Qatar 2022 World Cup Finals - Page 6 - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Qatar 2022 World Cup Finals

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

23 hours ago, scotlad said:

I think people, particularly people in positions of power, demanding players "take a stand" is a complete cop-out. They're professional footballers, not politicians. The best way the football world could have taken a stand would have been by boycotting the entire thing but that was never going to happen.

I see Gary Lineker, never one who's slow to say the right thing, has still travelled to Qatar to fulfill his broadcasting duties. He's surely rich enough to tell the BBC where to stick it if he really felt strongly about it and if they sacked him he'd have no difficulty finding another job.

Still, it's not as bad as that airhead David Beckham accepting £400 million to be an embassador for the games. Maybe he'll donate the money to the families of those migrant workers who've died putting together Qatar's white elephant stadiums; I won't be holding my breath though.

The fact is it's not just football. The UK, particularly London, has been happily accepting Qatari money for years.

https://www-independent-co-uk.cdn.ampproject.org/v/s/www.independent.co.uk/voices/qatar-barclays-bank-controversy-recession-bankers-canary-wharf-shard-heathrow-problem-a7799261.html?amp=&amp_gsa=1&amp_js_v=a9&usqp=mq331AQKKAFQArABIIACAw%3D%3D#amp_tf=From %1%24s&aoh=16689680162711&referrer=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.google.com&ampshare=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.independent.co.uk%2Fvoices%2Fqatar-barclays-bank-controversy-recession-bankers-canary-wharf-shard-heathrow-problem-a7799261.html

On 11/19/2022 at 8:09 PM, scotlad said:

I think people, particularly people in positions of power, demanding players "take a stand" is a complete cop-out. They're professional footballers, not politicians. The best way the football world could have taken a stand would have been by boycotting the entire thing but that was never going to happen.

I see Gary Lineker, never one who's slow to say the right thing, has still travelled to Qatar to fulfill his broadcasting duties. He's surely rich enough to tell the BBC where to stick it if he really felt strongly about it and if they sacked him he'd have no difficulty finding another job.

Still, it's not as bad as that airhead David Beckham accepting £400 million to be an embassador for the games. Maybe he'll donate the money to the families of those migrant workers who've died putting together Qatar's white elephant stadiums; I won't be holding my breath though.

The issues and controversies with the World Cup being awarded to Qatar have been covered by the media for years. But I expected the objections to be parked once the football got underway (especially since England are playing). So I've been suprised how negative the media are being. Okay, they're all out there (even yer Guardian football journalists), but I'm confident they'll drop in a few negative-about-Qatar-and-FIFA comments and stories.
And the moment England are out, they'll be home and we'll never hear mention of Qatar 22 on the UK airwaves again. (Maybe BBC Wales will leave a skeleton crew out there?)

Edited by mcguffin

3 hours ago, mcguffin said:

The issues and controversies with the World Cup being awarded to Qatar have been covered by the media for years. But I expected the objections to be parked once the football got underway (especially since England are playing). So I've been suprised how negative the media are being. Okay, they're all out there (even yer Guardian football journalists), but I'm confident they'll drop in a few negative-about-Qatar-and-FIFA comments and stories.
And the moment England are out, they'll be home and we'll never hear mention of Qatar 22 on the UK airwaves again. (Maybe BBC Wales will leave a skeleton crew out there?)

Listening to the amount of negativity and hate being punted especially via the bbc you'd think they had a grudge or something, I hate that we get bloody English World Cup coverage. 

We hear the human rights issues being (rightfully) raised yet not a cheep about homosexuality being illegal in the "UK" in 1966... England should never have been allowed to hold that World Cup.. nothing to see here.. look, nasty Qatar. 

Edited by Bzzzz

12 hours ago, Toepoke said:

Martin Boyle added to the increasing list of players missing out injured. 

Players will be injured through summer world cups too, yes there will be a slightly higher number because of the timing but it's just one of those things

8 hours ago, bonzo said:

Dubious decision number 1.

