Potential Clarke Replacements - Page 4 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Potential Clarke Replacements

Eassy

17 hours ago, romanticscot said:

Some names

Alex Neil

Davie Moyes - 2 years too soon if the job becomes available in September.

Jurgen Klinsman

Clarke would need the Nation League to seriously implode and for home attendances to drop significantly for him to get the sack this year. We have him until the first round of Euro qualifiers at a minimum so dont get your hopes up

Not going to happen but I would love to see Alex Neil get the job, would love it even more if he took on the under 21's first for a couple of years.  Think he has a very big career ahead of him.

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

quite a bit of 'blue sky' thinking on this thread. Here's my contribution: Ralf Rangnick

If I was to be (half-)serious for a second: he's currently unemployed. The the media have turned on him after his Manchester United stint, so it's unlikely he'll get any offers from 'elite' clubs so might be willing to accept a quite a bit lower salary for a 2-year contract with Scotland?   He is considered the Godfather of 'pressing' and is on record as saying that he couldn't put this tactic into pratice with the players he had at Man Utd. Dare I suggest it that we might just have players who can press (think Gilmour, McGregor, Robertson, Patterson, Fraser, McGinn,...?)

That said, for what it's worth, I'd give Steve Clarke a while longer. I'm hoping Saturday was a blip.

1 minute ago, mcguffin said:

quite a bit of 'blue sky' thinking on this thread. Here's my contribution: Ralf Rangnick

If I was to be (half-)serious for a second: he's currently unemployed. The the media have turned on him after his Manchester United stint, so it's unlikely he'll get any offers from 'elite' clubs so might be willing to accept a quite a bit lower salary for a 2-year contract with Scotland?   He is considered the Godfather of 'pressing' and is on record as saying that he couldn't put this tactic into pratice with the players he had at Man Utd. Dare I suggest it that we might just have players who can press (think Gilmour, McGregor, Robertson, Patterson, Fraser, McGinn,...?)

That said, for what it's worth, I'd give Steve Clarke a while longer. I'm hoping Saturday was a blip.

Rangnick is the Austria manager.

32 minutes ago, mcguffin said:

oh 🙁

Good suggestion though, looking at their results since he took over, they’ve had a bounce.

30 minutes ago, mcguffin said:

I thought Ukraine were better than us to be honest so didn't consider it a managerial 'blip'.

definitely a better side than us but shouldn’t be totally outclassing us, at home.

2 minutes ago, Eassy said:

Good suggestion though, looking at their results since he took over, they’ve had a bounce.

definitely a better side than us but shouldn’t be totally outclassing us, at home.

Aye, Rangnick would have been good choice.  I think he'll do well with Austria, they're a better side than they showed during the WC qualifiers.

Ukraine was never going to be an easy game, even at home, but we were capable of winning.  We certainly shouldn't have been played off the park by them, as we were for about an hour.

32 minutes ago, Eassy said:

That's a fair point (especially given we were at home as you pointed out).

1 hour ago, scotlad said:

Aye, Rangnick would have been good choice.  I think he'll do well with Austria, they're a better side than they showed during the WC qualifiers.

Ukraine was never going to be an easy game, even at home, but we were capable of winning.  We certainly shouldn't have been played off the park by them, as we were for about an hour.

Still think the last half hour was more Ukraine starting to feel he pressure of what they were about to achieve rather than us improving.

• 10 months later...
On 6/12/2022 at 4:27 PM, Malcolm said:

What rubbish.  Souness is a winner.

Who admitted he gave up management as he realised he didnt have the temperament for it......

• 3 weeks later...

Souness? I think he might have been a candidate in 2007 (15+ years ago!!)

I think it interesting about David Moyes, that at one point he was considered too high flying and out of reach and then his stock slumped and he was thought yesterday's man and then he is maybe high flying/out of reach again. But didn't he say he might fancy the job sometime, 'but not now' and that sounded a bit presumptious/arrogant at the time, but maybe the stars will align yet, when the timing is right for both sides.

Not there is a a vacancy, I was just responding to some of the posts on here. 

1 hour ago, exile said:

Souness? I think he might have been a candidate in 2007 (15+ years ago!!)

I think it interesting about David Moyes, that at one point he was considered too high flying and out of reach and then his stock slumped and he was thought yesterday's man and then he is maybe high flying/out of reach again. But didn't he say he might fancy the job sometime, 'but not now' and that sounded a bit presumptious/arrogant at the time, but maybe the stars will align yet, when the timing is right for both sides.

Not there is a a vacancy, I was just responding to some of the posts on here. 

Well right now Moyes would definitely be in the running but I feel his reply would still be not at this time. I kind of feel Moyes would only take it if he were out of work and even then he'd likely jump ship when a league club came calling which is a shame. Just my opinion but it is the vibe he gives off.

