Qatar 2022 World Cup Finals - Page 22 - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Qatar 2022 World Cup Finals

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

7 minutes ago, dan cake said:

Why not try and get the 48 teams down to a sensible number by looking at the way cricket does it, pre tournament (in the host country) for the lower ranked teams 

I think that was a considered option. This was the option:-

• Expand to 48 teams (opening 32-team playoff round)—80 matches

Well matchday 3 was exciting, and as some posters are discussing it may be the last we see of it as FIFA tamper with the format. FIFA reall are chumps.

Anyway here is my write up from the game round. Also features predictions (why did I do it) for the last 16.

https://www.spitballingpod.com/football/2022/12/2/qatar-2022-matchday-3-the-action-is-the-juice

45 minutes ago, Auchinyell Sox Change said:

see US of A are 78% possession per bbc website at half time but 2-0 down to Netherlands ; kind of backs up a gripe i had on here a few weeks back

Pulisic had a great chance to put them ahead within 10 minutes. Might have been a different game had he put it away. Once Netherlands scored, USA were chasing the game and it played to Netherlands strengths.

Nonetheless, was impressed by by USA (especially Pulisic--quality player). Could be in with a real chance of going far when they host WC 2026?

For all that though, Netherlands looking real contenders for this year's World Cup?

Netherlands have looked really comfortable so far. Frankie De Jong has hardly broken sweat yet in this tournament. If he decides to up the pace a wee bit I think Netherlands could be very hard to beat. They seem to have a very well balanced team, a good defence and players who can punish the opposition. They haven't played anybody really good yet though. 

1 hour ago, mcguffin said:

Pulisic had a great chance to put them ahead within 10 minutes. Might have been a different game had he put it away. Once Netherlands scored, USA were chasing the game and it played to Netherlands strengths.

Nonetheless, was impressed by by USA (especially Pulisic--quality player). Could be in with a real chance of going far when they host WC 2026?

For all that though, Netherlands looking real contenders for this year's World Cup?

tbh ive only been watching you tube highlights of the games - my predictions on group results were all based on a teams historical reputation ; unlike current form - i hope this comes into play later as i put england down as wc cup winners in our household prediction  - based on coming close in 86,90 then at last Euros .... France have impressed the most i think - but they did struggle recently in a 1-1 draw ; think lready qualified tho

10 hours ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Agreed.

And it opens up the clear likelihood of the final group fixture in each group being a match where a draw suits both teams and the third team helpless to watch two teams playing out a tame 0-0 draw for both teams to go through.

I've seen it suggested that the winners of the first group game are made to play in the second match to reduce the chances of that happening. 

You could still get a scenario like this though:-

Team A 1-0 Team B 

Team A 0-3 Team C

Team C can then let Team B win 2-0 and both will go through.

10 hours ago, Caledonian Craig said:

If they really must gave the 48 teams then stick with 4 team groups x 12 and have each group winner, each group runner-up and eight of the best third-placed sides going through to the knockout stages. Still not ideal but far better than 16 groups of three teams.

I like the idea of 8 groups of 4, with the 8 best group winners getting a bye to the second knockout round.

The rest of the group winners and runners up would contest the first knockout round.

Means there would be slightly less games to squeeze in, and offers an incentive for teams to be more attacking and win their groups well.

50 minutes ago, bigfingers said:

Australia look far superior to us but we overall have a higher standard of player. Weird one. 

They remind me of Jack Charlton's Irish team, physical and well organised, getting performances greater than the sum of their parts.

12 minutes ago, Toepoke said:

They remind me of Jack Charlton's Irish team, physical and well organised, getting performances greater than the sum of their parts.

I know what you're getting it but Ireland had said decent players as well, Irwin, McGrath, Houghton, Sheedy, Aldridge.

The more i think about it i fancy England to win in a hack canter tomorrow

As pish as England's defence is it is still organised enough to snuff out powder puff Senegal attacks 

34 minutes ago, SamP said:

I think football has risen above politics in this WC.  A great tribute to the love of the game worldwide.  

Or a damning indictment of modern society not giving up something for a cause? A cause they pretend to give a shit about but really don’t. The players/national associations thing about the captains armbands was laughable, totally pathetic…… take the yellow or the points deductions you pussies.

I'm going down the pub to see my mates whom I have not seen in a long time, as I have been avoiding pubs. I'm looking forward to the craic. Defo cheering on Senegal🇸🇳 as the pub will be full of English. Might aswell enjoy the football side of it and leave all the other shite aside

5 minutes ago, ger intae them said:

Or a damning indictment of modern society not giving up something for a cause? A cause they pretend to give a shit about but really don’t. The players/national associations thing about the captains armbands was laughable, totally pathetic…… take the yellow or the points deductions you pussies.

Either way is a matter for individuals.  I believe football is winning.  Hope over fear for want of a better expression.

7 minutes ago, Big Ramy 1314 said:

I'm going down the pub to see my mates whom I have not seen in a long time, as I have been avoiding pubs. I'm looking forward to the craic. Defo cheering on Senegal🇸🇳 as the pub will be full of English. Might aswell enjoy the football side of it and leave all the other shite aside

I did the same on Friday.  Back to hometown, met mates not seen for ages and spent night in local hotel.  It was refreshing.  

9 minutes ago, ger intae them said:

As Ally says I think todays a canter for England .

Living in London so far I’ve only seen one car with flags on it, but after a win for them today the frenzy will begin. ‘mon the Senegal !

Reminds me of Rimini.  At night there were motorbikes cars etc honking horns all with Italian flags on it.  I assumed Italy must have won at the football but found out that Ferrari had won the F1 that year.  I hope it is England that are honking tonight and not the horns.

38 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

I am really confident England will win tonight. I reckon it will be 2-0. Senegal just lack the attacking prowess to get at England's suspect defence. And England's attack will be able to breakdown their defence. France will win against Poland I would say.

I feel you're right about both results. However, I'm suprised how few pundits/journalists are talking about the 'P.' word for the first game.
Senegal can defend. Could very easily hold out. And then,  Pickford vs Mendy ? Could be interesting if it happens?