The Defence . - Page 3 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

The Defence .

ceudmilefailte

One thing I find particularly worrying is the number of goals we concede from crosses.  You'd think that this would be bread and butter to 3 centre backs but seemingly not.  Hanley, Hendry, Cooper, McKenna, none of them seem particularly good in the air.  I never understood why we got rid of big Declan - never let us down and, by far, our best header of a ball.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If we persist with three at the back I would like to see Kingsley considered as the most natural replacement if Tierney's unavailable.  Hendry is out of his depth on the left hand side. Kingsley plays in a back three, is fairly solid and would be very useful on set pieces.  What you want in the middle of a three man defence is an organiser and I'm doubtful that Hanley fits that role.  I'd be really interested in Craig Browns thoughts on where things are going wrong because he did very well with three at the back, although they were very settled in comparison to Clarke's picks (some, which in fairness, have been forced upon him by injury)

Until we get the defence sorted out we won’t qualify for anything.  Need to make it as difficult as possible to score against us.  Walter smith did this, jock stein did this.  Get defenders in all over the place.

jock stein played centre half’s in midfield and at full back.

narey  mcleish Hansen miller munro

Strachan aitken souness hartford

Archibald

would be a jock stein type line up, with the full backs playing as fullbacks not wing backs!

Even with a 4, you would have aitken sitting beside souness.  Ball winners.

we can start by playing jack as an enforcer in front of the defence with remit to not push forward and destroy all that comes his way.

1 hour ago, henry george said:

One thing I find particularly worrying is the number of goals we concede from crosses.  You'd think that this would be bread and butter to 3 centre backs but seemingly not.  Hanley, Hendry, Cooper, McKenna, none of them seem particularly good in the air.  I never understood why we got rid of big Declan - never let us down and, by far, our best header of a ball.

Declan could hardly get in a bad Aberdeen side and seems to have lost any kind of form he was in then.

Edited by robbo cop

20 minutes ago, Malcolm said:

Need to make it as difficult as possible to score against us.  Walter smith did this, jock stein did this.  Get defenders in all over the place.

No, some of those defenders aren't very good.  Shoving Hanley into midfield or employing Cooper as a full back is a recipe for disaster.

2 hours ago, henry george said:

I think another part of it is how easy crosses come in - Dasa looked like Cafu every time we played Israel. 

Overlapping full backs just seems to cause carnaige as our midfield is stretched way too thin. 

I'd have Jack in whenever he's available purely because we lack grit if we just stick with the more technically gifted alternatives.    

44 minutes ago, robbo cop said:

Declan could hardly get in a bad Aberdeen side and seems to have lost any kind of form he was in then.

Not a Dons fan so can't vouch for his club form but his international form was always pretty solid.

9 caps - only 1 defeat

In only one game did we ship more than 1 goal (and he wasn't on the pitch for the Dutch second goal)

As a one-off, he could certainly be an option to deal with the threat of Shane Duffy in the reverse fixture.

34 minutes ago, henry george said:

Not a Dons fan so can't vouch for his club form but his international form was always pretty solid.

9 caps - only 1 defeat

In only one game did we ship more than 1 goal (and he wasn't on the pitch for the Dutch second goal)

As a one-off, he could certainly be an option to deal with the threat of Shane Duffy in the reverse fixture.

Agree that he had a good record when playing for Scotland but sadly back in the pecking order for now unless he rediscovers some form but would be good to have more choices.

We ended up with the worst-case scenario last night in having a badly off-form Hanley being the only one of the 3 in his natural position and nobody else available.  I doubt very much if we'll ever see a back 3 like that again, or similar circumstances.

41 minutes ago, daviebee said:

We ended up with the worst-case scenario last night in having a badly off-form Hanley being the only one of the 3 in his natural position and nobody else available.  I doubt very much if we'll ever see a back 3 like that again, or similar circumstances.

We often complain about getting no luck, and sometimes with good reason, but we really got a massive help last night with the sending off. If ever there was a night we needed a realistic assist it was last night. I an not sure a sending off in the Ukraine game would have made much difference to the outcome,  but it was enough against Armenia. 

2 hours ago, daviebee said:

That back 3 is quite common for Clarke with Tierney out sadly. 

McTominay should never play there again. 

8 minutes ago, Malcolm said:

Where’s that lad from Bayern Munich gone?

You asked that question only one month ago, and you were told that he's only just turned 19 and is playing for Bayern's B team. He may feature in their pre-season this year.

3 hours ago, TDYER63 said:

We often complain about getting no luck, and sometimes with good reason, but we really got a massive help last night with the sending off. If ever there was a night we needed a realistic assist it was last night. I an not sure a sending off in the Ukraine game would have made much difference to the outcome,  but it was enough against Armenia. 

Not sure if an opposition player getting sent off for a head butt is luck. That was a premeditated decision by the boy,  it's not like taking a shot that's going out for a throw in, takes a weird deflection and flys into the top corner.  When we've had a player sent off I don't recall anyone saying the other team were lucky!

1 hour ago, todd said:

Not sure if an opposition player getting sent off for a head butt is luck. That was a premeditated decision by the boy,  it's not like taking a shot that's going out for a throw in, takes a weird deflection and flys into the top corner.  When we've had a player sent off I don't recall anyone saying the other team were lucky!

😂 I  was not analysing the morality of the  ‘luck’ I was just meaning we were utter horse dung before the sending off, premeditated or not, and it changed the game in our favour.  With the knowledge that John McGinn has no lasting effects, in my book this is ‘ luck ‘ every day of the week. 

3 hours ago, ProudScot said:

That back 3 is quite common for Clarke with Tierney out sadly. 

McTominay should never play there again. 

Not with Hendry playing in the left. I can’t remember him ever playing there before and he looked like a fish out of water.

The whole back 3 looked like they had never played in a 3 before. Clarke’s hands were tied in fairness as he had a shortage of central defenders but there was really no need to play with a back 3 yesterday and his failure to do anything about it when they were getting ripped to shreds by a very poor team would possibly have cost us the game if it wasn’t for the sending off. We’ll never know. 

2 hours ago, ErsatzThistle said:

Going to get some flack for this but here goes:

Is it time we moved on from Grant Hanley ?

Yep. 

He was great at the euros after years of questionable performances.

He’s back to his old self now and we should focus on better players like Souttar. 

1 minute ago, ProudScot said:

Yep. 

He was great at the euros after years of questionable performances.

He’s back to his old self now and we should focus on better players like Souttar. 

I’m not Hanley’s biggest fan but I‘m not convinced Souttar is the answer. 

I’m not even sure if Souttar will play that many games for Rangers now Goldson has signed a new contract. Will depend on Helander’s fitness and the formation van Bronckhorst goes with I suppose. I hope he does well and brings that to the Scotland set up but time will tell. 

Edited by Texas Pete

2 hours ago, ErsatzThistle said:

You asked that question only one month ago, and you were told that he's only just turned 19 and is playing for Bayern's B team. He may feature in their pre-season this year.

19 should be breaking through. Is he in the under21s?

1 minute ago, Malcolm said:

19 should be breaking through. Is he in the under21s?

And I said he may feature in their upcoming first team pre-season.

You seem desperate to write Morrison off for some bizarre reason.

He's not in the U21s not because he lacks talent but because Scot Gemmill is a terrible manager and a professional loser.