Qatar 2022 World Cup Finals - Page 25 - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Qatar 2022 World Cup Finals

10 hours ago, mcguffin said:

Agreed.  Can't see Croatia getting passed Brazil. But I'm really hoping Croatia give them a game--hopefully with Modric firing on all cylinders.

Croatia record at the world cup is unreal considering the size of the country 

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why all the crapping themselves over England?

Their most recent form against top notch opposition was the Nations League. What happened? They got thrashed in games and were relegated. And lets not start the crap that they weren't interested. They were interested in the previous Nations League where they were semi-finalists.

Mark my words the first decent attack and defence they come up against will find them out. England's defence could not keep out Iran, USA and even Senegal breached their defence. Now that same defence face the prospect of dealing with Mbappe, Giroud, Netmar, Messi, Ronaldo, Gakpo and more. Think on.

14 hours ago, ger intae them said:

Meditate Ramy…….. vanquish the hate, flood yourself with empathy…..

but seriously, detested the wee dick since that friendly at the emirates.

Couldn't agree more (about Neymar).  His greetin and cheatin spoiled an otherwise great day out at the Emirates.

I think I was more shocked by this than when they got humped by Germany 7-1 in 2014, having been accustomed to Brazilians being different class at football.  He can redeem himself by scoring a hat-trick against Them in the final, of course.

Still hoping for a Brazil v France final, with the South Americans inspired to victory by Pele getting better.

16 hours ago, mcguffin said:

Agreed.  Can't see Croatia getting passed Brazil. But I'm really hoping Croatia give them a game--hopefully with Modric firing on all cylinders.

I'm expecting Croatia to give them a better game than South Korea did. That's mainly because I think Croatia are better at defending. This will be a really good test to see how good Brasil are up front. Juranovic is the weak link in the Croatia team though, so I think Brasil might exploit that. It will also be good to see if young Gvardiol is as good as I think he is. I think Modric will be sitting much deeper than normal and with Kovacic and Brosivic alongside him, that's a midfield to match any team, if they are on song from the start. Croatia don't have too much up front though. Whilst Perisic has shown he can still contribute in bursts he is nowhere near the player he used to be. I think Croatia's best chance is to take it to penalties again.

6 minutes ago, Orraloon said:

And, football isn't even their main sport. They have produced some tremendous players.

It puts our failures into perspective IMO. A small country like that regularly gets to the latter stages of tournaments including a world cup final but hey handful of our clubs did well in Europe once and we get four OF matches guaranteed every year 🤣

1 hour ago, Orraloon said:

And, football isn't even their main sport. They have produced some tremendous players.

I attended a game there in October and a guy was telling me all their top teams have to start with 6 Croatians In their team 

Can u imagine that rule in Scotland....

1 hour ago, stocky said:

I attended a game there in October and a guy was telling me all their top teams have to start with 6 Croatians In their team 

I am almost sure that in the early days of Champions League you could only play 3 non-scots in a Scottish side.  Almost sure that is.  I am assuming Bosman put a stop to that and EU rules but not 100% sure about that.

28 minutes ago, SamP said:

I am almost sure that in the early days of Champions League you could only play 3 non-scots in a Scottish side.  Almost sure that is.  I am assuming Bosman put a stop to that and EU rules but not 100% sure about that.

From memory it was 3 non-UK players i.e. only 3foreigners but all British players could count as Scot nationals. 

1 minute ago, fringo said:

From memory it was 3 non-UK players i.e. only 3foreigners but all British players could count as Scot nationals. 

You may be right there.  How the hell did they come up with that rule?  Don't get me wrong I would have it today and maybe the OF would have to bring on Scottish players.  Can only hope.

8 hours ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Why all the crapping themselves over England?

Their most recent form against top notch opposition was the Nations League. What happened? They got thrashed in games and were relegated. And lets not start the crap that they weren't interested. They were interested in the previous Nations League where they were semi-finalists.

Mark my words the first decent attack and defence they come up against will find them out. England's defence could not keep out Iran, USA and even Senegal breached their defence. Now that same defence face the prospect of dealing with Mbappe, Giroud, Netmar, Messi, Ronaldo, Gakpo and more. Think on.

if England win it then i will say well done and congratulate them.  The biggest achievement in football and they will have beaten some great teams to do it.  If they beat France then it will only be Morocco between them and the final.

I think England have a great chance.

9 minutes ago, Malcolm said:

if England win it then i will say well done and congratulate them.  The biggest achievement in football and they will have beaten some great teams to do it.  If they beat France then it will only be Morocco between them and the final.

Assuming Morocco get by Portugal or Switzerland.

Edited by scotlad

9 minutes ago, Malcolm said:

I think portugal and Switzerland might have something to say about that

and shock horror, billy the brit who supports rangers in europe would congratulate England if they win🤣

Edited by vanderark14

5 minutes ago, vanderark14 said:

I think portugal and Switzerland might have something to say about that

and shock horror, billy the brit who supports rangers in europe would congratulate England if they win🤣

support Celtic in Europe too!  And would also congratulate wales or Northern Ireland!

3 hours ago, stocky said:

Most of our teams would be much better with 6 Croatians in their team. 😉 😂