Armenia Away - Page 11 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Armenia Away

ErsatzThistle

a good win especially for the players, it has been a long long season and will be going back to their clubs earlier than usual this summer, they are only human and need a break..Tierney being injured was a massive blow, we missed him a lot more than i thought we would. i also think that had the Ukraine game been played on the original date we would be heading to the world cup, all our players were on form up until then, that couldn't be said in the run up to this camp.. the ireland game was a disaster however time for the players to chill, have a break and regroup in September 

• Replies 269
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

8 hours ago, ErsatzThistle said:

Were the Armenian supporters throwing bottles at our players, their own players or both ?

Some right dirty, nasty bastards in that team of theirs.

Hard to tell, they were thrown on just after the second red when all the players had a coming together, we were having drinks thrown through the fence at us in the away end and half a seat came over at one point.

Looked like the Armenian fans in the other stand were fighting amongst themselves after the game, asked one of the locals and apparently there’s a real hatred towards the coach just now and they were trying to confront him at FT.

There was various items thrown over after the seat incident, loads of small objects at various times. The boy that got lifted for the throwing the seat didn’t go quietly. 

Outside of that 15-20 minutes, the Armenians have been excellent from what I’ve seen. 

8 hours ago, Eassy said:

Hard to tell, they were thrown on just after the second red when all the players had a coming together, we were having drinks thrown through the fence at us in the away end and half a seat came over at one point.

Looked like the Armenian fans in the other stand were fighting amongst themselves after the game, asked one of the locals and apparently there’s a real hatred towards the coach just now and they were trying to confront him at FT.

4 hours ago, kumnio said:

There was various items thrown over after the seat incident, loads of small objects at various times. The boy that got lifted for the throwing the seat didn’t go quietly. 

Outside of that 15-20 minutes, the Armenians have been excellent from what I’ve seen. 

Thanks guys.

Hope no-one was hurt by the flying seat.

Maybe someone has already made this point, but here goes.  If the rationale for playing 3 central defenders is to accommodate Tierney and Robertson and neither of them are available, then why stick with this set up? At the game I thought we were pushed a bit in the first half, but only when I watched the BBC highlights just now that I realised how lucky we were to escape with just the one goal, up to the sending off which changed the match.  

18 minutes ago, Montrose97 said:

Maybe someone has already made this point, but here goes.  If the rationale for playing 3 central defenders is to accommodate Tierney and Robertson and neither of them are available, then why stick with this set up? At the game I thought we were pushed a bit in the first half, but only when I watched the BBC highlights just now that I realised how lucky we were to escape with just the one goal, up to the sending off which changed the match.  

I guess it's to give the midfield and the strikers time playing the same role as they would with both in the team. However, defensively we're all over the place and we should really have a system that's inherently stable no matter who we've got on the pitch. If you had a 4-4-1-1, for example, you could fit both in by having Tierney at left-back and Robertson at left midfield.

2 hours ago, Clyde1998 said:

I guess it's to give the midfield and the strikers time playing the same role as they would with both in the team. However, defensively we're all over the place and we should really have a system that's inherently stable no matter who we've got on the pitch. If you had a 4-4-1-1, for example, you could fit both in by having Tierney at left-back and Robertson at left midfield.

Always prefferd the idea of Robertson at left back and Tierney at left mid, I would say the latter has more range to play in different positions. 

Aye, it's a funny one, especially when you consider that Clarke is a fairly recent convert to three at the back, his teams almost always playing with a back four.

The defence was a shambles at times against Armenia and they probably ought to have scored more than just once. As for the Ireland game, well, I don't even want to think about that. 😩

Since the formation hinges on having Tierney and Robertson in the same team, if Tierney isn't available I'd switch to a back four. I also feel Billy Gilmour spent too much time fetching and carrying rather than trying to dictate the pace of the game, which he is capable of. I think we should have someone in there to protect him and enable him to focus on his creative play. 

With that in mind, I'd play a 4-3-2-1. It would give us the opportunity to dominate play in midfield and still have the two inside-forwards supporting the centre-forward. We'd be asking a lot of our full-backs in terms of providing width and defending wide areas but I think we've got the quality in those positions to do it.

21 minutes ago, scotlad said:

Aye, it's a funny one, especially when you consider that Clarke is a fairly recent convert to three at the back, his teams almost always playing with a back four.

The defence was a shambles at times against Armenia and they probably ought to have scored more than just once. As for the Ireland game, well, I don't even want to think about that. 😩

Since the formation hinges on having Tierney and Robertson in the same team, if Tierney isn't available I'd switch to a back four. I also feel Billy Gilmour spent too much time fetching and carrying rather than trying to dictate the pace of the game, which he is capable of. I think we should have someone in there to protect him and enable him to focus on his creative play. 

With that in mind, I'd play a 4-3-2-1. It would give us the opportunity to dominate play in midfield and still have the two inside-forwards supporting the centre-forward. We'd be asking a lot of our full-backs in terms of providing width and defending wide areas but I think we've got the quality in those positions to do it.

