Qatar 2022 World Cup Finals - Page 38 - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Qatar 2022 World Cup Finals

6 hours ago, vanderark14 said:

I'll be disappointed when the world cup ends. Its been a good tournament and as an added bonus this board has been very good

Only one game back involving the OF and you can see what it reverts back to

Agreed, I much prefer international football, far more entertaining than listening to OF pish. 

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

39 minutes ago, Fairbairn said:

I doubt it's a coincidence that Infantino was saying Saudi should get a chance to host just prior to this tournament starting.

Didn't realise that. Would rather see 2030 go to Morocco to be honest. (But if it's Saudi, well, that's the world we live in I guess).

5 minutes ago, mcguffin said:

Didn't realise that. Would rather see 2030 go to Morocco to be honest. (But if it's Saudi, well, that's the world we live in I guess).

Yeah I mentioned it a few weeks ago after Infantino was at a game sitting next to the Saudi crown prince.

If anyone thought Qatar was bad in terms of human rights etc, they have nothing on Saudi who are grand masters.

Lots of hypocrisy.

16 minutes ago, fringo said:

Yeah I mentioned it a few weeks ago after Infantino was at a game sitting next to the Saudi crown prince.

If anyone thought Qatar was bad in terms of human rights etc, they have nothing on Saudi who are grand masters.

Lots of hypocrisy.

Thanks Fringo. 😒

21 minutes ago, fringo said:

Lots of hypocrisy.

I had to laugh at all the pundits going on and on about human rights in Qatar, then a couple of hours later they were virtually creaming themselves over Saudi Arabia beating Argentina. 

2 hours ago, fringo said:

Lots of hypocrisy.

There’s no such thing as hypocrisy when brown envelopes are the deciding factor in fifa  making decisions, they make bojo & his pals look positively angelic 😵💫

Morocco and Croatia were probably my favourite teams in this World Cup. It's a toss up, but I think I'd like to see Modric pick up a third-place medal today, to go out of World Cup football with a high.

Interestingly, Dalic is suggesting he might extend his international career to Euro 2024. So today might not be the last time we see Modric on the international stage?:
https://www.espn.com/soccer/croatia-cro/story/4832882/croatia-luka-modric-could-extend-international-career-to-euro-2024-dalic?device=featurephone

10 minutes ago, mcguffin said:

Morocco and Croatia were probably my favourite teams in this World Cup. It's a toss up, but I think I'd like to see Modric pick up a third-place medal today, to go out of World Cup football with a high.

Interestingly, Dalic is suggesting he might extend his international career to Euro 2024. So today might not be the last time we see Modric on the international stage?:
https://www.espn.com/soccer/croatia-cro/story/4832882/croatia-luka-modric-could-extend-international-career-to-euro-2024-dalic?device=featurephone

Been said about a lot of players last tournament, Bale, Ronaldo and half the Croatian team but the next Euros is only 18 months away. Playing top class football into your late 30’s will become more common with the sports science and medical/nutritional knowledge that’s available for this generation of players 

2 minutes ago, dan cake said:

Been said about a lot of players last tournament, Bale, Ronaldo and half the Croatian team but the next Euros is only 18 months away. Playing top class football into your late 30’s will become more common with the sports science and medical/nutritional knowledge that’s available for this generation of players 

Good point!

This might be a bit controversial but I think Croatia’s performance in this tournament has been over rated by quite a bit. They only won one game in 90 minutes in the whole tournament and only scored 2 goals against a team that wasn’t Canada. They’ve been neat and tidy and Modric has pulled the strings as usual but I think they can thank a large slice of luck and a pish Belgium team (and a good keeper tbf) for getting as far as they did. 

40 minutes ago, Fairbairn said:

This might be a bit controversial but I think Croatia’s performance in this tournament has been over rated by quite a bit. They only won one game in 90 minutes in the whole tournament and only scored 2 goals against a team that wasn’t Canada. They’ve been neat and tidy and Modric has pulled the strings as usual but I think they can thank a large slice of luck and a pish Belgium team (and a good keeper tbf) for getting as far as they did. 

You make some good points, and Croatia's goal tally is not good. They certainly lacked a goal scoring threat. But I'd argue though that they competed in every game (even up to the penalty against potential WC winners Argentina), and never looked out  of their depth (mainly by having a superb midfield). Yes a large slice of luck to get as far as they have. But it maybe takes more than luck to be finalists and in the 3rd place playoff game in consecutive World Cups?

That said, in just over an hours time, they'll probably get hammered by Morocco and my post might look a bit dated.😀

Edited by mcguffin

52 minutes ago, Fairbairn said:

Is the keeper no part of the team, like?

Croatia have always struggled to score goals - probably their one weakness.

18 minutes ago, dan cake said:

59 players at the World Cup were born in France yet only 37% are in the French squad. Incredible stat and what a testimony to their academy system 

That's a phenomenal statistic!

(Also, watching Morocco vs Croatia at the moment. Entertaining game. Excellent play from both sides.)

Great game between two very good teams. But I think Croatia deserved that one.
If they can find a striker, or the likes of Petkovic can find their shooting boots, Croatia should be a team to watch in the Euro2024 qualifiers. (To be honest, their most dangerous looking striker was their central defender Gvardiol. Scored one and should have got a penalty when tripped when through on goal. Hope the VAR officials enjoyed their day off 😀)