Qatar 2022 World Cup Finals - Page 24 - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Qatar 2022 World Cup Finals

4 hours ago, Toepoke said:

Absolutely shocking story, not the first time players' families have been targeted while they are abroad. 

IIRC that's why Johan Cruyff refused to go to Argentina 78.

Yup, the Police had credible information of a planned kidnapping 

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

6 hours ago, Ally Bongo said:

If they beat France then the only conclusion is that they will win it

Dont know if i can trust France as without Mbappe they are nowhere near as good

The leveller is that England defence with Maguire

Calm doon.

England, so far, have played Iran, USA, Wales and Senegal and (aside from Wales) every one of them have caused the England defence problems. Wait until the better sides with better attacks get at them and that defence will crumble. We saw it in the Nations League and even last night every Senegal chance came about from defensive errors.

1 hour ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Calm doon.

England, so far, have played Iran, USA, Wales and Senegal and (aside from Wales) every one of them have caused the England defence problems. Wait until the better sides with better attacks get at them and that defence will crumble. We saw it in the Nations League and even last night every Senegal chance came about from defensive errors.

Senegal caused them problems in the first 35 minutes, if they'd had their best player they would have taken one of those three chances.

Saturday will be completely different territory for England BUT they can do it. France do have in Mbappe the player likely to succeed Messi as the best player in the world but England have some great attcking players t in Foden and Bellingham. 

2-1 France with a Maguire howler to gift France the win.

One a side note, Bellingham is a serious talent, he will likely be the big transfer saga of the summer.

8 hours ago, Ally Bongo said:

If they beat France then the only conclusion is that they will win it

Dont know if i can trust France as without Mbappe they are nowhere near as good

The leveller is that England defence with Maguire

If England can get past France they will likely play Portugal or Spain in the semi, then Argentina/Brazil/Netherlands in the final.

If they come up trumps after that accumulator they will be worthy winners.

I still don't think England have the quality to win it but to be fair to them you can only beat what's in front of you and, USA aside, they've done that with relative ease and being honest look like they could go up a level or 2 if needed  France will be a totally different test to what they've faced so far and should be a good game.  I've got a bit of cash on France to win it (and Mbappe to be top scorer!) so for purely that reason I'm hoping this is as far as England go.....!

2 minutes ago, Fairbairn said:

I still don't think England have the quality to win it but to be fair to them you can only beat what's in front of you and, USA aside, they've done that with relative ease and being honest look like they could go up a level or 2 if needed  France will be a totally different test to what they've faced so far and should be a good game.  I've got a bit of cash on France to win it (and Mbappe to be top scorer!) so for purely that reason I'm hoping this is as far as England go.....!

I sincerely hope your bet is up.

2 hours ago, Toepoke said:

If England can get past France they will likely play Portugal or Spain in the semi, then Argentina/Brazil/Netherlands in the final.

If they come up trumps after that accumulator they will be worthy winners.

100% this, maybe capable of winning one game against elite opposition but not 3

4 hours ago, vanderark14 said:

One a side note, Bellingham is a serious talent, he will likely be the big transfer saga of the summer.

Yes, he's really very good isn't he. For once the hype is justified. But I have a hunch that Southgate might not start him against France?

My prediction: Walker and Stones will indeed 'keep Mbappe quiet'. But Griezmann and Rabiot will welcome the space. Giroud will score. 1-1 after extra time. Penalties. Anyone's game.

45 minutes ago, mcguffin said:

Yes, he's really very good isn't he. For once the hype is justified. But I have a hunch that Southgate might not start him against France?

My prediction: Walker and Stones will indeed 'keep Mbappe quiet'. But Griezmann and Rabiot will welcome the space. Giroud will score. 1-1 after extra time. Penalties. Anyone's game.

Not sure Stone and Walker is enough to keep Mbappe quiet but if they are silly enough to sacrifice two players to cover him they leave Maguire on Giroud. Giroud will leave him for dead

1 minute ago, vanderark14 said:

Not sure Stone and Walker is enough to keep Mbappe quiet but if they are silly enough to sacrifice two players to cover him they leave Maguire on Giroud. Giroud will leave him for dead

Good point. That part of the game (how England will defend) will be really interesting, and similarly how France for their part defend against England's dangermen. Looking forward to the game as a football spectacle to be honest (along with Netherlands vs Argentina, which should be a cracker!)

