aye the loss of the keeper so early not ideal at all. Feel like england could turn it up a few gears if needed though.

7 minutes ago, scotlad said:

Exactly a few through balls and shots early on would have put the shiters up england. A good team will beat england although as above they could turn it on a bit more if needed.

As for all this armband wearing is nonsene. if you cared that much you wouldnt go and play in the tournament. You know what that country is and weather you like it or not its not yours to change or protest. They would be the first cunts to moan if it happened in England

7 minutes ago, Malcolm said:

if wales win tonight I’d fancy them to do what we never have and get out the group.  Suspect they may draw tonight.

if we had qualified I think we could have got out of this group. Not much between us, Iran and USA.

We are way better than Iran....

9 minutes ago, mcguffin said:

What's the best result in this evenings Wales vs USA do you think? I mean in terms of keeping the group 'open' (i.e. not a total stroll for the team currently playing Iran?)

Wales probably slightly stronger than USA so Wales win?

3 minutes ago, Kirk said:

Wales probably slightly stronger than USA so Wales win?

I see your thinking. Meaning that Wales will need to beat Iran. And then it's all on their final game against England?
It'll be interesting to see what USA and Wales are like tonight. (And I have a feeling that surely Iran will be better in the next games, so maybe they might cause USA/Wales problems?)
Anyway, only 1 game in so all to play for I guess.

10 minutes ago, mcguffin said:

I see your thinking. Meaning that Wales will need to beat Iran. And then it's all on their final game against England?
It'll be interesting to see what USA and Wales are like tonight. (And I have a feeling that surely Iran will be better in the next games, so maybe they might cause USA/Wales problems?)
Anyway, only 1 game in so all to play for I guess.

Yeah Ideally Wales do enough to win the group giving England a tougher next round game. Iran should improve, they looked ok in spells. England are also pretty sketchy at the back and Wales and USA should have the attacking players to take advantage of that. This group could open up quite easily. England hopefully getting ahead of themselves

5 minutes ago, Kirk said:

Yeah Ideally Wales do enough to win the group giving England a tougher next round game. Iran should improve, they looked ok in spells. England are also pretty sketchy at the back and Wales and USA should have the attacking players to take advantage of that. This group could open up quite easily. England hopefully getting ahead of themselves

Yep fingers crossed. (2 days in and already I've had enough of the media punditry. If the pundits are correct ? Doesn't bear thinking about: It'll be like 1966 but with Social Media and 'football' analysts).

30 minutes ago, Kirk said:

England will romp through this group. Easiest group in the tournament.