Ireland Saturday - Page 14 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Ireland Saturday

ProudScot

22 minutes ago, Malcolm said:

Maloney was terrible. Missing in action. Waste of a jersey 

One of my favourite Scotland goals every was Malloney Vs Ireland at Parkhead.  Surrounded by Irish in home end behind the goal - huge bounce when ball hit the net. Followed by Paddy's asking us why we didnt vote for independence in 2014 😂

Disclamer : Malloney went to my school and used to date my pals sister.  Clearly talented player : but good example of a Scottish player who could have done more at this level. (but for what ever reason didn't). Clearly a league above Shane Duffy or any Irish player on park tonight.

• Replies 364
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

40 minutes ago, Haggis_trap said:

One of my favourite Scotland goals every was Malloney Vs Ireland at Parkhead.  Surrounded by Irish in home end behind the goal - huge bounce when ball hit the net. Followed by Paddy's asking us why we didnt vote for independence in 2014 😂

Disclamer : Malloney went to my school and used to date my pals sister.  Clearly talented player : but good example of a Scottish player who could have done more at this level. (but for what ever reason didn't). Clearly a league above Shane Duffy or any Irish player on park tonight.

Too many injuries fucked him. 

Anyone in the march to the stadium might have been lucky enough to see the team arrive in the bus. Was a bit disappointed not one of the players could muster up a wave to my 10yr old son as he stood waving to them passing. Pricks 

12 hours ago, dezmondo said:

Anyone in the march to the stadium might have been lucky enough to see the team arrive in the bus. Was a bit disappointed not one of the players could muster up a wave to my 10yr old son as he stood waving to them passing. Pricks 

too busy thinking about how they were going to make an arse of it

19 hours ago, Orraloon said:

I still think we were too quick to get rid of McLeish. He got sacked on the back of that one bad result. Every other manager was given more of a chance than that.

I think it was a bit more than just a single result.

The results under McLeish were:

• Costa Rica (H) - Lost 1-0
  • Hungary (A) - Won 1-0
  • Peru (A) - Lost 2-0
  • Mexico (A) - Lost 1-0
  • Belgium (H) - Lost 4-0
  • Albania (H) - Won 2-0
  • Israel (A) - Lost 2-1
  • Portugal (H) - Lost 3-1
  • Albania (A) - Won 4-0
  • Israel (H) - Won 3-2
  • Kazakhstan (A) - Lost 3-0
  • San Marino (A) - Won 2-0

The Israel and Kazakhstan (particularly) games were bad results. Other than the Albania away game - against a poor side - I can't remember a good performance under McLeish.

Hungary had just come off the back of a really poor World Cup qualifying campaign, where they lost in Andorra and drew with the Faroes; Albania had peaked at Euro 2016; Israel had lost eight of their previous ten prior to their victory over us, including a 3-0 defeat to Northern Ireland the month before, with the non-losses being a 1-0 win in Liechtenstein and a 1-1 draw at home to Moldova.

Whether we'd've performed better under a different manager or whether we'd've improved under McLeish like we did under Clarke is an unknown. Keep in mind though, we'd gone unbeaten in 2017 and saw much improve performances, until the 1-0 defeat to the Dutch after Strachan had walked.

I think the Kazakhstan was more the straw the broke the camel's back rather than the sole reason we changed manager.

21 hours ago, ErsatzThistle said:

Anyone else starting to get a nasty feeling we may see someone make a shock retirement or "take a break" from Scotland duty in the next week or so ?

I can't for the life of me explain why, just a bad feeling I've got.

Fingers crossed its Scott McTominay 

4 hours ago, Bobby Russell's Lovechild said:

Screenshot_20220612-163529_Facebook.jpg

Shows you how bad things are in the Irish setup, generally, at the minute. The previous director of the FAI (John Delaney) was sucking funds out of the organisation for years, which didn't help matters at all, plus jobs for the boys and presents for his bits on the side. The book 'Champagne Football', regarding Delaney's reign, is an absolutely outrageous cautionary tale. 

