Potential Clarke Replacements - Page 3 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Potential Clarke Replacements

Eassy

5 hours ago, Eassy said:

A lot of talk about Clarke leaving or staying.. should he go, who would you like to see step in?

Obvious candidate for me looks like McInnes.. 

Anybody got a left field suggestion?

McInnes to Scotland and Sir Steve back to Killie. Much as I like DM, as a Killie fan that would do me. 

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Some names

Alex Neil

Davie Moyes - 2 years too soon if the job becomes available in September.

Jurgen Klinsman

Clarke would need the Nation League to seriously implode and for home attendances to drop significantly for him to get the sack this year. We have him until the first round of Euro qualifiers at a minimum so dont get your hopes up 

Robertson is no captain. Just because he's won the champions league with Liverpool. McGreagor is my captain. He's a great guy of course and can curl a tremendous ball with that left foot. Recently I've not seen any of that. He could merit being dropped. He's not vocal enough for me. 

Edited by Tartan_Tonna

9 minutes ago, RDFH64 said:

The idiot who more or less told  us to lie down & let Ukraine win. Some in the team must have listened to him.

Yeh souness is a crazy suggestion. Guys 69 and hasnt managed in 15 years and even then he wouldnt take the job. Souness is probably more crazy than the wharburton suggestion.

Gotta say this thread has made me laugh. 

If clarke was to go i am not sure who would realistically be a good option. Mcinnes or maybe strachan. A foreign coach could be chosen but is there any decent ones we could afford and its always more of a risk going foreign imo.

Personally i really want clarke to stay and think it would be madness to get rid of him, unless of course we draw or lose in armenia, then hes got to go sadly.

15 hours ago, BraveheartGordon said:

Don’t know why it’s hilarious.

He’s a good manager, was let down by recruitment when he hired the guy Frank McParland after his first window at Rangers.

consistently finished higher every season with QPR and performed above budget.

He’s got more experience and serious pedigree in football coaching than others I I’ve seen mentioned in previous posts.

Being honest i wasnt that knowledgeable about his management career other than rangers so i went on wiki to look. He did pretty well at brenford tbf but apart from that its a pretty average management career. Hes had three seasons to get qpr a play off spot and hasnt. He did get rangers promoted but thats probably one of the easiest tasks a manager could be given. He then struggled with rangers in the top flight albeit it was their first season back.

I would struggle to see why we would want to swap clarke for him. 

And the ludicrousness of such suggestions as McInnes (as he'd likely be in the running) and Alex Neil is they are relative nobodies in the international scene. Clarke comes with recommendations from the likes of international greats such as Ruud Gullitt and has worked with Jose Mourinho, Kenny Dalglish, Roy Hodgson and Gianfranco Zola to name but a few.

Someone mentioned Bielsa, that would definitely be entertaining.

I read about disgruntled fans of whatever team he was managing at the time going to where he lived to have a go at him. He came to the door armed with a hand grenade.

He would need a translator anyway, so  he could have a younger coach, maybe Scottish alongside him.

46 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

And the ludicrousness of such suggestions as McInnes (as he'd likely be in the running) and Alex Neil is they are relative nobodies in the international scene. Clarke comes with recommendations from the likes of international greats such as Ruud Gullitt and has worked with Jose Mourinho, Kenny Dalglish, Roy Hodgson and Gianfranco Zola to name but a few.

Only mentioning him as I know for a fact he’d be the instant favourite for the job, I’m not shouting for Clarke to be sacked yet either especially if it’s for Ross, McInnes, Neil etc.. 

just thought I’d ask the question to see what names were thrown up.

59 minutes ago, The Black Bra said:

Someone mentioned Bielsa, that would definitely be entertaining.

I read about disgruntled fans of whatever team he was managing at the time going to where he lived to have a go at him. He came to the door armed with a hand grenade.

He would need a translator anyway, so  he could have a younger coach, maybe Scottish alongside him.

Does anyone actually believe we could get bielsa? 

3 hours ago, thplinth said:

Getting into the spirit of the thread I'd go for Sam Allardyce or perhaps Harry Redknapp (he's only 75) if Big Sam is not available.

edit: is Terry Butcher working?

I'd actually be quite happy with Sam Allardyce but I doubt he'd be interested - it probably doesn't pay well enough for him.

Souness should have got the job in 2008, but, again, I suspect asked for too much money, so the SFA went for George Burley instead.

46 minutes ago, mccaughey85 said:

Does anyone actually believe we could get bielsa? 

I think it's a possibility. He went to Leeds after all, a club that had spent a decade and a half scratching its arse in the English second tier.

Whether he'd be the right man to manage Scotland though I'm not so sure.

2 minutes ago, scotlad said:

I'd actually be quite happy with Sam Allardyce but I doubt he'd be interested - it probably doesn't pay well enough for him.

Souness should have got the job in 2008, but, again, I suspect asked for too much money, so the SFA went for George Burley instead.

I have zero desire to return to the solid defensive setup and tey and steal a goal if possible approach.

As poor as the last 3 games have been, Scotland have played some of the best football ive seen them play under Clarke. During large spells against deceng teams we have looked the better side. 

Rather than chop and change the manager we should be working on firstly getting back to that, then progressing to how to dominate games but also know how to manage then during the spells in games where the other side have abit of the ball.

The only other thing that should be a priority is deciding what to do when Tierney isnt playing.

11 minutes ago, scotlad said:

I think it's a possibility. He went to Leeds after all, a club that had spent a decade and a half scratching its arse in the English second tier.

Whether he'd be the right man to manage Scotland though I'm not so sure.

I still think it would be extremely unlikely. 

17 minutes ago, Blantyre_Braveheart said:

I'd assume Leeds fan when in the championship, would've said the exact same think.

Leeds are a massive club who really belonged in the epl. They probably paid him alot more than we could offer.

Fair enough it was a surprise him going to leeds but hes still a very unrealistic target for us. Very few top class managers end up managing countries like ours.

Edited by mccaughey85

29 minutes ago, Diamond Scot said:

I have zero desire to return to the solid defensive setup and tey and steal a goal if possible approach.

As poor as the last 3 games have been, Scotland have played some of the best football ive seen them play under Clarke. During large spells against deceng teams we have looked the better side. 

Rather than chop and change the manager we should be working on firstly getting back to that, then progressing to how to dominate games but also know how to manage then during the spells in games where the other side have abit of the ball.

The only other thing that should be a priority is deciding what to do when Tierney isnt playing.

Generally speaking I think chopping and changing managers is the wrong approach, but for all that we've had some good results and performances in the recent past it's starting to look like other teams have figured us out.  We need to find a way around that.

I don't think changing managers is a decision that should be taken lightly but if we finish bottom of this Nations League group - and that is a distinct possibility - then the SFA have to sit down and have a long, hard think about Clarke's position, because at the moment something isn't working properly.

18 minutes ago, mccaughey85 said:

I still think it would be extremely unlikely. 

Aye, largely because the diddies who run our game haven't the imagination to make such a bold move.

The Scotland job, if it became available, would, for the first time in a long time, be a fairly enticing prospect.  We've a core of good players to work with, some promising youth coming through, and reaching the Euros and a World Cup play-off will have raised our profile.