Qatar 2022 World Cup Finals - Page 35 - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Qatar 2022 World Cup Finals

4 minutes ago, vanderark14 said:

Is this a picture of your mind?

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 hours ago, Malcolm said:

England are better than that, they went toe to toe with the likely winners yesterday.  And Bellingham, what a footballer- he will be the best player in the world soon. The may well win euro 2024.

Yes, let's not get too smug. They are a young improving team with great strength in depth. The law of averages says they will win a major tournament soon. Just hope they get a tougher draw next tournament as they have been helped by kind draws.

5 minutes ago, Third Lanark said:

Yes, let's not get too smug. They are a young improving team with great strength in depth. The law of averages says they will win a major tournament soon. Just hope they get a tougher draw next tournament as they have been helped by kind draws.

They didn't improve, they reached the quarter finals which is a stage less than the previous world cup. They fell short again as they always do. Here's the list of countries the mighty England have beaten in knock out football 

Screenshot_20221211_154146_WhatsApp.jpg

3 hours ago, Malcolm said:

England are better than that, they went toe to toe with the likely winners yesterday.  And Bellingham, what a footballer- he will be the best player in the world soon. The may well win euro 2024.

Your hard on for the england football team is amusing.

England got as far as they should have.

As for winning next time....

Is Bellingham better than Gascoigne🤔, I very much doubt it ,they didn't win with him (and home advantage) they won't win in 2024.

As yir man said, england are a q/f team, occasionally they exceed that, occasionally they fall below. 

Edited by stocky

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Hard to bare. No doubt England were the better side. Next time. <a href="https://t.co/HAdmxBju4H">pic.twitter.com/HAdmxBju4H</a></p>&mdash; Stephen Flynn MP (@StephenFlynnSNP) <a href="https://twitter.com/StephenFlynnSNP/status/1601683342272757760?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">December 10, 2022</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Just now, duncan II said:

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Hard to bare. No doubt England were the better side. Next time. <a href="https://t.co/HAdmxBju4H">pic.twitter.com/HAdmxBju4H</a></p>&mdash; Stephen Flynn MP (@StephenFlynnSNP) <a href="https://twitter.com/StephenFlynnSNP/status/1601683342272757760?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">December 10, 2022</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Ach, made an arse of that. Never mind. I'm 50.

Anyway, Flynn misreads room and also doesn't know how to spell "bear". Not that interesting really.

They're hyping this Bellingham character for all they're worth at the moment.  He certainly looks a good player although the USA ran circles round him.  All the hype reminds me of someone else not that long ago.  Dele Alli was his name.  Currently residing in the "where is he now" file to use a Spinal Tapism.

27 minutes ago, daviebee said:

They're hyping this Bellingham character for all they're worth at the moment.  He certainly looks a good player although the USA ran circles round him.  All the hype reminds me of someone else not that long ago.  Dele Alli was his name.  Currently residing in the "where is he now" file to use a Spinal Tapism.

Does seem a really great young player. But there is certainly some hype. Which is fair enough (the media have to write/say something positive occassionally?).
I do wonder if the media in other comparably 'big footballing' nations hype their young stars to the same extent?: E.g. if we take France. Tchouameni is still only 22 (and his opening goal for France last night was quality). Mbappe only 23 (and already has a World Cup Winner's medal in his pocket), Camavinga only 20 (and played in last years Champion's league final on the winning side). Do 'L'Equipe' and other French outlets hype them up? I expect they do? Would be interesting to know.

4 hours ago, daviebee said:

Bellingham looks to be a bit more grounded, Dele Alli believed the hype.

10 hours ago, Hertsscot said:

I do understand that Bellingham is the greatest player that ever walked the earth but they just keep falling into the same trap don't they? they just thrape themselves into a frenzy about any player that shows a bit of promise then start winding eachother up believing their own hype. 
Saka was their best player by a mile, so they hooked him and left Kane on, it's all just so very funny. 

44 minutes ago, Bzzzz said:

I do understand that Bellingham is the greatest player that ever walked the earth but they just keep falling into the same trap don't they? they just thrape themselves into a frenzy about any player that shows a bit of promise then start winding eachother up believing their own hype. 
Saka was their best player by a mile, so they hooked him and left Kane on, it's all just so very funny. 

