Qatar 2022 World Cup Finals - Page 12 - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Qatar 2022 World Cup Finals

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

18 minutes ago, Bobby Russell's Lovechild said:

I could never imagine us playing against the likes of Belgium, like Canada are doing atm

There is definitely something afoot and i think we are really way behind most of these "World Cup minnows"

I know Costa Rica were pish today - maybe Spain (once again) are streets ahead of everyone

Their results were quite good in qualifying  - drew in Mexico, beat both the USA and Canada

I wouldnt be surprised if there were a couple of shocks tomorrow as well with South Korea and Ghana

Edited by Ally Bongo

4 hours ago, Ally Bongo said:

Looks like a changing of the (old) guard in International football

Too many of the top sides havent replaced really old stalwarts and it is showing

Famous last words but if you look at the results of Costa Rica on soccerway there is no way they should be 22/1 in the current climate against Spain

😆😬

2 hours ago, Ally Bongo said:

There is definitely something afoot and i think we are really way behind most of these "World Cup minnows"

I know Costa Rica were pish today - maybe Spain (once again) are streets ahead of everyone

Their results were quite good in qualifying  - drew in Mexico, beat both the USA and Canada

I wouldnt be surprised if there were a couple of shocks tomorrow as well with South Korea and Ghana

i feel it is less of a "shock" in the group stages ; where the minnows can still be eliminated as the big guns find their form for the business end of the tournament

4 hours ago, Bobby Russell's Lovechild said:

I could never imagine us playing against the likes of Belgium, like Canada are doing atm

It was kind of like a '90s style Scotland performance against a "big gun" from Canada, I thought. Spirited, honourable, but ultimately the gulf in class told in the end.

Belgium have a great team on paper and on the pitch, but off it they're led by a chancer. The Canadian coach obviously had them figured out and with a bit more quality in his team they would have won that game. You can bet other coaches with stronger squads than Canada will have the Belgians sussed too. Ultimately that's why I don't expect them to go as far as they could in this tournament.

As for Spain, well, I cannae wait to play them, can you?? 😬

29 minutes ago, Toepoke said:

Uruguay to steal this in the 97th minute (shudders)

😂

I like watching Uruguay. Nowadays they play very entertaining football. The manager needs to be brave enough to drop Suarez, although he wasn't their worst player. That Pellistri fella was awful. They do have some really cracking players and I hope they can progress to the later stages. 

9 minutes ago, Orraloon said:

I thought 1986 was an even bigger shudder moment. 😂

That was more OUR fault - couldn’t beat ten men in 89 mins…..

I thought his wee shudder moment was looking back to Uruguay’s injury time winner v South Korea in 1990 that effectively put us out. We were going through until that goal…..

Edited by McTeeko

47 minutes ago, SamP said:

The World Cup starts tonight.  C'mon the Sambas.

I hope the media darlings get fucked always

Sick of it

Ps - Their "fans" are complete arseholes as well

8 minutes ago, Ally Bongo said:

Sick of it

Seen Scotland Brasil twice at WC,  Their fans were brilliant.  Partied with them all night in Turin after the game.  So I don't know where you are coming from there.  As for the media, well...........  Brasil deserve their place in history of the WC so don't know why you have a lot of pent up anger towards them.

1 hour ago, Ally Bongo said:

Sick of it

I find the media wankfest that surrounds them nauseating, football belongs to the world not just the Brazilians. They’ve also been pretty shit most of my lifetime, Germany destroying them in their home tournament was pleasing to say the least. And don’t get me started on Pele and his “1000” goals

Edited by dan cake