Qatar 2022 World Cup Finals - Page 17 - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Qatar 2022 World Cup Finals

1 hour ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Belgium are in disarray. Ageing squad, moaning players and not a great team spirit at all. Lethargic display lacking cohesion and heart. Morocco fully deserved that win.

Ageing squad or not, on paper Belgium still have an excellent team. Serious questions need to be asked of any management team failing to get a tune out of them.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 minutes ago, scotlad said:

Ageing squad or not, on paper Belgium still have an excellent team. Serious questions need to be asked of any management team failing to get a tune out of them.

It isn't just the ageing squad thats the trouble though. De Bruyne making noises feeling they are playing the wrong way and other players openly saying they feel past their best. That kind of talk is destabilising and demoralising. Try putting together a winning outfit with all that crap going on with low team morale.

1 hour ago, Caledonian Craig said:

It isn't just the ageing squad thats the trouble though. De Bruyne making noises feeling they are playing the wrong way and other players openly saying they feel past their best. That kind of talk is destabilising and demoralising. Try putting together a winning outfit with all that crap going on with low team morale.

Oh, I know. I think De Bruyne is right. They only play one way, everyone has figured them out and the manager is either unwilling or incapable of setting them up differently (and yet still retains his job!). He's a better dressed Alan Archibald.

41 minutes ago, kumnio said:

Roberto Martinez is a fraud, and he has been a fraud for a decade, genuinely no idea how he got that job, or has somehow retained it. 

If they don't get out of the group I think it might be the end of the line for him. Well, as far as Belgium is concerned anyway, as history shows he'll get a job somewhere.

I can see him at Celtic one day (his wife is Scottish, did you know that?!). He'd be perfect for them: with his affable persona and cheeky chappie grin, he'd fill the team with past-it pros from the big leagues and EPL academy players who'd wipe the floor with the SPFL also-ran diddy teams. I can see him now, standing on the touchline, arms folded, looking purposeful, Celtic 7-0 up against St Johnstone or someone, before failing spectacularly and embarrassingly when they encounter real competition in the Champions League. Not unlike big Ange, mate. 

22 minutes ago, Ally Bongo said:

Canada would beat us

I think they would too. Their energy, pace and sheer determination is impressive. Croatia's quality and composure in the final third - something we don't have - won them that game.

Canada's have given a good account of themselves though. Fair play to them.

1 hour ago, kumnio said:

Roberto Martinez is a fraud, and he has been a fraud for a decade, genuinely no idea how he got that job, or has somehow retained it. 

100% this, as was his assistant! Nowhere near winning a trophy given the players he’s had that’s ridiculous, less than the sum of their parts time and time again 

2 hours ago, dan cake said:

100% this, as was his assistant! Nowhere near winning a trophy given the players he’s had that’s ridiculous, less than the sum of their parts time and time again 

Their time was probably 2018 and they did finish 3rd in the WC that year, only losing to the eventual winners.  That's them done now though.

1 minute ago, DAVIDB46 said:

Poor game Brazil functional , but I have not bought into their over the top, pre tournament hype.

Still think they will be beaten by one of the top European sides .

Aye.  I have bet them but remain unconvinced.  Hopefully they will get better as the tournament goes on.

5 hours ago, DAVIDB46 said:

Still think they will be beaten by one of the top European sides .

IMO only France and Spain can be in that bracket from what we have witnessed so far and it's hard to believe Germany, Holland, Belgium ( strikers) or England (defence) can get to a level that will beat them - too many deficiencies

As soon as Portugal get near the semis they revert to the dark arts so it might be them

On 11/27/2022 at 7:34 AM, McTeeko said:

Hopefully both Poland AND Leo will make it through. A couple of draws in the last games will do it 👍🏼

Aye I'd agree, never know whatll happen. Most of the groups it's still possible for all if not 3 of the teams to qualify I think

On 11/27/2022 at 7:57 AM, Bobby Russell's Lovechild said:

Some great surprise teams in this world cup. Saudis, Canada, Iran playing some great stuff. 

Canada weren't a surprise to me, they have some great players, playing at good levels.  Think the next world cup they could be a very good side with more experience. Need a clinical.striker

I've managed to miss most of the games today, gutted about the 2 earlier ones. The Mrs is back to work tomorrow so should see most of the games this week, happy days.

https://inews.co.uk/sport/football/world-cup-2022-inside-qatar-only-british-pub-1995981?utm_source=pocket-newtab-global-en-GB

Over £8 for a Jagerbomb

Special Deal - 3 drinks for £22 or 6 drinks for £40

I think that's quite close to what the pub prices were in Sweden during Euro 92 - was a fiver a pint when it was only £1.30 here