The Defence . - Page 2 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

The Defence .

ceudmilefailte

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The problem I see us with is this defence issue and Clarke is willing to let it drift. Sure we won 4-1 but that should not paper over the yawning cracks and disarray in our defence. This problem will resurface - it is just a matter of time as long as we persist with this system and personnel.

Guest Scot1
13 minutes ago, aaid said:

At this point in time Paterson’s key attributes are going forwards, defensively less so, largely through inexperience although his pace does help him recover.  Having three at the back doesn’t absolve him from defensive work but provides him with a bit more cover.  I’m not suggesting he can never play at right back at a high level, but not now. 

I think Everton will be looking to play 4 at the back and Patterson to be the main right full back. He’s got a great chance to prove himself in the coming season at a good club in a top league. I also believe that Ashley Cole is one of the coaches at Everton under Lampard, surely a great opportunity to learn from a top full back. He’s took the step to move down South into the Premiership, hopefully his self belief and his ability will prove this to have been the right move for him. 

Edited by Scot1

Changing around the personnel at the back is not helping us.  We want a settled two that work as a partnership….   Maldini/baresi,  miller/mcleish.

im not convinced that Tierney is a centre half.  He plays well at left centre half, but plays better at left back.

hanley a decent championship level stopper

cooper, not convinced he is quite good enoigh

hendry, gives lots of free kicks away, feels a bit rash

I would try souttar/McKenna in a pair, and if we insist on a three I would go these two plus tierney with McKenna in the middle.  The subs for me would be hendry, Hanley, cooper.

Mctominay should never play at centre half.

Guest Scot1
8 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

The problem I see us with is this defence issue and Clarke is willing to let it drift. Sure we won 4-1 but that should not paper over the yawning cracks and disarray in our defence. This problem will resurface - it is just a matter of time as long as we persist with this system and personnel.

It’s the midfield that’s also a problem, in my opinion we need to go to a back 4 and play 4 in midfield, make it difficult to play through us

10 minutes ago, Scot1 said:

It’s the midfield that’s also a problem, in my opinion we need to go to a back 4 and play 4 in midfield, make it difficult to play through us

And at the same time difficult for us to get forward. think we need some magical formation that can become a 4-3-3 from a 4-5-1 and vice versa instantly.

Guest Scot1
3 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

I'd say we need a ball winner in there - Ryan Jack sort of fits that bill. 

I’d like to see Tierney tried in this role, Allan Campbell or even Lewis Ferguson could be tried. 

26 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Surely no matter how stubborn Clarke is he will have noticed just how badly we defended today.

Guest Scot1
2 minutes ago, ceudmilefailte said:

And at the same time difficult for us to get forward. think we need some magical formation that can become a 4-3-3 from a 4-5-1 and vice versa instantly.

No, one of the problems with Scotland , in general, is we try to go from back to front too quickly. We need to hold onto the ball in midfield more and move the opposition around until we create the spaces to then move forward. With the players we have, especially Gilmour, we can do this. 

Guest Scot1
1 minute ago, ceudmilefailte said:

Sooner see Tierney tried there than a stop gap 30 year old.

I think Tierney could potentially be a very good defensive midfielder. He’s got the work rate and pace to get around the park, he reads the game very well, his passing is good/very good. He’s strong in the tackle. I think given time to adapt, he’d do the job. 

2 minutes ago, Scot1 said:

No, one of the problems with Scotland , in general, is we try to go from back to front too quickly. We need to hold onto the ball in midfield more and move the opposition around until we create the spaces to then move forward. With the players we have, especially Gilmour, we can do this. 

The teams pass success rate today was well over 90% and we have the highest rating in our group so far in that department so you could be right. Having played Armenia twice might have some thing to do with this mind you.

Back to the the 5 that becomes a 3, admit it you would pay to see Tierney on the left of that midfield 5.

First half defensively was toe curling today. 

The 3 at the back has to go. McTominay has to stop being played in defence & surely to fuckedy fuck even stubborn Steve Clarke can see today was going very badly wrong before one incident handed us a huge advantage. 

Thank fuck we won but we won’t win against anyone good if we shape up like that and defend so poorly again. 

Guest Scot1
7 minutes ago, ceudmilefailte said:

The teams pass success rate today was well over 90% and we have the highest rating in our group so far in that department so you could be right. Having played Armenia twice might have some thing to do with this mind you.

Back to the the 5 that becomes a 3, admit it you would pay to see Tierney on the left of that midfield 5.

Id really like to see him as a defensive midfielder. Tierney is one of those players you could play almost anywhere and he’ll give you at least a 7 out of 10 nearly every game 

Didn't Patterson play in a back 4 at Rangers quite successfully? It can work if you've got the players and have defensive midfielders. Our midfield is supposed to be our strongest area yet we've been caught short recently because we've lost possession too easily and reverted to long ball. Strengthening the midfield with a single striker - and I think Adams is doing a reasonable job - may yield results. Problem is Clarke hasn't tried it much.

Guest Scot1
4 minutes ago, aaid said:

What makes you think that?

Because their other right back, Seamus Coleman is nearly finished at the top level, the other option is John Joe Kenny, and Paterson is a better footballer than him. 

3 minutes ago, Scot1 said:

Because their other right back, Seamus Coleman is nearly finished at the top level, the other option is John Joe Kenny, and Paterson is a better footballer than him. 

Kenny left Everton for Hertha Berlin today.

Souttar, Cooper & Tierney would be my preferred Scotland back three.

Guest Scot1
18 minutes ago, ErsatzThistle said:

Kenny left Everton for Hertha Berlin today.

Souttar, Cooper & Tierney would be my preferred Scotland back three.

Cheers for that, I’d imagine Everton might be looking for cover at full back, someone who can play left and right back, they are thin in the full back positions. 

44 minutes ago, Scot1 said:

I think Tierney could potentially be a very good defensive midfielder. He’s got the work rate and pace to get around the park, he reads the game very well, his passing is good/very good. He’s strong in the tackle. I think given time to adapt, he’d do the job. 

You'd then lose most of his attacking threat. The one (and probably only) good thing about the 3 at the back is it allows him and AR to link up brilliantly.  (I agree he could fit into that role easily though.)

McTominay should never be played in defence again whatever the circumstances.  Right now there's an argument for not playing him in midfield either, but he should be kept as far away from the defence as possible.  I get that it's modern and silky having a ball player stepping into midfield from the back line, but this one plays like he's fkin colour blind and is a liability.

3 hours ago, Malcolm said:

Changing around the personnel at the back is not helping us.  We want a settled two that work as a partnership….   Maldini/baresi,  miller/mcleish.

im not convinced that Tierney is a centre half.  He plays well at left centre half, but plays better at left back.

hanley a decent championship level stopper

cooper, not convinced he is quite good enoigh

hendry, gives lots of free kicks away, feels a bit rash

I would try souttar/McKenna in a pair, and if we insist on a three I would go these two plus tierney with McKenna in the middle.  The subs for me would be hendry, Hanley, cooper.

Mctominay should never play at centre half.

Totally agree Souttar and McKenna should be a settled pairing.Until we have a settled defence the fragility will remain and any opposition will expose it

9 hours ago, Scot1 said:

Gaps in behind the wing backs and the three being so high are horrendous but totally agree the space in midfield is compounding it. Opposition shouldn't have the space just to take a touch or three then float an easy ball over the top.