Qatar 2022 World Cup Finals - Page 26 - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Qatar 2022 World Cup Finals

2 hours ago, fringo said:

From memory it was 3 non-UK players i.e. only 3foreigners but all British players could count as Scot nationals. 

You sure? I seem to remember reading Stuart McCall only getting his move to Ibrox because he never got on the pitch for England (he was on the bench) which would have seen him classed as a foreigner. I could well be talking utter bollox tho

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

7 minutes ago, dan cake said:

You sure? I seem to remember reading Stuart McCall only getting his move to Ibrox because he never got on the pitch for England (he was on the bench) which would have seen him classed as a foreigner. I could well be talking utter bollox tho

I am sure Rangers could only play three of there big English or foreign signings at that time

11 minutes ago, dan cake said:

No,u are correct

I also recall Alex Ferguson ensuring Paul Scholes played for England as he would be a foreigner if he played for Scotland,as was a  possability at the time.

24 minutes ago, dan cake said:

More likely I'm talking bollox. 😄

Yep it's me. 😄

14 hours ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Why all the crapping themselves over England?

Their most recent form against top notch opposition was the Nations League. What happened? They got thrashed in games and were relegated. And lets not start the crap that they weren't interested. They were interested in the previous Nations League where they were semi-finalists.

Mark my words the first decent attack and defence they come up against will find them out. England's defence could not keep out Iran, USA and even Senegal breached their defence. Now that same defence face the prospect of dealing with Mbappe, Giroud, Netmar, Messi, Ronaldo, Gakpo and more. Think on.

Thank fuck someone sees sense

12 hours ago, Potted Heid said:

Couldn't agree more (about Neymar).  His greetin and cheatin spoiled an otherwise great day out at the Emirates.

I think I was more shocked by this than when they got humped by Germany 7-1 in 2014, having been accustomed to Brazilians being different class at football.  He can redeem himself by scoring a hat-trick against Them in the final, of course.

Still hoping for a Brazil v France final, with the South Americans inspired to victory by Pele getting better.

Pele wont be getting better, his days are numbered sadly

Edited by Kirk
jesus loves you

16 hours ago, vanderark14 said:

Croatia record at the world cup is unreal considering the size of the country 

Astonishing isn't it. Population of 3.9 million?

I found this video about Modric's early life illuminating (and quite moving).   It's clear that football was way more than a game to him. (And probably to the rest of the Croation squad). Might explain the resilience of their team?

9 hours ago, mcguffin said:

I found this video about Modric's early life illuminating (and quite moving).   It's clear that football was way more than a game to him. (And probably to the rest of the Croation squad). Might explain the resilience of their team?

👍

10 hours ago, mcguffin said:

Yeah, that stat saying a Croatian has won the Champions League for ten years in a row is quite something (admittedly Modric is a few of them but still for a country that size it's hugely impressive).

I posted on here at the time but after they pumped us at Hampden last year Radio Scotland did a feature on what gives them such an advantage. Clearly the good climate was an obvious one, but also it appears people from that part of the world have a natural aptitude for ball sports for some reason. The training the kids get is primarily focused on technique as well, which certainly gave them the upper hand against us thinking back to some of their quick passing moves in that game.

Couple of articles to share today

1) my usual roundup and preview of the next round for the good folks at spitballingpod

https://www.spitballingpod.com/football/2022/12/7/qatar-2022-last-16-established-order-returns-pretty-much

2) editor at SportsLook - the Japan-Forward sports section asked me to predict the rest of the way through the tournament

https://featured.japan-forward.com/sportslook/notes-on-the-fifa-world-cup-so-far-and-predicting-the-rest-of-the-way/

Enjoy the words anyone who chooses click n read

Actually was working on both of these pieces simultaneously yesterday - found it incredibly difficult to go from using our way of using English on the Spitballingpod piece to changing to American English as is the format for SportsLook.

After Argentina have watched their rivals bumped out i fancy them to give the Dutch a horsing

I dont think Holland are that good. They havent really played anyone of note yet

19 minutes ago, Ally Bongo said:

After Argentina have watched their rivals bumped out i fancy them to give the Dutch a horsing

I dont think Holland are that good. They havent really played anyone of note yet

I'm going for penalties again in this one. I think Holland are similar to Croatia. A team of athletes who are technically excellent. Croatia have loads of experience but Holland have a bit of pace about them. They like to soak up the pressure and hit hem on the break. I think Argentina will be wise to that and won't risk piling forward too much. It could be one of those stalemate games with neither team willing to attack too much.

28 minutes ago, Ally Bongo said:

Nobody has really played anyone of note till now