I’ve convinced myself McTominay and Tierney can be part of that three (on the right and left of centre, respectively). and can easily cover for marauding full backs. Gilmour (or McGregor) can then be allowed to pull the strings. McGinn, and fairly soon, Lowry can be the inverted inside forwards, with striking legend, TBC, up top.

6 hours ago, Montrose97 said:

Was it not also to shore up the defence after the drubbings from Belgium and Russia? Helped to get us to the Euros and WC playoffs but not at the higher level - we've been sussed and seem incapable of adjusting. Should be possible to play with 4 and use more of these talented midfielders we're supposed to have plenty of....🙄

4 hours ago, scotlad said:

Just out of interest where would Robertson / Tierney play in the formation?

Tierney isnt a centre mid so couldnt play as one of the 3. Would you be suggesting he plays as one of the 2 off the striker with McGinn as the other 1?

Ive heard people suggest tierney plays as a holding mid however his best attributes are tacking and attacking. The best holding mid rarely tackle as such, they intercept and never really attack.

5 minutes ago, er yir macaroon said:

Of course he could. 

On the left of a 3 with somebody like Gilmour right and a holding mid like Jack sitting?

Of course I could be wrong but I just cant see it. Doesnt fit in with any of his main strengths. 

1 hour ago, Diamond Scot said:

On the left of a 3 with somebody like Gilmour right and a holding mid like Jack sitting?

Of course I could be wrong but I just cant see it. Doesnt fit in with any of his main strengths. 

I’d have McTominay right and Gilmour doing what Barry Ferguson did. Tierney is trusted to step out into that position from centre half, I don’t see why he couldn’t stay there. He could cover Robertson, win some tackles and get into shooting positions. He can also ping a ball very accurately. 

11 hours ago, er yir macaroon said:

I’d have McTominay right and Gilmour doing what Barry Ferguson did. Tierney is trusted to step out into that position from centre half, I don’t see why he couldn’t stay there. He could cover Robertson, win some tackles and get into shooting positions. He can also ping a ball very accurately. 

He would need to learn the discipline needed for CM. Not saying he couldnt it indeed he might already know how to play it. One of the strange but good things about his LCB role for Scotland is that he doesnt actually need to be that discplined as he can move forward knowing there are still 2 CBs. He would need to choose his runs much more carefully as a CM.

38 minutes ago, Diamond Scot said:

He would need to learn the discipline needed for CM. Not saying he couldnt it indeed he might already know how to play it. One of the strange but good things about his LCB role for Scotland is that he doesnt actually need to be that discplined as he can move forward knowing there are still 2 CBs. He would need to choose his runs much more carefully as a CM.

He would, but it shouldn’t be a problem for a top player and it would solve quite a few problems. The Dutch wouldn’t think twice about it. Van Bronkhurst of course was a midfielder but played left back for his national team and later, Barcelona. 

42 minutes ago, er yir macaroon said:

He would, but it shouldn’t be a problem for a top player and it would solve quite a few problems. The Dutch wouldn’t think twice about it. Van Bronkhurst of course was a midfielder but played left back for his national team and later, Barcelona. 

I dont neccesarily disagree but you only have to look at the uproar on here with McTominay playing RCB to see the issues.

I do think fans underestimate the level of detail that goes into the game nowadays. I played at a decent level but was lucky enough to spend some time with a coach at a big club recently who showed me a typical training session. The level of detail and prep blew my mind. It was more like American football with a playbook. Ie if the ball goes here then player x goes here, player y goes here etc. Different scenarios for different outcomes etc.

1 hour ago, Diamond Scot said:

I dont neccesarily disagree but you only have to look at the uproar on here with McTominay playing RCB to see the issues.

I do think fans underestimate the level of detail that goes into the game nowadays. I played at a decent level but was lucky enough to spend some time with a coach at a big club recently who showed me a typical training session. The level of detail and prep blew my mind. It was more like American football with a playbook. Ie if the ball goes here then player x goes here, player y goes here etc. Different scenarios for different outcomes etc.

I think there ought to be less uproar with McTominay in midfield. Both him (X) and Tierney (Y) can get up and down the pitch all day and reliably get to their designated spot when ball goes to point A. 🧐

1 hour ago, er yir macaroon said:

I think there ought to be less uproar with McTominay in midfield. Both him (X) and Tierney (Y) can get up and down the pitch all day and reliably get to their designated spot when ball goes to point A. 🧐

That's a good point. Both Tierney and McTominay seem the type of players that a manager can trust to "...reliably get to their designated spot..."  or follow any other tactical instruction. Managers, understandably, value such players (especially when they are also very good footballers).

Anyway, what's the news on Tierney's injury? Really hoping he'll be back fit for pre-season and can quickly get back to his best.

19 hours ago, Diamond Scot said:

Just out of interest where would Robertson / Tierney play in the formation?

Tierney isnt a centre mid so couldnt play as one of the 3. Would you be suggesting he plays as one of the 2 off the striker with McGinn as the other 1?

Ive heard people suggest tierney plays as a holding mid however his best attributes are tacking and attacking. The best holding mid rarely tackle as such, they intercept and never really attack.

The formation I suggested is what I'd play in the absence of Tierney, otherwise I'd stick with the 3-4-2-1 which suits him and the rest of the team well.