Although I would be a fan of the Irish team and was pleased they won, I didn't see the match as indicative of overall form. Scotland were probably feeling a bit under-motivated coming off a WC playoff into an NL game, and Ireland was likely feeling the pressure to try and really perform after two lacklustre results. Ireland's chances well taken, whereas Scotland had a couple of gifts that they just couldn't capitalise upon. I expect a more even game in the return at Hampden. 

Anyway, the NL is a glorified series of friendlies and neither team is going to the WC, so f*** it. Let's just get back to one thing we can agree on. Hoping England lose. 🍺🍺🍺

8 hours ago, Briany said:

Shows you how bad things are in the Irish setup, generally, at the minute. The previous director of the FAI (John Delaney) was sucking funds out of the organisation for years, which didn't help matters at all, plus jobs for the boys and presents for his bits on the side. The book 'Champagne Football', regarding Delaney's reign, is an absolutely outrageous cautionary tale. 

Although I would be a fan of the Irish team and was pleased they won, I didn't see the match as indicative of overall form. Scotland were probably feeling a bit under-motivated coming off a WC playoff into an NL game, and Ireland was likely feeling the pressure to try and really perform after two lacklustre results. Ireland's chances well taken, whereas Scotland had a couple of gifts that they just couldn't capitalise upon. I expect a more even game in the return at Hampden. 

Anyway, the NL is a glorified series of friendlies and neither team is going to the WC, so f*** it. Let's just get back to one thing we can agree on. Hoping England lose. 🍺🍺🍺

👍

Worst performance and result for a long time. Attitude and ability both shocking.

Funny to see the different reactions on here though. McTominay and Robertson in particular seem to be getting the brunt of it. Robertsons been very poor, McTominay not so poor imo but also not good.

However guys like McGinn have been a waste of a shirt. Ralston is so far out his depth its unreal. The 2nd goal is schoolboy stuff. Even McGreggor has been very poor.

12 minutes ago, Diamond Scot said:

Worst performance and result for a long time. Attitude and ability both shocking.

Funny to see the different reactions on here though. McTominay and Robertson in particular seem to be getting the brunt of it. Robertsons been very poor, McTominay not so poor imo but also not good.

However guys like McGinn have been a waste of a shirt. Ralston is so far out his depth its unreal. The 2nd goal is schoolboy stuff. Even McGreggor has been very poor.

Ralstons not to blame for the second goal.

5 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Yup I would lay the blame on Hendry for that goal. Lost his man who drifted in behind him to head home.

Yeh i agree, hendrys slow in chasing down the ball and also gordon doesnt come off his line quick enough. Hanley doesnt even chase the ball but tbf i would say its more hendrys side. Both centre backs shouldnt allow a ball being played like that from centre midfield to go over their heads without chasing it down and at least making an attempt at tackling or blocking. Saying that its a well excuted pass from obafemi and perfectly weighted. 

The first goal is a mess from so many of our players, not sure who to blame in particular there.

Third goal is just a brilliant strike, it swerves so much that gordon can be forgiven for not getting a hand to it.

On 6/12/2022 at 1:32 AM, dezmondo said:

The frightening thing is even after that fucking abomination of a performance they would  still     believe that they are above that sort of thing. Was at the stadium when they arrived and not a single one of them that i could see even glanced in the direction of the fans to acknowledge their efforts to be there to support them. Could just see Robertson ignoring the Liverpool fans.... don't fucking think so. If any of those fuckers find it to too difficult to acknowledge their supporters they can get to fuck. ANY OF THEM. God knows how ignorant they would be if they were actually any good. 

21 minutes ago, mccaughey85 said:

Yeh i agree, hendrys slow in chasing down the ball and also gordon doesnt come off his line quick enough. Hanley doesnt even chase the ball but tbf i would say its more hendrys side. Both centre backs shouldnt allow a ball being played like that from centre midfield to go over their heads without chasing it down and at least making an attempt at tackling or blocking. Saying that its a well excuted pass from obafemi and perfectly weighted. 

The first goal is a mess from so many of our players, not sure who to blame in particular there.

Third goal is just a brilliant strike, it swerves so much that gordon can be forgiven for not getting a hand to it.

