Qatar 2022 World Cup Finals - Page 10 - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Qatar 2022 World Cup Finals

10 minutes ago, vanderark14 said:

and if the recent Ukraine matches and the IReland match is anything to go by we would beat Wales and USA

Lets look back on history of us at tournaments. Invariably when we have qualified we have under-performed or bottled it. It does not fill me with pride to say that but its true. On the other hand Wales have done the exact opposite rising to the occasion and delivering. On that big match evidence Wales would take us out. We need to change that.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

9 minutes ago, vanderark14 said:

and if the recent Ukraine matches and the IReland match is anything to go by we would beat Wales and USA

I'd say Wales, USA, Turkey and Scotland are all roughly at the same level and each could beat each other on the day. Our history of bottling it at the big tournaments would probably make USA and Wales slight favorites over us at the WC though, IMO.

24 minutes ago, McTeeko said:

I know, going by the new directives, he IS offside, but c’mon to fuck! Mind the ‘daylight’ rule and giving the advantage to the attacking team? 

44601D7B-E4A2-425A-B429-165DEEECBB58.jpeg

I agree this offside rule is total nonsense.

I'm in favour of the penalty thing though. If a defender starts manhandling the opposition inside then just award a penalty. It's the only way to stop it. If this results in a record number of penalties at this WC cup then good. Especially if it leads to a punch up between Souness and Keane. 😂

1 hour ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Lets look back on history of us at tournaments. Invariably when we have qualified we have under-performed or bottled it. It does not fill me with pride to say that but its true. On the other hand Wales have done the exact opposite rising to the occasion and delivering. On that big match evidence Wales would take us out. We need to change that.

whats happened before doesn't always mean the same will happen again. Wales have been to 3 tournaments since the 50s and they have impressed. We have been to much more tournaments and failed at the first hurdle, this doesn't mean our current team couldn't beat their current team. 

USA, Turkey, Wales, Scotland - In a competitive match I would 100% fancy us on our day, its whether we were on our day or not..

I think Argentina thought they were going to come out for the 2nd half and stroll through the Saudi defence with the goals inevitably following.  Bet their players all stay off social media tonight!  I can just imagine how their press will be mincing them as well.

Love to see Argentina win it for Messi's sake, and also cos if they do then it means the English didn't.  Seemed pretty one-dimensional to me though.

5 hours ago, Fairbairn said:

FIFA are making an absolute c**t of this.  From threatening players with bookings for wearing the One Love armband they've now apparently demanded that Belgium remove the word "Love" from the inside of their away jersey (which incidentally has absolutely nothing to do with the One Love movement and is actually linked to the Tomorrowlands festival where the Love in question is more likely to be linked to people being eccied out their tits!!).  So we've reached a stage where FIFA are effectively endorsing and enforcing homophobia and exclusivity.  Add that to the Wales fans having their rainbow bucket hats confiscated on the way in to last nights game and it's really not a good look for this World Cup at all.

And did you see the picture on Sunday at the opening game with Infantino sitting next to the crown prince of Saudi Arabia. Apparently they are a leading candidate to host 2030 WC ?!

Qatar are only Mini-Mees in comparison to Saudi in terms of human rights, equal rights etc yet they are being considered for 2030 bid after all this stuff about Qatar ?!

Incredible !

5 minutes ago, fringo said:

And did you see the picture on Sunday at the opening game with Infantino sitting next to the crown prince of Saudi Arabia. Apparently they are a leading candidate to host 2030 WC ?!

Qatar are only Mini-Mees in comparison to Saudi in terms of human rights, equal rights etc yet they are being considered for 2030 bid after all this stuff about Qatar ?!

Incredible !

Yeah I saw they were looking at a joint bid with Greece and Egypt!

1 hour ago, vanderark14 said:

whats happened before doesn't always mean the same will happen again. Wales have been to 3 tournaments since the 50s and they have impressed. We have been to much more tournaments and failed at the first hurdle, this doesn't mean our current team couldn't beat their current team. 

USA, Turkey, Wales, Scotland - In a competitive match I would 100% fancy us on our day, its whether we were on our day or not..

we have always been great on paper ; not so much on grass ....

