Qatar 2022 World Cup Finals - Page 11 - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Qatar 2022 World Cup Finals

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

13 hours ago, JECK said:

You see these comments every tournaments we’re not there. Aye cause we would have strolled past USA 3-0 clearly. Both wales and USA are better than you think and both would probably edge us if the turkey performance is anything to go by.Remember when we were at the euros and a pretty average Czech team done us 2-0, it was embarrassing, still livid about that game. We were like rabbits in the headlights. And  outclassed in the most part v Croatia. We only showed up v England meaning we can’t raise our game consistently which just isn’t good enough.

Qatar and Iran were pish, Wales were slightly better when they started hoofing it up to their Lyndon Dykes. Who said anything about strolling past USA?
The facts are there are worse teams than us at the World Cup, mainly to do with having teams from all regions but it is still irritating.
Oh and Australia were terrible tonight too, another example.

Martin Keown is good isnt he ?

Lewandowski has just missed a penalty and the girl doing the commentary says that he has still never scored at a World Cup Finals tournament

Martin - "Im sure if he gets a chance he'll take it" ..................

9 minutes ago, Ally Bongo said:

Martin Keown is good isnt he ?

Lewandowski has just missed a penalty and the girl doing the commentary says that he has still never scored at a World Cup Finals tournament

Martin - "Im sure if he gets a chance he'll take it" ..................

Thats John Hartson levels of stupidity.

Nice video highlighting Christian Pulisic's contribution to USA vs Wales:

He's a good player to watch.  Always seems to have that extra bit of time on the ball (that all the great players have). Not everything came off, but some things he did were almost Modric-esque (e.g. the way he set up the goal 01:15). 

11 hours ago, runningtings said:

Qatar and Iran were pish, Wales were slightly better when they started hoofing it up to their Lyndon Dykes. Who said anything about strolling past USA?
The facts are there are worse teams than us at the World Cup, mainly to do with having teams from all regions but it is still irritating.
Oh and Australia were terrible tonight too, another example.

The World Cup contains 31 teams who qualified (and Qatar). Sure Qatar and Iran were piss poor but even if you were to take them out and bolster the tournament we would not even be two of the back-up teams. You'd opt for Italy and Ukraine or even a South American side. Pretty sure there may be other teams that would get in before us after that.

Scotland's national team has to show more professionalism, more balls and determination and consistency. That goes a long way in world football as Wales have shown. If they can do it there is no reason why, with real application why we cannot but we need to improve in a number of mental departments.

29 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

The World Cup contains 31 teams who qualified (and Qatar). Sure Qatar and Iran were piss poor but even if you were to take them out and bolster the tournament we would not even be two of the back-up teams. You'd opt for Italy and Ukraine or even a South American side. Pretty sure there may be other teams that would get in before us after that.

Scotland's national team has to show more professionalism, more balls and determination and consistency. That goes a long way in world football as Wales have shown. If they can do it there is no reason why, with real application why we cannot but we need to improve in a number of mental departments.

Having Gareth Bale helps Wales enormously too.  Take him out of their team and I'm genuinely not sure they qualify.

6 minutes ago, Fairbairn said:

Having Gareth Bale helps Wales enormously too.  Take him out of their team and I'm genuinely not sure they qualify.

It helps but it is not the whole reason. Look back to Wales sides in the past who did not qualify with Ian Rush or Mark Hughes or Ryan Giggs in the side. It is about more than one man - the side has great belief within and confidence garnered from 2016.

40 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

It helps but it is not the whole reason. Look back to Wales sides in the past who did not qualify with Ian Rush or Mark Hughes or Ryan Giggs in the side. It is about more than one man - the side has great belief within and confidence garnered from 2016.

I agree. I think a lack of confidence is actually a Scottish trait (at least in modern-day Scotland). Look at the Saudi's yesterday. Total self-confidence, right up to the 120th minute or whatever it was. I love our current squad of players, some great footballers amongst them. But they're carrying the burden of the Scottish Nation's lack of confidence on their shoulders. (Just my opinion).

Edited by mcguffin

58 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

I don't we can judge teams on single matches - if you judged us on our performance against Ukraine in the play-off alone, we wouldn't be anywhere near promotion to Nations League A.

Iran did win their qualifying group ahead of South Korea; Qatar are Asian champions, beating Saudi Arabia, South Korea and Japan along the way, and reached the semi-final of the North American Gold Cup, narrowly losing to the USA in Texas. Obviously that's quite different to qualifying out of the European or South American qualifiers, but they're not joke sides.

Italy, Ukraine, Hungary, the Czechs and Sweden would all be in for a shout for European sides who'd be ahead of us.

17 minutes ago, Clyde1998 said:

I don't we can judge teams on single matches - if you judged us on our performance against Ukraine in the play-off alone, we wouldn't be anywhere near promotion to Nations League A.

Iran did win their qualifying group ahead of South Korea; Qatar are Asian champions, beating Saudi Arabia, South Korea and Japan along the way, and reached the semi-final of the North American Gold Cup, narrowly losing to the USA in Texas. Obviously that's quite different to qualifying out of the European or South American qualifiers, but they're not joke sides.

Italy, Ukraine, Hungary, the Czechs and Sweden would all be in for a shout for European sides who'd be ahead of us.

Yes but my point was we are not there because we came up short at the key moments. The likes of Wales, for all our fans seem to hate them, rise to the occasion when the pressure is on.

1 minute ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Yes but my point was we are not there because we came up short at the key moments. The likes of Wales, for all our fans seem to hate them, rise to the occasion when the pressure is on.

Of course. Wales have clearly been a team for a while; they've had Bale to get them out of some holes, but even when they've not had him available they've got some good results.

On paper, we've had a stronger squad that them over the past decade, but they've seemingly had the fight and confidence we've not had.

1 hour ago, Clyde1998 said:

Of course. Wales have clearly been a team for a while; they've had Bale to get them out of some holes, but even when they've not had him available they've got some good results.

On paper, we've had a stronger squad that them over the past decade, but they've seemingly had the fight and confidence we've not had.

Yes I agree with that.

5 hours ago, mcguffin said:

I agree. I think a lack of confidence is actually a Scottish trait (at least in modern-day Scotland). Look at the Saudi's yesterday. Total self-confidence, right up to the 120th minute or whatever it was. I love our current squad of players, some great footballers amongst them. But they're carrying the burden of the Scottish Nation's lack of confidence on their shoulders. (Just my opinion).

^^^^this.  I am in no doubt that this is a factor.  Not the biggest factor, or even in the top 5.  But an additional factor.

Looks like a changing of the (old) guard in International football

Too many of the top sides havent replaced really old stalwarts and it is showing

Famous last words but if you look at the results of Costa Rica on soccerway there is no way they should be 22/1 in the current climate against Spain

1 minute ago, Fairbairn said:

50s looks more appropriate!

I dont half talk some shite !

Maybe it will be Canada then for the next shock - beat Japan last week in a friendly