I agree but the third goal, for all it was a quality strike, the ball broke to him after we lost the ball after having a chance to clear it. Very disappointing that.

21 minutes ago, mccaughey85 said:

2nd goal. The goalscorer is lying on the ground about 40 yards out when ball goes into the midfielder. Ralston is standing right beside him. Guy gets up, starts a gentle run, Ralston makes no attempt to get goal side, midfielder gets on the ball, guy starts running faster (not a sprint), again Ralston just matches his pace whilst behind him, gut then sees the pass and increases his speed. Ralston just stops, leaving the guy a free header. Ralston had 3 opportunities to stop that goal. Even if he had continued sprinting then the finish becomes harder. All Hendry does is get caught under a very good pass, nothing he can do about the run at that stage.

1st goal was a classic "Barosic" against Celtic type where the players just dont deal with it and are unaware the players coming in behind. This is less Ralstons sole fault as there were 3 of them but Ralstons the nearest the ball, its on his favoured foot and he is flat the the goal rather than facing it so less chance of an OG. He just doesnt deal with it. McGinn could have done the same but he at least has ths excuse of Ralston being in front of him and it being on his wrong foot.

5 minutes ago, Diamond Scot said:

2nd goal. The goalscorer is lying on the ground about 40 yards out when ball goes into the midfielder. Ralston is standing right beside him. Guy gets up, starts a gentle run, Ralston makes no attempt to get goal side, midfielder gets on the ball, guy starts running faster (not a sprint), again Ralston just matches his pace whilst behind him, gut then sees the pass and increases his speed. Ralston just stops, leaving the guy a free header. Ralston had 3 opportunities to stop that goal. Even if he had continued sprinting then the finish becomes harder. All Hendry does is get caught under a very good pass, nothing he can do about the run at that stage.

1st goal was a classic "Barosic" against Celtic type where the players just dont deal with it and are unaware the players coming in behind. This is less Ralstons sole fault as there were 3 of them but Ralstons the nearest the ball, its on his favoured foot and he is flat the the goal rather than facing it so less chance of an OG. He just doesnt deal with it. McGinn could have done the same but he at least has ths excuse of Ralston being in front of him and it being on his wrong foot.

Sorry but i just dont see how that story can possibly explain ralston being to blame.  The ball is played over the heads of the centre backs into an area both the centre backs and goalkeeper should be responsible for. Trying to pin the blame on a rwb for what is essentially a simple ball over the top into the centre of the penalty box is hard to understand. Personally i think both hanley and hendry should turn and chase the ball in that situation which is what hendry does but hes still too slow and ends up being unable to put in serious challenge. Also gordon should be off his line quicker and i think hes to blame as well. 

22 minutes ago, mccaughey85 said:

Sorry but i just dont see how that story can possibly explain ralston being to blame.  The ball is played over the heads of the centre backs into an area both the centre backs and goalkeeper should be responsible for. Trying to pin the blame on a rwb for what is essentially a simple ball over the top into the centre of the penalty box is hard to understand. Personally i think both hanley and hendry should turn and chase the ball in that situation which is what hendry does but hes still too slow and ends up being unable to put in serious challenge. Also gordon should be off his line quicker and i think hes to blame as well. 

Because defending isnt just about the final act. Hanley and Hendry and both in good positions. They cant press the passer as he is in midfield, they cant push out as it would leave 2 much space in behind and they cant drop deeper as generally thats not a good thing to do in the context of a wider game. Yes, when the ball is played Hendry could and probably should have turned abit quickly but at that stage its always a reaction thing.

It was Ralstons man, in that phase of play. He is lazy when tracking / doesnt recognise the danger and then just gives up the ghost / hopes somebody else will bail him out.

Not tracking a man is criminal at any level. Its so hard to play CB when the rest of the team arent tracking as its almost impossible to position yourself accodingly.

Fact is, if Hendry had reacted better then at best theres a chance the goal would have been prevented. If Ralston gets goal side and stays goal side when the guy gets off the floor then its not a goal. Its probably unlikely the ball even gets played. 

Go back and watch it again and concentrate in the scorer from the point the GK humps the ball forward.