France will pump them. Mbappe is playing unreal thenow,Giroud just fucking class and the rest of the french squad isnt exactly terrible.  Going to the juniors on saturday then all day in the pub to watch the football after that. Will be a lovely day out.

4 hours ago, Fairbairn said:

If they can get past France - and they are capable, tbf - then I'll start to worry!

2 hours ago, vanderark14 said:

they may play five at the back against France with trippier and walker against mbappe.

45 minutes ago, Malcolm said:

they may play five at the back against France with trippier and walker against mbappe.

I think this is the only way they can stop that French front line. Giroud and Mbappe have scored 85 International goals between them and one of them is only 23, Mbappe will overtake Giroud as their record scorer eventually. 

Those two are the biggest threat but you still have Griezman who has 42 goals for France and Dembele, both up against Maguire should scare the shit out of england fans. Maguire is fine if you are playing against a watford striker but the front four for france are genuine class playing at the top level

2 hours ago, vanderark14 said:

I think this is the only way they can stop that French front line. Giroud and Mbappe have scored 85 International goals between them and one of them is only 23, Mbappe will overtake Giroud as their record scorer eventually. 

Those two are the biggest threat but you still have Griezman who has 42 goals for France and Dembele, both up against Maguire should scare the shit out of england fans. Maguire is fine if you are playing against a watford striker but the front four for france are genuine class playing at the top level

Didn't realise Griezman has 42 goals for France. That's excellent! Though it does look he's playing more as an attacking midfielder the last few games (so he might not get into scoring positions like he used to?). And then Dembele. That's some line up. Yes, maybe a '3 at the back' (i.e. 5 at the back) might be the way England will set up. (So I guess they'd rely on counterattacks? Which unfortunately could actually work?).

Other games: was a wee bit sorry to see Japan going out. But I'm glad we'll see a bit more of Modric in what is probably his last World Cup. (What a joy to watch that player is).

Edited by mcguffin

37 minutes ago, mcguffin said:

Didn't realise Griezman has 42 goals for France. That's excellent! Though it does look he's playing more as an attacking midfielder the last few games (so he might not get into scoring positions like he used to?). And then Dembele. That's some line up. Yes, maybe a '3 at the back' (i.e. 5 at the back) might be the way England will set up. (So I guess they'd rely on counterattacks? Which unfortunately could actually work?).

Other games: was a wee bit sorry to see Japan going out. But I'm glad we'll see a bit more of Modric in what is probably his last World Cup. (What a joy to watch that player is).

Agree on Modric, he's a great player to watch. Didn't have his best game today but he was pretty good in the group games.

South Korea are not that bad - way better than us for starters

It looks like the psychological barrier of playing Brazil affected them in the tunnel

It used to affect teams playing us at at Hampden - long gone

15 minutes ago, Big Ramy 1314 said:

Brazil up 4-0 and Neymar taking the piss with the ball and smiling. I'd break both his fuckin legs if I was on the park. Wee cunt !!

Meditate Ramy…….. vanquish the hate, flood yourself with empathy…..

but seriously, detested the wee dick since that friendly at the emirates.

1 minute ago, ger intae them said:

Meditate Ramy…….. vanquish the hate, flood yourself with empathy…..

but seriously, detested the wee dick since that friendly at the emirates.

I just hate the wee cunt. He rolls about the ground like he has been shot, then starts taking the piss out of the Koreans, who I highly respect. No need for it.... I'm away to meditate now..😉

I think England have a very good squad, either the 2nd or 3rd best in the tournament.

France are a good bit ahead of everyone, then Id say England and Spain are the next 2.

If England beat France, I will be very worried, whoever wins that game will go on and win the tournament IMO. Please God, we need France to beat them badly.

2 hours ago, Orraloon said:

Agree on Modric, he's a great player to watch. Didn't have his best game today but he was pretty good in the group games.

Agreed.  Can't see Croatia getting passed Brazil. But I'm really hoping Croatia give them a game--hopefully with Modric firing on all cylinders.

9 hours ago, kumnio said:

I think England have a very good squad, either the 2nd or 3rd best in the tournament.

France are a good bit ahead of everyone, then Id say England and Spain are the next 2.

If England beat France, I will be very worried, whoever wins that game will go on and win the tournament IMO. Please God, we need France to beat them badly.

I don't think England or Spain are ahead of Brazil.