Armenia Away - Page 3 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Armenia Away

ErsatzThistle

• Replies 269
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 6/12/2022 at 6:52 PM, todd said:

Apparently Mctominay lost possession 14 times yesterday!  Not sure if I lost possession that often, added up, in my entire amateur football career 😁

Not sure what's happened to him, but he was the worst player in one of the worst Man United teams ever. 

Maybe a move will do him good. 

8 hours ago, ceudmilefailte said:

Not sure what's happened to him, but he was the worst player in one of the worst Man United teams ever. 

Maybe a move will do him good. 

Or a new manager and better culture at his current club will do him good.

37 minutes ago, vanderark14 said:

Is any one else struggling to care that much about tonight?

I get the apathy as I'd take a draw right now but it is crucial we put in an improved performance and hopefully get the win. It steadies the ship a little bit and plugged the leak. I shudder to think what a loss would do.

The Scotsman is running with a story saying McGinn, McTominay, Christie, Hanley and another could be dropped due to injury/loss of form with Cpbell, Souttar, Brown and Turnbull coming in.

1 hour ago, vanderark14 said:

No. I'm  right up for it again. Win tonight, and Ireland lose, and we are right back in with a chance of second place, and maybe best League B runner up? The second part of that will be a bit harder.

If we don't win tonight then I won't have too much interest in the September games, unless it's just to see how the new manager gets on.

Tonight is a huge game fot us given what has gone on the last couple of weeks. I think most of us felt we were making real progress under Steve Clarke. A win keeps us in contention going into the games in September with the prize of a pot 2 draw for the qualifiers proper and the back up of a play off place still in our hands. A draw or a defeat and its over and then real questions over where Clarke and this team are heading would be totally justified. Id actually welcome him freshening the team up, although I am somewhat biased in favour of Campbell and Turnbull. They would certainly bring a freshness and enerfy with them, not to mention Turnbulls considerable goal threat from outside the box. We may need that tonight if Armenia set up the same as they did last week.

2 hours ago, vanderark14 said:

I definitely care about the significance of winning this group and qualifying for the next Euros which means winning tonight is very important.

Starting to get a bit miffed that Clarke doesn’t know his best team & will flog the dead horse of 3 at the back to the end though which is becoming a tad tedious. 

8 minutes ago, ProudScot said:

I definitely care about the significance of winning this group and qualifying for the next Euros which means winning tonight is very important.

Starting to get a bit miffed that Clarke doesn’t know his best team & will flog the dead horse of 3 at the back to the end though which is becoming a tad tedious. 

My beef is that he seemingly has his undroppables. They can put in stinking performances and will keep their place in the side. That encourages a club spirit but also encourages pitiful performances that do not get rewarded with the axe from the side. Clarke needs to get tough. The attitude and performance stank on Saturday and he should be fuming and ready to axe who he feels were most culpable and bring in replacements. It may shock those who have got comfy with a guaranteed starting spot into realise no place in the side is guaranteed.

1 hour ago, Orraloon said:

No. I'm  right up for it again. Win tonight, and Ireland lose, and we are right back in with a chance of second place, and maybe best League B runner up? The second part of that will be a bit harder.

If we don't win tonight then I won't have too much interest in the September games, unless it's just to see how the new manager gets on.

I get that, we also have to play Ukraine and Ireland at home, its not impossible for us to win both of those games. I believe we will see a different Scotland in September

1 minute ago, vanderark14 said:

I get that, we also have to play Ukraine and Ireland at home, its not impossible for us to win both of those games. I believe we will see a different Scotland in September

Aye, the way I see it is that any win tonight gives us a chance. Even if we just scrape a 0-1 with a dodgy penalty, having been totally out played, would do me at present.

Any win, no matter how we do it, just to give us some sort of chance come September. Armenia are no mugs though. They were awful against us at Hampden, but I watched them play Ukraine, and they gave as good as they got for the first hour. They just collapsed after Ukraine scored. Whether that was due to fitness or a mental thing I don't know. If we allow them to score first tonight then we could be in trouble.

2 minutes ago, marinello said:

Reliably informed that Robertson, Mc Kenna and Souttar left the camp injured at the weekend.

Will be interesting line up tonight, particularly at the back.

McKenna and Souttar would be a problem as they have been our 2 best centre backs this time round. With Cooper already out of the squad you are effectively left with Hanley, Hendry and McTominay. Robertson on his own wouldnt concern me as he needs a rest and Hickey or Taylor should have  sufficient quality to cope with Armenia. But to have 3 of our best defenders all out makes things more precarious imho.

9 minutes ago, marinello said:

Reliably informed that Robertson, Mc Kenna and Souttar left the camp injured at the weekend.

Will be interesting line up tonight, particularly at the back.

If that’s true then we are without Tierney, Cooper, McKenna & Souttar. If he insists on 3 at the back it could only be Hanley, Hendry and McTominay dropping back to RCB again. Unless I’m forgetting someone. 

Two Jekyll and Hyde teams playing against each other. Both capable of being absolutely abysmal and both capable of reaching the dizzy heights of being "slightly above mediocre". Could be an interesting game depending of which two teams turn up. I would think that Armenia will start with much higher confidence levels than us. We need to do something early in the game to try to change that.

I have a sneaky feeling that somebody will get sent off tonight. The result might hinge on which team that happens to.