Potential Clarke Replacements - Page 2 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Potential Clarke Replacements

Eassy

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I watched a time travel sci fi series a couple of years again, a group of people were caught in a loop where the same thing was happening over and over again, the underlying problem constantly recurring  . It feels like I am in that loop.

All the ‘ possible ‘ candidates are uninspiring and the ‘ desirable’ candidates are, at best , highly unlikely to take the job. 

Tuesday’s result, and just as importantly the performance, will decide if Clarke has the ability to drive and lift this team. I hope he can as I cannot really see any realistic replacement. 

11 minutes ago, BraveheartGordon said:

Mark Warburton would be interested in my opinion, is available, has good knowledge of the Scottish game and would have us playing possession based football in a 4-3-3 as well as having worked with Lyndon Dykes before.

Jesus titty fucking chirst

Mark Warburton. That's a horrendous suggestion

This whole thread is fucking mental 🤣🤣

4 minutes ago, slasher said:

Some of these posts are absolutely hilarious (see above). 
Last nights debacle has revealed a high percentage of lunatics amongst our support 😂

Don’t know why it’s hilarious.

He’s a good manager, was let down by recruitment when he hired the guy Frank McParland after his first window at Rangers.

consistently finished higher every season with QPR and performed above budget.

He’s got more experience and serious pedigree in football coaching than others I I’ve seen mentioned in previous posts.

1 minute ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Fully agree. Bloody hilarious. Not sure he's as bad as Graeme Souness though?

Maclom only said souness to wind people up unless he's still on the cans.

Just now, vanderark14 said:

What club bias?

Meant in general.

People seem to think Warburton is a joke figure because he managed Rangers, nobody could have done much better under similar circumstances, some of the football Rangers played was excellent, their next appointment was a backwards step even after 10 million spent.

His football philosophy is excellent, I’ve always loved watching his teams, total football.

2 minutes ago, BraveheartGordon said:

Meant in general.

People seem to think Warburton is a joke figure because he managed Rangers, nobody could have done much better under similar circumstances, some of the football Rangers played was excellent, their next appointment was a backwards step even after 10 million spent.

His football philosophy is excellent, I’ve always loved watching his teams, total football.

Who he managed means absolutely fuck all to me. Maybe people genuinely think its a stupid suggestion. 

2 minutes ago, vanderark14 said:

Who he managed means absolutely fuck all to me. Maybe people genuinely think its a stupid suggestion. 

His job at QPR and walks all over Steve Clarke’s record in the championship with Reading btw, it’s a hard league to manage in.

Hardly as stupid a suggestion as is being made out.

Which was my point.

If Clarke does go I hope out of hope it’s not a Scottish merry go round manager whoever it is, I hope to god we hire someone different and with a positive, possession based style of play.

57 minutes ago, Bobby Russell's Lovechild said:

I get that, but they've had really good managers, one after the other since, and including, Speed. They have all had a hand in the success of them reaching three major finals In a very short period. 

I wasn't disagreeing with you, quite the opposite. I was just making a broader point about international management.

Coleman had a so-so record in club management and Giggs and Page I don't think have any real track record in club management at all, but they're clearly good coaches and had players at their disposal who wanted to play for them.

4 minutes ago, scotlad said:

I wasn't disagreeing with you, quite the opposite. I was just making a broader point about international management.

Coleman had a so-so record in club management and Giggs and Page I don't think have any real track record in club management at all, but they're clearly good coaches and had players at their disposal who wanted to play for them.

I was actually thinking this a moment ago. There's quite a few saying they're are no stand out candidates, yet we're basing that on fairly average club careers. There could be a couple that might be far better at international management, like the Welsh lads

Steve Clarke. 2 loses out of 3. I backed him after Armenia but the manner of the defeat again saw us go down with a whimper. We are ordinary once again. And not hard to beat. 

You could factor in its the summer and end of season. And his successful run prior to the Ukraine defeat. I just think the football on display tactically is garbage.

Edited by Tartan_Tonna

5 minutes ago, Tartan_Tonna said:

Steve Clarke. 2 loses out of 3. I backed him after Armenia but the manner of the defeat again saw us go down with a whimper. We are ordinary once again. And not hard to beat. 

You could factor in its the summer and end of season. And his successful run prior to the Ukraine defeat. I just think the football on display tactically is garbage.

If Clarke came up with the end of season excuse, that shouldn't wash with us, as Ireland (and quite a few of the Ukraine team) have also played a full season

5 minutes ago, Bobby Russell's Lovechild said:

I was actually thinking this a moment ago. There's quite a few saying they're are no stand out candidates, yet we're basing that on fairly average club careers. There could be a couple that might be far better at international management, like the Welsh lads

Club and international management is very different. With club management: you've got the ability to replace the entire squad (finances dependent), you have more time with the players throughout the year and games are usually much closer together.

Ideally for an international manager, you need someone who can get the best out of players (through motivation, tactics, etc.), can identify potential players and can generate a club atmosphere. 

2 hours ago, Caledonian Craig said:

No not rubbish at all. He has proven he puts other interests over that of Scotland ie union over Scotland and voting Tory who are a minority part in Scotland since the 1950s. I doubt Newcastle fans would call him a winner either. Any club he has been at where money was an issue he flopped. He is proven two-faced fucker as well. Heard him after England game gushing about what a player Gilmour was then post-Ukraine he has the nerve to slate him and say he shouldn't be in the side.

think souness is great.

1 minute ago, Bobby Russell's Lovechild said:

If Clarke came up with the end of season excuse, that shouldn't wash with us, as Ireland (and quite a few of the Ukraine team) have also played a full season

The end of season excuse is complete hogwash - sure fatigue and injuries can start to catch up, but players used to playing a large number of games each season tend to be a lot fitter than those who don't (shock). Sure you can play too many matches over a week long period, but I feel professional footballers could play twice a week without being too tired to play (with the correct training regime).

Robertson mentioned that they went off-piste and started firing long balls……. he said this was never done on the practice pitch & they weren’t asked to do it by Clarke during the game. Does this mean they fucked it or Clarke was weak in that he couldn’t control how we played …… even through the captain.

total loss of composure and belief.

1 hour ago, BraveheartGordon said:

Meant in general.

To be fair, you've had people point out the mentalness of your suggestion. I'd just stop it now. 😄