Qatar 2022 World Cup Finals - Page 33 - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Qatar 2022 World Cup Finals

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Absolutely delighted at the result. Thought France had blown it during the second half though, they never really turned up, and I thought England were the better team. Thankfully Kane skied the penalty and we can enjoy the rest of the World Cup without the fear of them winning it.

Ian Wright etc, get it fucking up ya.

The co-commentator is deluded. After Kane's penalty miss we got a still of Mbappe grinning amidst celebrating and he said somethingvlike that's not nice we don't want to see that sort of thing in the game. Wtf? It goes on in every game that a penalty is missed uncommented on usually until it happens to precious England and then there is uproar.

7 hours ago, Ally Bongo said:

With the exception of Wales and Qatar every team in the tournament is streets ahead of us and it is all down to youth coaching

Remember when all the World's top coaches came to Largs to "learn how it's done" ?

Clearly what they learned was how not to do it

And lack of facilities doesnt seem to have hindered Croatia

We are being led down a road to nowhere by the SFA

Bang on.

8 hours ago, Ally Bongo said:

With the exception of Wales and Qatar every team in the tournament is streets ahead of us and it is all down to youth coaching

Remember when all the World's top coaches came to Largs to "learn how it's done" ?

Clearly what they learned was how not to do it

And lack of facilities doesnt seem to have hindered Croatia

We are being led down a road to nowhere by the SFA

i agree with this.  The world cup has shown me how far behind we are.

I think it is so sad that in big finals now the only interest we have is to hope that England get pumped.  We all have a laugh about it.  But in reality Scottish Football, coaching methods implemented and endorsed by the SFA for 30 years or more.  Have failed and let us all down.  It doesn't need another think tank to tell us that.  The SFA need cleared out root and branch and new methods brought in and learn from the emerging countries and the likes of Croatia.  .  This will take years to do but better than the shite we have now.  Whilst all of these countries in the WC have progressed we have regressed steadily.  I know some 'official coaches' who are with the SFA who never kicked a ball in their life.  They started getting involved because their kids were playing and end up with coaching badges endorsed by the SFA.  Root and branch.

Putting the craziness of the finals being in Qatar to one side. This World Cup has been one of the better tournaments.  And in terms of all-round team performance, I think the four best teams are left. That doesn't always happen. If they've got any energy levels left, we're in for a couple of cracking semi-finals!

2 minutes ago, mcguffin said:

Putting the craziness of the finals being in Qatar to one side. This World Cup has been one of the better tournaments.  And in terms of all-round team performance, I think the four best teams are left. That doesn't always happen. If they've got any energy levels left, we're in for a couple of cracking semi-finals!

Definitely.  Apart from the usual hype from down south it's been more than enjoyable with some crazy results, e.g. Portugal taking Switzerland apart and then losing to Morocco.  I was convinced we were in for a Brazil v Portugal final at that point.  It'd be great to see a different name on the trophy.

51 minutes ago, SamP said:

The SFA need cleared out root and branch and new methods brought in and learn from the emerging countries and the likes of Croatia.

I agree. But it's a deeper problem than just the SFA. Let me repost what I wrote on the Croatia thread:

I just get this hunch that Eastern European countries (at least the more southerly ones with good weather) just are more into sport, all sports, from a very young age. Take a look a Hungary, pumping England home and away in the Nation's league. (And countries such as Croatia, Hungary and Serbia are good at other sports too: men and women's handball, waterpolo, basketball, fencing, canoeing...the list is a long one).

We need a total culture change in Scotland. Get all kids playing sport. Competitive sports in school as well as in clubs.  Provide them with good coaching in whatever sport they fancy and a place to play. 

Only just realised Ronaldo flounced off down the tunnel after Portugal’s defeat not shaking hands or congratulating any Moroccans, then burst out crying when he seen the cameras. Great player but he isn’t half giving ammunition to those who think he’s a welt, seen him at the bernabeu a few times where he spent most of the game fixing his hair on the big screens

Edited by dan cake

30 minutes ago, mcguffin said:

I agree. But it's a deeper problem than just the SFA. Let me repost what I wrote on the Croatia thread:

You change a countries culture.  Only the management of a sport.  I know plenty of kids who love football and play competitive games all through High School including the Scottish Shield at all senior levels from S3 to S6.  Kids now have so many alternatives but that is the same in most countries Europe, Australia, Canada, USA, Asia and Africa.  It is the running or running down of our game steadily overseen by the Sweet Fuck All that we can change.  Not a country's culture as that is always evolving.

12 minutes ago, SamP said:

You change a countries culture.  Only the management of a sport.  I know plenty of kids who love football and play competitive games all through High School including the Scottish Shield at all senior levels from S3 to S6.  Kids now have so many alternatives but that is the same in most countries Europe, Australia, Canada, USA, Asia and Africa.  It is the running or running down of our game steadily overseen by the Sweet Fuck All that we can change.  Not a country's culture as that is always evolving.

It’s still encouraged at primary school level to give everyone equal game time. Even the ones who have been playing for several years who still toepoke passes and who never look to get involved. Utter nonsense. Then you get the messages and calls from those parents asking why their kids don’t get as much game time as the others 😏

28 minutes ago, McTeeko said:

It’s still encouraged at primary school level to give everyone equal game time. Even the ones who have been playing for several years who still toepoke passes and who never look to get involved. Utter nonsense. Then you get the messages and calls from those parents asking why their kids don’t get as much game time as the others 😏

It's a bit frustrating. Especially the not looking to get involved thing - literally not running so they don't get there in time to make a tackle 😂 (It's not fair on the majority who work their socks off to hold a shape and make even more tackles). Then grief from parents for pointing it out to them. The transition to 11 a side from 9's happens when they go between Primary and High school age groups. Then the equal game time gets binned and the ones who don't fancy the physical side simply won't play. 

57 minutes ago, SamP said:

you can't change a countries culture.

You may be right SamP. In which case, we may as well give up now. 😒

Alternatively we can take a look at how countries of a similar size (or smaller, take the Faroes) conduct themselves. Croatia, Iceland, Denmark. Lots of models out there. And I suspect it really is something a bit deeper than the make up of their football associations. They've somehow, I don't know how, made sport an integral part of people's lives. They eat better, they exercise better, they govern themselves better. And from that, they get greater rewards, in multiiple sports (look at Finland and Slovakia in Ice Hockey), than you'd expect for such small countries.

Just my view of course.

52 minutes ago, McTeeko said:

Yup, that’s still happening with us every week, parents can surely see that the kid is doing nothing and still wonder why they don’t get a game. We’re U-15 now and it’s still encouraged, but we’re playing for points now, I’m having the best team I can in that pitch at any given time. 

Don’t even get me started on roll on/off subs either 😂

Oh and were also allowed to train them on headers with 3 a month being acceptable, just wait until a kid breaks their nose as they’ve no fucking idea what they’re doing with a ball in the air. 

Edited by dandydunn