Qatar 2022 World Cup Finals - Page 5 - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Qatar 2022 World Cup Finals

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, bonzo said:

Aye, we bought beer from 2 old guys who were selling it from a lock up, 1€ a bottle and they even threw in a bottle opener 😂 

Wee cellar bar overlooking the harbour walls. Had coffee and amaretto in there the previous day and then spent the night drinking. Went in for a coffee on game day and the guy put an amaretto next to it 😂. Asked us to stay up at the bar and whipped the beers below the counter a couple of times when the lookout shouted from the stairs 😂

If Thplinth was still here i am almost certain he would be siding with Gianni Infantino

Switzerland-born Infantino said that European nations should apologise for acts committed in their own histories, rather than focussing on migrant workers' issues in Qatar.

Infantino opened by saying: "Today I have strong feelings. Today I feel Qatari, I feel Arab, I feel African, I feel gay, I feel disabled, I feel a migrant worker."

Infantino said: "We have been taught many lessons from Europeans and the Western world. I am European. For what we have been doing for 3,000 years around the world, we should be apologising for the next 3,000 years before giving moral lessons.

"If Europe really care about the destiny of these people, they can create legal channels - like Qatar did - where a number of these workers can come to Europe to work. Give them some future, some hope.

"I have difficulties understanding the criticism. We have to invest in helping these people, in education and to give them a better future and more hope. We should all educate ourselves, many things are not perfect but reform and change takes time.

"This one-sided moral lesson is just hypocrisy. I wonder why no-one recognises the progress made here since 2016.

Now i know fuck all about migrant workers in Qatar but if it is anything like the UAE that's quite a hill to die on Gianni.

2 hours ago, killiefaetheferry said:

Wee cellar bar overlooking the harbour walls. Had coffee and amaretto in there the previous day and then spent the night drinking. Went in for a coffee on game day and the guy put an amaretto next to it 😂. Asked us to stay up at the bar and whipped the beers below the counter a couple of times when the lookout shouted from the stairs 😂

Arrived in Genoa for first game to be told it was dry.  But we found a shop selling beer so had a good time before the game.  For the Sweden game we went bevvy handed and had a great time at the rocks on the harbour pre-game.  Still the best Scotland day/game of my life and result made it sweeter.

If they want to play the WC in Countries which have no human rights issues they should stick to awarding it to countries like USA, South Africa, Brasil and Russia. We didn't hear the western media continually highlighting human rights issues in those countries. Or, maybe I just missed it. Or, maybe those countries don't have any human rights issues?

Infantino is the cunts cunt, just an money grabbing apologist slut. 

This WC is a shambles, and it’s not even started yet. Don’t know anyone who is remotely looking forward to it. Russia was dubious, but at least they are a footballing country, Qatar should never have got it, I hope everyone who took a bung suffers a long agonising demise. 

1 hour ago, kumnio said:

This WC is a shambles, and it’s not even started yet. Don’t know anyone who is remotely looking forward to it. Russia was dubious, but at least they are a footballing country, Qatar should never have got it, I hope everyone who took a bung suffers a long agonising demise. 

True. FIFA need to be FAR better at doing their due dilligence when they're assessing and awarding these things. You can't blame FIFA for the Qatari contractors as they didn't choose them but you can blame them for not reacting to any issues (if) raised. WIll be interesting to see how they react to future tournament awards, the contracts are full of clauses for all kinds of things, maybe the humanitarian aspect needs to be added in, might make it less political and more contractual that human rights are accepted as well as basic health and safety. 

If you've watched the FIFA docu-series on Netflix you'll see that this was awarded along with Russia for a big payday swansong for some of the older delegates at FIFA, an utter disgrace,, those involved were utter criminals. Would liked to have hoped that the new guard might be doing their utmost to turn things round, not sure about the financial side but given Infantino's ramblings I'm not sure fitba's in good hands. 

Will be glad when the fitba starts, looking forward to it, after all, that's what the World Cup should be about. 

2 hours ago, kumnio said:

I think people, particularly people in positions of power, demanding players "take a stand" is a complete cop-out. They're professional footballers, not politicians. The best way the football world could have taken a stand would have been by boycotting the entire thing but that was never going to happen.

I see Gary Lineker, never one who's slow to say the right thing, has still travelled to Qatar to fulfill his broadcasting duties. He's surely rich enough to tell the BBC where to stick it if he really felt strongly about it and if they sacked him he'd have no difficulty finding another job.

Still, it's not as bad as that airhead David Beckham accepting £400 million to be an embassador for the games. Maybe he'll donate the money to the families of those migrant workers who've died putting together Qatar's white elephant stadiums; I won't be holding my breath though.

3 hours ago, Toepoke said:

Would have been almost 0% chance of me going if we'd qualified, but part of me is very relieved that fellow TA members aren't having to endure conditions like these.

Genuinely mate it's World Cup Eve and my football mad daughter is about to turn 8 so this should have the magic of Christmas on steroids running through it but I couldn't give a flying fuck.

Germany Euro 24 is a different story entirely regardless of whether we qualify. 

12 hours ago, ThistleWhistle said:

Genuinely mate it's World Cup Eve and my football mad daughter is about to turn 8 so this should have the magic of Christmas on steroids running through it but I couldn't give a flying fuck.

Germany Euro 24 is a different story entirely regardless of whether we qualify. 

Germany 24 is a MUST to qualify for.

On 11/19/2022 at 12:50 PM, SamP said:

Arrived in Genoa for first game to be told it was dry.  But we found a shop selling beer so had a good time before the game.  For the Sweden game we went bevvy handed and had a great time at the rocks on the harbour pre-game.  Still the best Scotland day/game of my life and result made it sweeter.

Agreed. Last time we won a game at a World Cup finals. For Sweden game got to Genoa early, found a Back street Chinese restaurant selling beer so spent most of the day there. Great day, better night 

7 minutes ago, GHfaeGTA said:

Agreed. Last time we won a game at a World Cup finals. For Sweden game got to Genoa early, found a Back street Chinese restaurant selling beer so spent most of the day there. Great day, better night 

We got to the bus park where the Scotland buses went.  On arrival 4/5 police were waiting at the bus door searching for alcohol.  We went and sat on the rocks at the beach.  When the next bus came in 5 minutes later they did the same with that.  I was het to get back to our bus and get the holdall with the drink.  What a day.