Consistency and stability is something we've lacked since...Craig Brown? Who knows what would have happened with Gordon Strachan if he hadn't came out with those weird comments. I think he was on the verge of the sack anyway.

I'd genuinely love it if Clarke was our manager for a decade or more. It's a very cushy job compared to club management. He basically gets to watch a lot of football and obsess over players and tactics for months on end and gets paid decent coin for it. Pretty much the dream job. Especially for someone that is a little bit older and won't want to ramp up the workload. 

2 hours ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Well right now Moyes would definitely be in the running but I feel his reply would still be not at this time. I kind of feel Moyes would only take it if he were out of work and even then he'd likely jump ship when a league club came calling which is a shame. Just my opinion but it is the vibe he gives off.

I see what you mean but I suppose in a few years' time - people's priorities change - maybe he has found his level and might be happy with the...

25 minutes ago, Tartan blood said:

...very cushy job compared to club management. He basically gets to watch a lot of football and obsess over players and tactics for months on end and gets paid decent coin for it. Pretty much the dream job. Especially for someone that is a little bit older and won't want to ramp up the workload. 

But hopefully Clarke will have taken us to a new level by then and make himself a hard act to follow.

5 minutes ago, exile said:

I see what you mean but I suppose in a few years' time - people's priorities change - maybe he has found his level and might be happy with the...

But hopefully Clarke will have taken us to a new level by then and make himself a hard act to follow.

It's been an upward trajectory since he took over. Obviously you will always get undulation, but the valleys are no where near as low as they have been the past 25years. 

The players at Clarke's disposal has gotten stronger and stronger. It seems like he has almost exclusively been able to upgrade when making a squad replacement. Other than injury, he hasn't lost an exceptional player to retirement. David Marshall, maybe, but Gordon just is a better keeper.

12 hours ago, Tartan blood said:

It's been an upward trajectory since he took over. Obviously you will always get undulation, but the valleys are no where near as low as they have been the past 25years. 

The players at Clarke's disposal has gotten stronger and stronger. It seems like he has almost exclusively been able to upgrade when making a squad replacement. Other than injury, he hasn't lost an exceptional player to retirement. David Marshall, maybe, but Gordon just is a better keeper.

The squad is without doubt stronger now but I think this is in part down to Clarkes management. Most of our previous managers have talked about a club like feel but Clarkes the 1st one to have really done it since Smith.

Clarkes been really good at not introducing a player until he is ready to stay there and not dropping a player until he is ready to stay dropped.

15 hours ago, Tartan blood said:

Consistency and stability is something we've lacked since...Craig Brown? Who knows what would have happened with Gordon Strachan if he hadn't came out with those weird comments. I think he was on the verge of the sack anyway.

I'd genuinely love it if Clarke was our manager for a decade or more. It's a very cushy job compared to club management. He basically gets to watch a lot of football and obsess over players and tactics for months on end and gets paid decent coin for it. Pretty much the dream job. Especially for someone that is a little bit older and won't want to ramp up the workload. 

It’s only a cushy number if the team keeps doing (reasonably) well. The job will be his for as long as he wants it if we qualify for the euros every 4 years and we get close to qualifying for the World Cup and maybe even get there in the next couple of attempts. 

A few bad results and failed qualifying campaigns would see him get the boot like anyone else. 

Edited by Texas Pete

1 hour ago, Texas Pete said:

It’s only a cushy number if the team keeps doing (reasonably) well. The job will be his for as long as he wants it if we qualify for the euros every 4 years and we get close to qualifying for the World Cup and maybe even get there in the next couple of attempts. 

A few bad results and failed qualifying campaigns would see him get the boot like anyone else. 

A few bad results / campaigns can take years though.

Club management is mental now where even a successful manager can lose 4 or 5 in a row and be sacked.

It was actually refreshing to see Klopp keep his job and Liverpool will benefit from it. Will prob finish 5th this year but will bounce back strong next.

5 hours ago, Diamond Scot said:

The squad is without doubt stronger now but I think this is in part down to Clarkes management. Most of our previous managers have talked about a club like feel but Clarkes the 1st one to have really done it since Smith.

Clarkes been really good at not introducing a player until he is ready to stay there and not dropping a player until he is ready to stay dropped.

Good point regarding the players that are dropped. You're right, when a player is replaced, it tends to be permanent. Barring injury crises. But even then Clarke often brings in new faces to try out.

O'Donnell clung on for a long time, but his time is up. Gallagher did well for us, but once he was dropped, that was pretty much the end. McBurnie, Fleck, Palmer, C.Paterson, Burke, Russell were all part of various Clarke squads, but they are all basically forgotten men.

The one exception I can think of is Ryan Fraser. He is a special case, where it's not really Clarke dropping him, it's his own poor decisions or injury that is costing him a place.