Armenia Away - Page 10 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Armenia Away

ErsatzThistle

• Replies 269
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just now, Scot1 said:

If Clarke insists on setting up the team the same way, Ukraine and Ireland will fancy their chances. They will use the same game plan which has already  been successful against us. 
Honestly don’t know what to make of his thinking. 
Why bring on Brown when Armenia are sitting deep, defending their box and there’s no space to run into? We have a 6 ft 5 centre forward who would’ve caused a lot more problems?

Honestly don't think Clarke rates Stewart at all.

Lets see how he does in the Championship but don't hold your breath.

Guest Scot1
2 minutes ago, ceudmilefailte said:

Honestly don't think Clarke rates Stewart at all.

Lets see how he does in the Championship but don't hold your breath.

We were passing the ball from side to side along the face of their box because we had no one to aim for / cross too in the box. And there was very little, if any space to run into, seems obvious to me we were crying out for a “target man” in the 18 yard box. 

12 minutes ago, er yir macaroon said:

you have a notebook?

No, I've had a spreadsheet from the last few games - which I'll no doubt forget about come September.

I've found it useful for club football to have a spreadsheet that I can update faster than most stats sites, so I've started to port it over to the national team (I should really make it a database). It's quite similar to a UEFA coefficient spreadsheet I maintain, I largely do it so I can see 'live' effects of potential outcomes; merely a personal interest thing where the skills learned by improving it could be useful in other areas.

Just now, Scot1 said:

We were passing the ball from side to side along the face of their box because we had no one to aim for / cross too in the box. And there was very little, if any space to run into, seems obvious to me we were crying out for a “target man” in the 18 yard box. 

Which is why I suggested maybe Clarke doesn't rate him.

My mate Shuggie is a target man for the pub team but I'm pretty sure Clarke won't play him.

We are all impressed with Stewart's strike rate but it is in a very poor league and none of us have even seen him train with decent players let alone play against them.

As I said lets wait and see, but don't hold your breath.

Much better. Adams had his best game in ages, McGinn looked more like his old self and Armstrong was excellent (makes me wonder why he doesn't start more games).

The defence was a shambles, on the other hand, and Armenia let us off the hook a couple of times. Hopefully that's the last time we see McTominay playing there.

Armenia are a dirty team though - I won't be sad to see the back of them. How much of a fanny must that first boy who got sent off feel now? His team are level, well in the game, then he gets sent off and they go onto lose three goals!

Good 3 points tonight and the other game going our way leaves us in a surprisingly good position for September.

Thought we were desperately poor until they got the man sent off, don’t understand the 5 at the back against nations like Armenia, with defensive wide options aswell, Taylor offers very little going forward.

Hendry and Hanley were being ran ragged early on but lucky for us they were a bad tempered bunch (their fans aswell, all sorts being thrown into the away end 😂).

Thoroughly professional job though after that from us.

2 minutes ago, Eassy said:

Good 3 points tonight and the other game going our way leaves us in a surprisingly good position for September.

Thought we were desperately poor until they got the man sent off, don’t understand the 5 at the back against nations like Armenia, with defensive wide options aswell, Taylor offers very little going forward.

Hendry and Hanley were being ran ragged early on but lucky for us they were a bad tempered bunch (their fans aswell, all sorts being thrown into the away end 😂).

Thoroughly professional job though after that from us.

Hope nobody was hurt by the objects.

The central defenders were shambolic - everyone of them. Whenever they attracted we were at sixes and sevens at the back. Attack-wise we were much better until we took our foot off the gas.

I did mention Adams strength is when he is played in behind the defence and that is how his goal came about tonight. I was watching him V Ukraine - he was making runs off the ball along their backline but none of our players has the guile or balls to attempt to pass to him. He through his arms up in the air and flung his head back a few times.

15 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Hope nobody was hurt by the objects.

The central defenders were shambolic - everyone of them. Whenever they attracted we were at sixes and sevens at the back. Attack-wise we were much better until we took our foot off the gas.

Don’t think so mate, not sure if the half a seat hit anybody right enough…

Aye always think we just lack something in attack when we use 3 centre halfs, could be doing with the extra body at the other end of the park in these types of games.

Glad Adams got a well deserved goal and almost a second if it weren't for a great save from their keeper.

Adams has run himself ragged in the last few games, making good runs off the ball but has not been getting the service.

Still not getting why Clarke keeps playing McTominay in defence?

Back 3 very shaky in the beginning and felt we controlled a lot of the early exchanges but Armenia caused problems with the long ball over the top.

Should have won by a bigger margin in the end but won't get greedy.

2 minutes ago, ErsatzThistle said:

We got away with it but did anyone else think it was a bit cavalier to go into a game with so few central defenders available ? I would have called up Craig Halkett and Stephen Kingsley just to be on the safe side.

They were probably on a beach somewhere.