Agree with you on Saka, hooked because he’d taken one kick to many. The French were booting him all over the place

Normally the English are delusional going in to a tournament and the scathing when they inevitably get knocked out.  You'd think they'd narrowly lost in the final with all the "really close to winning it" guff we've heard since Saturday.  No, you got knocked out in the quarter finals by the first decent team you faced and only managed to beat teams you absolutely should have beaten (and I guess we're just glossing over the USA draw now!).

7 minutes ago, dan cake said:

Agree with you on Saka, hooked because he’d taken one kick to many. The French were booting him all over the place

To be fair to France, they were taking a few heavy challenges too, but tended to stay on their feet better (Giroud and Griezmann in particular). it paid off: two goals from open play.

16 hours ago, stocky said:

Your hard on for the england football team is amusing.

England got as far as they should have.

As for winning next time....

Is Bellingham better than Gascoigne🤔, I very much doubt it ,they didn't win with him (and home advantage) they won't win in 2024.

As yir man said, england are a q/f team, occasionally they exceed that, occasionally they fall below. 

I think Gascoigne is the one player they have had over the past few decades who could have made them into a trophy winning team. He was a level above anyone else they have had. They had a great chance to win it in 1990 but bottled it on pens against "The Germans". Gascoigne didn't play in 92. They didn't even qualify for 94 (papped oot by Norway). Their best chance should have been playing at home in 96 but they bottled the penalties again. Nae luck. 😂

11 hours ago, Hertsscot said:

He was the first player to console Kane after his miss so now he's the long-lost love child of Pele and Mother Theresa.  Fkin hell when the English latch onto a hero they dinnae do it by halves.

10 minutes ago, Fairbairn said:

Normally the English are delusional going in to a tournament and the scathing when they inevitably get knocked out.  You'd think they'd narrowly lost in the final with all the "really close to winning it" guff we've heard since Saturday.  No, you got knocked out in the quarter finals by the first decent team you faced and only managed to beat teams you absolutely should have beaten (and I guess we're just glossing over the USA draw now!).

Would the funniest scenario be France winning the tournament?  Or would any of the others p*ss them off more...

Croatia - "only 4 million of the kants and we're a global superpower";

Argentina - Hand of God, Simeone diving to get Beckham sent off, Falklands, etc.

Morocco - tinpot little African country coming out of left field.

I reckon France will win it despite their absolutely awful, bombscare defence.  They were tailor-made for an England side whose one tactic is to run along the edge of the box and succumb to the effects of gravity when someone looks at them.  However,  Croatia and Morocco don't go up the park often enough to trouble them.  Argentina might but could they outscore France?  Doubt it.

26 minutes ago, daviebee said:

Would the funniest scenario be France winning the tournament?  Or would any of the others p*ss them off more...

Croatia - "only 4 million of the kants and we're a global superpower";

Argentina - Hand of God, Simeone diving to get Beckham sent off, Falklands, etc.

Morocco - tinpot little African country coming out of left field.

I reckon France will win it despite their absolutely awful, bombscare defence.  They were tailor-made for an England side whose one tactic is to run along the edge of the box and succumb to the effects of gravity when someone looks at them.  However,  Croatia and Morocco don't go up the park often enough to trouble them.  Argentina might but could they outscore France?  Doubt it.

I'd like to see Messi win it however my wallet would appreciate France winning it more!

Anybody think another manager (Poch or Howe) would get more out of England? Surely Grealish deserves more than 1 and a half minutes in a knock out game you are chasing, genuinely can’t make my mind up if they are good but unlucky or just average and over hyped 

I don't know where this "England were the better team" stuff is coming from. France were clearly the better team and had that game under control. France weren't at their best with their final ball often just not quite spot on.  I'm happy for the English to think they were the better team, and hard done by, because that means they won't learn from their short comings. They are just not good enough at this level. If Morocco don't offer any more than England did, then France will be very happy. 

17 minutes ago, Orraloon said:

If Morocco don't offer any more than England did, then France will be very happy. 

This is a good analysis of Morocco. I think France will have their work cutout.  That said, with Griezmann and Giroud (with Mbappe playing the same scary decoy role as in the Quater-Final), they might be the only team so far who might unlock the amazing Moroccan defence?

Edited by mcguffin