Armenia Away - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Armenia Away

ErsatzThistle

Well, what do we do now after that bloody disaster ?

Should we stick with the same group of players who played the last three games, or should we take the risk on an experimental XI with players such as Turnbull, Campbell and Brown ?

Do we also stick with our regular formation or try something new ? I can't be the only one who thinks that other teams have now worked out the weaknesses in our system and know exactly how to take us apart. Ukraine and Ireland certainly did.

• Replies 269
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 minutes ago, Ally Bongo said:

If you offer nothing much of note in attack you are going to struggle against anyone especially away from home

I said this after the Ukraine match but without Tierney and Patterson we are basically left with mcginn and Robertson from and attacking perspective.

3 minutes ago, ErsatzThistle said:

Should we stick with the same group of players who played the last three games, or should we take the risk on an experimental XI with players such as Turnbull, Campbell and Brown ?

Do we also stick with our regular formation or try something new ? I can't be the only one who thinks that other teams have now worked out the weaknesses in our system and know exactly how to take us apart. Ukraine and Ireland certainly did.

I think souttar needs a run in the team. Hes played well against denmark and armenia and our regular centre backs have let us down alot. Not saying they should be binned but the ranking order of who plays in the back three has been totally thrown into chaos after these three results and i think souttar and tierney once fit are the only two i would completely trust. The others will need to earn their places again.

5 minutes ago, ErsatzThistle said:

I have said it on another thread. We cannot and should not be starting on Tuesday with Robertson, McGinn, McGregor and Adams. Their tank is clearly empty plus it will be damned hot. Get players in with a point to prove and looking to impress and ditch the 3 central defenders pish. Go to a 4-4-2 or 4-3-3. I'd start with this line-up:-

Gordon

Ralston or Patterson                         Souttar          Hanley (only because McKenna looked injured)            Hickey

Armstrong                                  Gilmour                              McTominay   

Turnbull                                Brown                                Stewart                                          

ROI players have been playing all season as well but this never showed at anytime during the game, so not really buying that players are burned out. Just have no plan B when Robertson is doubled up on and Tierney is missing.

This showed against Ukraine and again today.

1 minute ago, robbo cop said:

ROI players have been playing all season as well but this never showed at anytime during the game, so not really buying that players are burned out. Just have no plan B when Robertson is doubled up on and Tierney is missing.

This showed against Ukraine and again today.

It played a part but for me I point a finger at the formation. No Tierney - no point playing it.

21 minutes ago, ErsatzThistle said:

Wholesale changes and altering formation could backfire. However, I do agree we are looking so stale and predicatable. Any team that does even a little bit of homework on us has us sussed. 

As someone else said, we are far too reliant on McGinn and Robertson. So, if 1 or both have an off day (like today) we look clueless. If you add in Patterson and Tierney as an attacking threat, we can generally compensate. But that is asking a lot.

A back 4 with another midfielder should have been deployed the last 3 games. And definitely should be against Armenia.

Turnbull is an absolute must for Tuesday. His forward passing is exceptional and can score from nothing. He is woefully underutilised by Clarke.

1 minute ago, Caledonian Craig said:

It played a part but for me I point a finger at the formation. No Tierney - no point playing it.

That's what I mean about the similarity in todays match and the Ukraine game, but the lesson was not learned. Other teams have now worked out how we are going to set the team up.

Change formation which blatantly doesn’t work anymore.

Play Souttar from the start. Drop ineffective non contributors like McGregor & Christie and try and galvanise the side a bit.

Would love a different formation with proper attacking width & attacking full backs. 

Clarkes job will be on the line if we don’t win Tuesday. 

Edited by ProudScot

2 minutes ago, robbo cop said:

That's what I mean about the similarity in todays match and the Ukraine game, but the lesson was not learned. Other teams have now worked out how we are going to set the team up.

Yup and if you look at the nightmare performances in those games it came from one or two of the central defenders (Cooper V Ukraine and Hendry and Hanley tonight). And we play three central defenders when dropping one to beef up midfield or attack makes much more sense.

1 minute ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Yup and if you look at the nightmare performances in those games it came from one or two of the central defenders (Cooper V Ukraine and Hendry and Hanley tonight). And we play three central defenders when dropping one to beef up midfield or attack makes much more sense.

Will be interested to see the formation for the next game. Also ROI can do us a favour hopefully.

6 minutes ago, ProudScot said:

Change formation which blatantly doesn’t work anymore.

Play Souttar from the start. Drop ineffective non contributors like McGregor & Christie and try and galvanise the side a bit.

Would love a different formation with proper attacking width & attacking full backs. 

Clarkes job will be on the line if we don’t win Tuesday. 

We dont have much in terms of wingers if we try to play 442. Forrest whos never fit and barely plays well for scotland and a fraser who never turns up is really all we have unless we choose to try brown or armstrong on wings. I reckon a 433 could work when frasers fit. Adams, brown and fraser as a front three might be an option against weaker sides. Plenty of pace in that front three as well.

17 minutes ago, mccaughey85 said:

We dont have much in terms of wingers if we try to play 442. Forrest whos never fit and barely plays well for scotland and a fraser who never turns up is really all we have unless we choose to try brown or armstrong on wings. I reckon a 433 could work when frasers fit. Adams, brown and fraser as a front three might be an option against weaker sides. Plenty of pace in that front three as well.

I agree the only player who comes close to being a winger is Ryan Fraser but cannot be relied upon on a consistent basis.

Prior to that there was Oliver Burke who could leave defenders standing but had no end product. 

Would love a wide player with pace and the ability to take on defenders the way John Robertson, Wee Jinky and Pat Nevin did to name but a few. Does not seem to be any out there unfortunately.

1 minute ago, robbo cop said:

I agree the only player who comes close to being a winger is Ryan Fraser but cannot be relied upon on a consistent basis.

Prior to that there was Oliver Burke who could leave defenders standing but had no end product. 

Would love a wide player with pace and the ability to take on defenders the way John Robertson, Wee Jinky and Pat Nevin did to name but a few. Does not seem to be any out there unfortunately.

Its probably part of the reason clarke doesnt bother with 442. If we had a couple of world class wingers we wpuld probably play a 442 or 433. Obviously the other main reason is to fit tierney in.

Patterson, Hickey, Campbell, Turnbull, Souttar and Brown give them a chance, freshen things up and more exciting than what i have seen in the last matches surely and they might actually want to play, but they will probably get 5 mins at the end. 

11 hours ago, robbo cop said:

That’s why I kept banging on about Elliot Anderson.

Scott Wright should have been brought in when Dykes pulled out.

23 minutes ago, er yir macaroon said:

That’s why I kept banging on about Elliot Anderson.

Scott Wright should have been brought in when Dykes pulled out.

Clarke did not really bring anyone to change the game he plays someone like Wright, Fraser, Siriki Dembele or Forrest, not one winger.