4 hours ago, Orraloon said:

The games would be closer to 3 hours with that. We only usually get about 70 to 80 minutes playing time normally.

Closer to 50 mins going by what I read recently

I'm with Craig. I'd be happy for the clock to stop at stages where players are rolling around, teams are fucking about, cheating, and short changing the paying public

I think I recall that one of the top leagues looking to trial it not that long ago too

6 hours ago, Orraloon said:

I don't think England will do that. It's more likely to go down to who scores most against Iran. 

If England beat the USA a draw will more than likely get Wales through too. 

Two areas of the same country playing out for a draw that suits both would not look very good and might just bring about team GB. 

8 hours ago, Fairbairn said:

FIFA are making an absolute c**t of this.  From threatening players with bookings for wearing the One Love armband they've now apparently demanded that Belgium remove the word "Love" from the inside of their away jersey (which incidentally has absolutely nothing to do with the One Love movement and is actually linked to the Tomorrowlands festival where the Love in question is more likely to be linked to people being eccied out their tits!!).  So we've reached a stage where FIFA are effectively endorsing and enforcing homophobia and exclusivity.  Add that to the Wales fans having their rainbow bucket hats confiscated on the way in to last nights game and it's really not a good look for this World Cup at all.

How hard is it to follow, no political statements. See if theyre that against the country, pull out the world cup, if all the teams did it then they would have to have moved it, but they didnt so shut up and get on with it. Qatar are cunts, yes. It's their country, we have known for years and thats how they do things so either dont go or get on with it. 

7 hours ago, Orraloon said:

I'm not sure I'm a fan of all this added time after games. I think it might make the games even more pedestrian until the later stages. If they are going down this route then they should also be clamping down on the time wasting that leads to the added time in the first place. Games lasting two hours is starting to get OTT.

I like it, you can fake injury etc as much as you want but the time is getting added., or stop the clock. Adding the time will eventually clamp down on is at player will realise they canny run for an extra 15 mins anyway.

5 hours ago, McTeeko said:

I know, going by the new directives, he IS offside, but c’mon to fuck! Mind the ‘daylight’ rule and giving the advantage to the attacking team? 

44601D7B-E4A2-425A-B429-165DEEECBB58.jpeg

Agree absolute nonsense. Argentina almost gave up after the 3rd offside goal, it was as if they were scared to go forward again. Saudis well worth the second half.

5 hours ago, Orraloon said:

I'd say Wales, USA, Turkey and Scotland are all roughly at the same level and each could beat each other on the day. Our history of bottling it at the big tournaments would probably make USA and Wales slight favorites over us at the WC though, IMO.

I think this is pretty accurate, all four teams have some very good players and some mediocre and some shite.

4 hours ago, vanderark14 said:

Yes I get that.

But I am only talking about less than six months ago. We bottled it and capitulated at home to Ukraine who were beaten a few days later by Wales. On our day sure we are very good but I am still waiting for us to show this when it really matters in tournament football.

8 hours ago, Fairbairn said:

Aye FIFA are just bending over & taking it up the arse fae Qatar, which is quite ironic considering their stance on all things rainbow 🤬

2 hours ago, ceudmilefailte said:

If England beat the USA a draw will more than likely get Wales through too. 

Two areas of the same country playing out for a draw that suits both would not look very good and might just bring about team GB. 

My point was that England won't play for the draw. They will want to win every game. Maybe if it's 0-0 with 10 minutes to go (i.e. after 90 minutes 😉) they might accept the draw, but they will be looking to win the game even if they have already qualified before kick off.

57 minutes ago, Orraloon said:

My point was that England won't play for the draw. They will want to win every game. Maybe if it's 0-0 with 10 minutes to go (i.e. after 90 minutes 😉) they might accept the draw, but they will be looking to win the game even if they have already qualified before kick off.

I still have nightmares about an England - Northern Ireland qualifier in 1985 when a draw got both to the finals, stuck half my student grant on England only for both teams to settle for a 0-0 result.

Could of course have been Pat Jennings brilliance but skint students prefer conspiracy theories.