Why can’t we defend crosses? - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Why can’t we defend crosses?

Malcolm

I was thinking the same on Wednesday. When Austin Macfee came in our set pieces improved so well done A Mac. But surely defending set pieces should be part of his remit. Unfortunately for us our defenders are better known for how they bring the ball out of defence than actually defending. All our game plan seems to be about when we have the ball so when we come up against teams who are good at closing down we are stumped. All three of Ireland's goals were down to poor defending two individual  and one as a team. It is obvious that there is something missing in the squad whatever it is it needs to be forgotten for now. The next couple of days is where the coaching staff must earn there corn. If any of the team are either physically or mentally fatigued they need dropped. We need 11 fit hungry players who are willing to burst a gut for 90 minutes. It doesn't matter what team or what division they play in. They are all full time professionals so should be fit and skilled enough to take on Armenia. A win on Tuesday and then come September they can come back fully fit and recharged and show the Irish that yesterday's result was a fluke.

It's not just being rubbish at defending corners. We have no plan when we take a corner,everyone is just pumped into the box and hope someone gets on the end of it. Armenia at home was the first time in years we actually played  a few short corners and tried something different. It made there defence work harder rather than making it easy for them to defend as we only have 1 thing we try. The same with free kicks and don't get me started on throw-ins. I could also start on how we set up for long or short goal kicks we are abysmal at keeping the ball or moving in to space. There I go, I have started now that's me on one for the rest of the day.....

The corners on Saturday were ridiculous, I mean we all know about Duffy in the air, so what did we do?

We played it to him almost every time, apart from the ones that were completely overhit and went out for goal kicks or throw ins. Terrible.

I noticed again we had a lot of variety in set plays and corners against Armenia.  I still struggle to understand how we can't do this against all teams we play. It makes it so much harder to defend against and very pleasing to the eye when the play looks good.

4 minutes ago, stitch said:

I noticed again we had a lot of variety in set plays and corners against Armenia.  I still struggle to understand how we can't do this against all teams we play. It makes it so much harder to defend against and very pleasing to the eye when the play looks good.

Yep I really enjoyed that part of our game too.