Armenia Away - Page 4 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Armenia Away

ErsatzThistle

14 minutes ago, The Black Bra said:

If it’s true about the withdrawals along with the players we’re already missing, not sure we could switch to a back four. Wouldn’t we need wide midfielders/wingers?

Could Patterson play tonight?

you don’t have to play wide midfielders to play a back four.  For example a diamond.  Strachan, jim bett, john Collins,  Scott brown all played in wide mid positions but didn’t play like wingers.  Strachan was more like an inside forward.

• Replies 269
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

14 hours ago, ger intae them said:

Kazakhstan beat Slovakia…….. be afraid, be very afraid.

Apparently Kazakhstan are on the verge of being promoted to League B.  Any more performances like Saturday's though and we'll be passing them on the way down! 

Seriously, Armenia must have watched that and wondered how the fuck they fared so badly against us last week.  I expect we'll see a different performance from them tonight.  After Saturday I'd take any kind of win against them.

1 hour ago, Malcolm said:

you don’t have to play wide midfielders to play a back four.  For example a diamond.  Strachan, jim bett, john Collins,  Scott brown all played in wide mid positions but didn’t play like wingers.  Strachan was more like an inside forward.

Wide players of the Davie Cooper/John Robertson variety are pretty much a thing of the past now anyway.  We've only really Ryan Fraser who fits that bill nowadays.  Considering we have a lot of central midfielders nowadays a diamond midfield could be a viable option.  We have actually played a diamond a couple of times under Clarke, usually when we've been chasing games.

36 minutes ago, marinello said:

Very good question which I honestly don't know the answer to.

He perhaps didn't want the opposition to second guess his potential team selection.  🤷‍♂️

I've ended up spending £15 purely for the Ireland game as have to take the wee lass to activities tonight - hopefully prove me wrong but at the moment absolutely not bothered missing it and the team has done nothing to increase my enthusiasm. 

Unless this is an absolute cluster-fuck though wouldn't be considering Clarke's head - 6 points would be a decent return but always felt 3-4 was more realistic following Ukraine game.    

WTF Hanley and McTominey in defence again, seriously, i cant believe how Clarke can think of even going down that route i cant believe how stubborn  Clarke is, a blind man can see that just is not working, i hope for the best but fear the worst tonight

2 minutes ago, ThistleWhistle said:

I've ended up spending £15 purely for the Ireland game as have to take the wee lass to activities tonight - hopefully prove me wrong but at the moment absolutely not bothered missing it and the team has done nothing to increase my enthusiasm. 

Unless this is an absolute cluster-fuck though wouldn't be considering Clarke's head - 6 points would be a decent return but always felt 3-4 was more realistic following Ukraine game.    

I understand what you are saying in terms of expectation levels after the poor Ukraine game but see with the group of players we have, I honestly believe that anything less than 7 points from these 3 games is a disappointment. 

If we believe we should be getting to major tournaments with this squad, we must set our sights higher than 6 points against Armenia x 2 and ROI. If we are settling for 6 points from these 3 games then we deserve not to make a tournament for a further 23 years.