It was offside by the rules, close but offside

3 hours ago, Bzzzz said:

We hear the human rights issues being (rightfully) raised yet not a cheep about homosexuality being illegal in the "UK" in 1966... England should never have been allowed to hold that World Cup.. nothing to see here.. look, nasty Qatar. 

Heard Stuart Cosgrove make that point earlier (although "jokingly") but you can't compare the world of 50 years ago with today. Homosexuality wasn't punishable by death here either.

4 hours ago, Toepoke said:

Heard Stuart Cosgrove make that point earlier (although "jokingly") but you can't compare the world of 50 years ago with today. Homosexuality wasn't punishable by death here either.

No, of course, I agree, still doesn't make it ok, but the attitude being aimed at Qatar is not constructive at all. It is possible to be respectfully critical without being hateful, sadly being hateful is "the british way". Again this is something FIFA, if it is going to be the international ambassador it claims to be, should have addressed as a part of their due diligence. 

(Some of the things the "UK" did to gay fowk was sickening)

8 hours ago, Bzzzz said:

Listening to the amount of negativity and hate being punted especially via the bbc you'd think they had a grudge or something, I hate that we get bloody English World Cup coverage. 

You've put into words some of my uneasiness about the media coverage. Yes, the media are absolutely doing their job raising the human rights issues Good on them. . But I find the relish with which they're sticking the boot in to Qatar (while accepting their hospitality, and good seats at the games) a little shocking. (I even saw a negative article, in the Guardian online or wherever, where they slagged off Qatar for not allowing alcohol in stadiums. As though that hasn't been a feature of Scottish and English football stadiums for yonks? The finger-wagging tone was genuinely bizarre.)

21 minutes ago, Bzzzz said:

No, of course, I agree, still doesn't make it ok, but the attitude being aimed at Qatar is not constructive at all. It is possible to be respectfully critical without being hateful, sadly being hateful is "the british way". Again this is something FIFA, if it is going to be the international ambassador it claims to be, should have addressed as a part of their due diligence. 

(Some of the things the "UK" did to gay fowk was sickening)

good points.

8 minutes ago, Hertsscot said:

For all the talk, they've bottled it.

Totally. Like the old saying goes, you shouldn't talk the talk if you can't walk the walk.

Given how scathing the British media have been about human rights in Qatar, surely they must also turn their fire on the English and Welsh football associations for their capitulation over this.

"Yes, yes, we know gay people are treated appallingly in this country, but come on, our captains and best players might get suspended. 😱 So you're on your own guys, sorry".

10 minutes ago, scotlad said:

Totally. Like the old saying goes, you shouldn't talk the talk if you can't walk the walk.

Given how scathing the British media have been about human rights in Qatar, surely they must also turn their fire on the English and Welsh football associations for their capitulation over this.

"Yes, yes, we know gay people are treated appallingly in this country, but come on, our captains and best players might get suspended. 😱 So you're on your own guys, sorry".

Harsh criticism of the British media, but I have to agree with you.

35 minutes ago, mcguffin said:

Harsh criticism of the British media, but I have to agree with you.

47 minutes ago, scotlad said:

And of course the likes of Shearer can't be too critical as his club are owned by people whose record on human rights is even worse!

10 minutes ago, ThistleWhistle said:

England strategy of 'winning' set pieces and falling over in the box looks to have followed on from last year.  

In fairness the one on Maguire was a stonewaller lol - unless bear hugs are allowed

Who designed the England top ? The cunts that design Scotland's ?

2 hours ago, Hertsscot said:

For all the talk, they've bottled it.

Nope 👎 fifa have said that any captain wearing the armband would be booked. You’d have to be thick to get a yellow card for walking on the pitch and presumably again in the next  game and then miss the next (without and cards actually picked up whilst playing) thats not bottling it, it’s having to put up with the rules that fifa lay down.