1st 11 come September - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

1st 11 come September


Malcolm
 Share

Recommended Posts


Im hoping that we ditch 3-5-2 and go for a back four.  This means playing Robertson or tierney in midfield

 

                               Gordon

patterson.       Souttar.   McKenna.      Tierney

            Mctominay jack   mcregor.     Robertson  

                               Mcginn

                               Adams

play Mctominay in field allowing Patterson to get down the line.  Jack sits in from of the defence.  Stodgy, difficult to beat and physical.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

              Gordon

Patterson Souttar McKenna Robbo

               Tierney

McTominay Gilmour McGregor    
           McGinn

                      Stewart

Looking at the squad we have good depth. So

Patterson / Ralston / (Ramsay?)

Souttar / Hanley / Hendry

McKenna / Cooper

Robertson / Hickey / Taylor

Tierney / Jack / Campbell

McTominay / Ferguson / Campbell

Gilmour / Jack / McGregor

McGregor / Turnbull / (Lowry?)

McGinn / Adams/ Brown/ Christie / Armstrong 

Stewart / Dykes

in the next season or two we can also expect Calvin Ramsay and hopefully Lowry to start pushing for a place in the squad. 

 

          

Edited by Scot1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 minutes ago, Scot1 said:

              Gordon

Patterson Souttar McKenna Robbo

               Tierney

McTominay Gilmour McGregor    
           McGinn

                      Stewart

Looking at the squad we have good depth. So

Patterson / Ralston / (Ramsay?)

Souttar / Hanley / Hendry

McKenna / Cooper

Robertson / Hickey / Taylor

Tierney / Jack / Campbell

McTominay / Ferguson / Campbell

Gilmour / Jack / McGregor

McGregor / Turnbull / (Lowry?)

McGinn / Adams/ Brown/ Christie / Armstrong 

Stewart / Dykes

in the next season or two we can also expect Calvin Ramsay and hopefully Lowry to start pushing for a place in the squad. 

 

          

If Ramsay moves to Liverpool and doesn’t get a loan move then we may be waiting to see him in a squad for a year or two longer, which is a shame.

Really like the look of Lowry, looks like he has something different from other players in his position and that’s without playing a significant amount of games.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Malcolm said:


Im hoping that we ditch 3-5-2 and go for a back four.  This means playing Robertson or tierney in midfield

 

                               Gordon

patterson.       Souttar.   McKenna.      Tierney

            Mctominay jack   mcregor.     Robertson  

                               Mcginn

                               Adams

play Mctominay in field allowing Patterson to get down the line.  Jack sits in from of the defence.  Stodgy, difficult to beat and physical.  

Robertson left wing? No right winger? Not sure thats a great idea tbh.

I was to go 4 at the back

                       Gordon

    Patterson  souttar hanley robbo

Fraser/christie gilmor mcgregor tierney

                        Mcginn

                        Adams

Problem with that formation is fraser never turns up and tierney is often injured. We simply have very few wingers that play at a decent level for us to possibly consider playing a formation that has them.

I would consider a 433, that means a frontline of three containing the likes of fraser, brown, christie, adams, dykes and stewart. Might be worth a try v weaker teams imo.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

37 minutes ago, mccaughey85 said:

Robertson left wing? No right winger? Not sure thats a great idea tbh.

I was to go 4 at the back

                       Gordon

    Patterson  souttar hanley robbo

Fraser/christie gilmor mcgregor tierney

                        Mcginn

                        Adams

Problem with that formation is fraser never turns up and tierney is often injured. We simply have very few wingers that play at a decent level for us to possibly consider playing a formation that has them.

I would consider a 433, that means a frontline of three containing the likes of fraser, brown, christie, adams, dykes and stewart. Might be worth a try v weaker teams imo.

 


i wouldn’t play any wingers.  England won the World Cup without them.  Full backs provide the width, but you need to make sure one sits while one goes and or, your central mid sits.

in the 80s we largely played without wingers, lots of centre half’s in midfield or aggressive centre mids, eg aitken, souness partnership.

Maybe against wee teams you could play an out a and out winger.
 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Malcolm said:


i wouldn’t play any wingers.  England won the World Cup without them.  Full backs provide the width, but you need to make sure one sits while one goes and or, your central mid sits.

in the 80s we largely played without wingers, lots of centre half’s in midfield or aggressive centre mids, eg aitken, souness partnership.

Maybe against wee teams you could play an out a and out winger.
 

Very little point comparing the 60's and the eighties with today, Maybe Hibs should go back to playing 5 up front, it worked in the 50's.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Would not be surprised(hope) that a few more than that will get good moves and possibly be on the fringes soon, could see Fiorini probably best player in the u21s, Anderson and Ashby possibly playing at a decent level next year on loans. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

There’s more chance of me getting a call up than there is of Clarke reverting to a back 4. 

We also can’t rely on Jack and Tierney being fit as they are both so injury prone Clarke really needs to makes his plans with them being missing in mind.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

                     Gordon 

           Souttar hanley tierney

Patterson                            robbo

              Gilmour mcgregor

            Armstrong mcginn

                      adams

Thats my formation for the september games. Armstrong pulled us out a hole against armenia and deserves to start a few games. If tierney is injured i would put mckenna in. If patterson isnt playing then ralston starts.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

We've struggled with 3 at the back recently, with 4 at the back could be even worse 

Clarke really needs to spend the next 3 months analysing what went wrong against Ukraine & Rep Ire and try to replicate some of the good form we had in our 8 game unbeaten run 

I'd like to hope there will be a lot of learnings he can take away and implement for the next round 

I would love to know if this happens but i would assume the top brass of the SFA and Clarke with his management team would have a debrief session where they analysed and did a bit of self reflection on what went well & what didnt. What needs chaing in terms of thing we need to start doing, stop doing and ammend from player selection to training facilities to home stadium set up to travelling to the matches and everything inbetween  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

                    Gordon

 Souttar McKenna Tierney

Patterson                     Robertson

   Gilmour    McGregor  Armstrong

                  McGinn

                  Adams

 

** Hanley & Possibly Christie Need Punted IMO **

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 minutes ago, glasgow jock said:

                    Gordon

 Souttar McKenna Tierney

Patterson                     Robertson

   Gilmour    McGregor  Armstrong

                  McGinn

                  Adams

 

** Hanley & Possibly Christie Need Punted IMO **

 

I think that's the strongest team we have, if everybody is available. That's still weak in central defence so we will concede goals. We just have to make sure we score more. We could do with finding a keeper who comes for cross balls more than Gordon does, to help the defence out a bit. That's one of his big weaknesses. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, Orraloon said:

I think that's the strongest team we have, if everybody is available. That's still weak in central defence so we will concede goals. We just have to make sure we score more. We could do with finding a keeper who comes for cross balls more than Gordon does, to help the defence out a bit. That's one of his big weaknesses. 

That's actually a really good point, hadn't gave that much thought and it would be a help to his defenders

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 6/15/2022 at 6:35 PM, Texas Pete said:

There’s more chance of me getting a call up than there is of Clarke reverting to a back 4. 

We also can’t rely on Jack and Tierney being fit as they are both so injury prone Clarke really needs to makes his plans with them being missing in mind.

I agree.

Clarke showed how inflexible he is for Armenia away. He had a shortage of available central defenders (only two fit) yet to make it happen he still shoe-horned McTominay in there instead of slotting McTominay into midfield and trying four at the back.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share



×
×
  • Create New...