Potential Clarke Replacements - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Potential Clarke Replacements

Eassy

A lot of talk about Clarke leaving or staying.. should he go, who would you like to see step in?

Obvious candidate for me looks like McInnes.. 

Anybody got a left field suggestion?

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It really depends on the budget available to the SFA as to what standard of manager we could attract. Somebody mentioned Marcelo Bielsa, who wouldn't be a bad shout, if he would be interested, given his success with Leeds (injuries seemed to cost him heavily there) and significantly improving Argentina and Chile previously.

Next manager can’t have a negative outlook or inferiority complex, so think that rules out most, if not all Scottish candidates.

The likes of Souness openly talks about us not having good enough players, so he’d be down playing our chances the minute he walked through the door, McInnes would also be very negative in his approach.

I’m tired of the pish, downtrodden Scottish mentality to everything, and the air of inevitability that our next failure is just around the corner.

We simply rolled over yesterday and went down without a fight against a poor Ireland team, it really isn’t good enough.

We are crying out for a manager who can set the team up in a non-submissive manner and inject some positivity, belief and enthusiasm into the players.

A Jurgen Klopp type mentality is required.

Slaven Bilic would do a good job in my opinion.

7 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

That Tory unionist fucker. No thanks. Send him to Ukraine to fight since he proclaims to admire their plight so much.

Nothing wrong with being a Tory unionist.  Can still want scotland to win 👍

6 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Desire obviously does not burn so bright though when you have an undying love of the Butcher's Apron first and foremost.

He is on the wind up. No fan with a true interest in the country would want Souness anywhere near the job. He wouldn’t want it anyway. He is only interested in giving his opinion on others,  he could not cope when faced with his own inevitable failure . 

4 minutes ago, Malcolm said:

What rubbish.  Souness is a winner.

No not rubbish at all. He has proven he puts other interests over that of Scotland ie union over Scotland and voting Tory who are a minority part in Scotland since the 1950s. I doubt Newcastle fans would call him a winner either. Any club he has been at where money was an issue he flopped. He is proven two-faced fucker as well. Heard him after England game gushing about what a player Gilmour was then post-Ukraine he has the nerve to slate him and say he shouldn't be in the side.

59 minutes ago, sjd1972 said:

Vladimir Petkovic, ex Switzerland manager, would be a decent shout if he was interested and if there was a vacancy.

Good shout. 👍

25 minutes ago, Bobby Russell's Lovechild said:

Going back to Wales, how have they managed to virtually get back to back success with managers from their own nation. Speed, Coleman,Giggs and now Page (who is a caretaker!)

I don't think it's necessary for an international boss to have been a hugely successful club manager but they do need to be a good tactical coach. Gareth Southgate's achievements at club level are meagre but with England he's shown he knows how to win, how to manage a game and also when to change things.

Some good suggestions so far. I'd thought of Erik Hamren, former Sweden and Iceland boss who's currently available.

Rafa Benitez, perhaps, if he fancied a stab at international management, but he's probably outside the SFA's price bracket.

The only Scot I'd consider is Davie Moyes but he's not leaving West Ham any time soon. Realistically then, it'd likely be Derek McInnes, Malky Mackay or Jack Ross, in which case we'd be better off sticking with Clarke and just hoping this is bad patch! 😄

43 minutes ago, scotlad said:

Good shout. 👍

I don't think it's necessary for an international boss to have been a hugely successful club manager but they do need to be a good tactical coach. Gareth Southgate's achievements at club level are meagre but with England he's shown he knows how to win, how to manage a game and also when to change things.

I get that, but they've had really good managers, one after the other since, and including, Speed. They have all had a hand in the success of them reaching three major finals In a very short period.