Qatar 2022 World Cup Finals - Page 4 - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Qatar 2022 World Cup Finals

46 minutes ago, RDFH64 said:

Typical way Qatar is treating this world cup, workers human rights non-existent, LGBT intolerance, extortionate accommodation prices. Surely FIFA insisted on certain things when they gave this shower of backward imbeciles the world cup (apart from the big brown envelopes). To announce the banning of beer sales in stadiums a few days before the tournament starts is a shocking decision, what are they going to insist on next that might offend their culture. I'm sure Budweiser will have something to say to FIFA about breaking contracts. Would love to have qualified for the world cup but kinda glad that we aren't going to that shite hole of a country.

Beer sales still permitted in the corporate spaces so presumably Allah is alright with a bevvy so long as you're wedged and it's networking - hypocritical bastards! 

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, ThistleWhistle said:

Beer sales still permitted in the corporate spaces so presumably Allah is alright with a bevvy so long as you're wedged and it's networking - hypocritical bastards! 

H

The same hypocritical corrupt bastards who gave them the games will also manage a free swallow at the games. 

21 minutes ago, Ally Bongo said:

There was an alcohol ban at Italia 90 and also at France 98 (mainly for England games)

Can't remember that. But if it was anything like the so called "ban" in Bari then that would explain it. 😂

The threat of the ban in Bari was one of the reasons I ended up drinking so much. 😂

10 minutes ago, Toepoke said:

True, but at least you could get a swally away from the stadium. 

During Italia 90 we travelled to Genoa from Menton in the South of France and had a carry out the size of a house like everyone else

However once we got to Genoa there was no alcohol on sale anywhere

Pubs were open but only selling non alcoholic beverages

I believe the ban might have been lifted for the game against Brazil in Turin

There were alcohol bans at France 98 mainly involving "British" (England) teams and i also believe there was due to be one in Bordeaux but it was lifted when the French realised Scotland fans were much different to England fans 

22 minutes ago, ThistleWhistle said:

Wonder if he proper swithered over Qatar reaching the semis then resisted to avoid it being too unrealistic!

😀

I'm not sure what half the flags on his predictor are (actually maybe Samuel doesn't know either? 🤔 ).

Edited by Toepoke

5 hours ago, phart said:

You can see how your model performs versus this one.

https://www.turing.ac.uk/blog/can-our-algorithm-predict-winner-2022-football-world-cup

Brazil then Belgium on this model. Got Brazil winning 25% of time and Belgium about 20%, Argentina just a tad behind Belgium so you essentially have the same top two predictions.

Although they've got a higher chance for each of them.

I'll need to update my prediction now the squads have been announced and to take into account the matches played since that last prediction (I believe the final matches before the World Cup are tonight); I've also got to get the penalty ability for each side.

I'm using the current ability from the Football Manager database to estimate the strength of each player in each squad and a 1:2 ratio of player ability and Elo rating to calculate the starting strength of each team.

There are four teams where their player ability and Elo ratings are over 200 points different: Germany, England, Senegal, Ghana (the player ability is greater than their Elo rating in all cases). 200 Elo points roughly is the difference between us and Germany in the current standings for context.

I'll see if my updated prediction changes things, but Brazil and Argentina are likely to still be the two favourites.

2 hours ago, Ally Bongo said:

During Italia 90 we travelled to Genoa from Menton in the South of France and had a carry out the size of a house like everyone else

However once we got to Genoa there was no alcohol on sale anywhere

Pubs were open but only selling non alcoholic beverages

I believe the ban might have been lifted for the game against Brazil in Turin

There were alcohol bans at France 98 mainly involving "British" (England) teams and i also believe there was due to be one in Bordeaux but it was lifted when the French realised Scotland fans were much different to England fans 

Without in any way intending to question your perception of events Ally, I can assure you that was not my experience in Genoa on the days of both the Costa Rica and Sweden games.

Edited by Barney Rubble

33 minutes ago, Barney Rubble said:

Without in any way intending to question your perception of events Ally, I can assure you that was not my experience in Genoa on the days of both the Costa Rica and Sweden games.

We never got in to the Costa Rica game and watched it on a TV in a bar outside the stadium where no alcohol was served - Obviously you were lucky

https://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2015/jun/15/italia-90-world-cup-special

The days were filled with impromptu football games in the square (there was a local kid who spent the whole time being Roberto Donadoni), the search for tickets, watching matches in cafes, conjuring up ways around the alcohol ban, enjoying the hospitality of the Genovese who brought out their children to have pictures alongside the colourful visitors and invited fans in for giant bowls of pasta.

https://www.thefreelibrary.com/It+wasn't+just+the+result+that+was+rubbish+in+Italy%3B+That+Costa+Rica...-a0531273348

What we hadn't realised was the blanket ban on the sale of alcohol put in place by worried police chiefs bracing themselves for the arrival of the Tartan Army included all restaurants - well, nearly all!

Edited by Ally Bongo

Something that has always grinded my gears about that cunt Archie MacPherson was that before the 1990 Sweden match in commentary he suggested that the friendly atmosphere between Scotland and Sweden fans was due in the main to there being an alcohol ban

Then he outed himself in 2014 and it all made sense

2 hours ago, vanderark14 said:

What a shambles this tournament is

I think the ‘fake fans‘ thing has totally finished any remote interest I might have had in this farce. I might catch the odd game by accident but I won’t go out of my way to watch any of it!

3 hours ago, Barney Rubble said:

there was definitely an alcohol ban in Genoa - although both days we got round it ; first one was a corner shop guy selling warm beer from his cellar ; think was a a backstreet cafe for the Sweden game - tbh i found the Swedes pretty obnoxious on way to ground - i did think there would be trouble if we had lost ; been a lot of goading

1 hour ago, slasher said:

I think the ‘fake fans‘ thing has totally finished any remote interest I might have had in this farce. I might catch the odd game by accident but I won’t go out of my way to watch any of it!

What’s the fake fan thing?