Qatar 2022 World Cup Finals - Page 16 - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Qatar 2022 World Cup Finals

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

4 minutes ago, Ally Bongo said:

You have to think the Germans will be out tomorrow if Spain dont fancy a draw

It's quite a slump they have been on and changing the manager has altered nothing

I could see three teams finishing on 6 points and Japan go out on GD.

11 hours ago, McTeeko said:

Happy household after that Poland victory today - I might even get lucky with the wife tonight! 🤞🏼🇵🇱

That double Szczesny penalty save gets better every time you see it!

The wee man went away to his pals buzzing! 

40077ABF-B24A-458F-8D4F-CD67FC93FEB0.jpeg

At least someone gets to enjoy their team being there.

Im afraid I'll be wanting wee Leo to crush his dreams in the last group game though 🤣

4 hours ago, Kirk said:

At least someone gets to enjoy their team being there.

Im afraid I'll be wanting wee Leo to crush his dreams in the last group game though 🤣

Hopefully both Poland AND Leo will make it through. A couple of draws in the last games will do it 👍🏼

On 11/23/2022 at 7:46 PM, Ally Bongo said:

I know Costa Rica were pish today - maybe Spain (once again) are streets ahead of everyone

Their results were quite good in qualifying  - drew in Mexico, beat both the USA and Canada

Telt ye - kinda

19 minutes ago, Ally Bongo said:

Telt ye - kinda

Aye but they were garbage. One shot on goal in two matches? Jeez it makes us look like Brazil. A great example of anti-football. I am just wondering whether Japan's team talk was given by Gareth Southgate? They played like a team who'd sooner not lose above all else and could not raise their levels when needed.

23 hours ago, sjd1972 said:

His mother is Australian.  I read somewhere that he'd never been to Australia before he was capped by them.  Wasn't selected for the under 21's a few years back and took the huff.

That's exactly what happened. He'd been capped 5 times by Scotland at youth level, so Scotland did come calling and if he'd been a bit more patient he'd have certainly been capped at senior level by now.

21 hours ago, GHfaeGTA said:

No surprise really. It was scandalous that he wasn’t selected. Will be Interesting to see where the CHs  that were selected back then are now. No doubt Rangers or Celtic youth players (who had never been near a first team) who have since disappeared without trace.  He was playing first team football for Ross County on loan and then Fleetwood on loan. 

At the time he decided to ditch Scotland and play for Australia he was fannying around in Stoke's U23 side; he'd only played about 15 senior games, most of them at Ross County whose relegation he played a part in and where he was considered a bit of a bomb scare, IIRC. 

Clearly he's improved a great deal since then but at the time he'd no divine right to expect a call up.