Ireland Saturday - Page 10 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Ireland Saturday

ProudScot

Just now, Bobby Russell's Lovechild said:

Some of the euro qualifiers, and then it's too late, like every manager we've had since Craig Brown 

For me he deserves that chance at the Euros. If we start well, everyone will forget about today 

• Replies 364
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Another thing that pisses me off - Clarke talking up Ireland pre-match. FFS they had not won a Nations League game until tonight yet Clarke was painting them as the invincibles. If that is his style in team talks then is it any wonder we play with such fear.

The merit points Clarke had are all but gone now. I'd say we are back where we were two years ago. Scratching around for hope and positivity but no sign of it around.

I actually forgot the game was on today. Just not interested in this Nations League pish. Players must feel gutted after losing so meekly to Ukraine and maybe just could not lift themselves for what is a mickey mouse tournament. 

Just now, Clyde1998 said:

We lack any real creativity; the only player in the squad who I think can create regular chances when we're lacking confidence would be Turnbull. He's got to play in Yerevan.

I'd make big changes for that game and Turnbull would be one I'd like to see in the starting lineup.

I think we the fans are also entitled to know if everything is ok behind the scenes, there is something about the players attitude today that has really spooked me out.

6 minutes ago, Willie Miller's tache said:

Robertson for Scotland is not the same as Robertson for Liverpool, gilmour’s not as good as we hoped he would be and mcginn is badly out of form. Plus our defenders and strikers are not v good. Ralston the only positive. 

I never like that criticism of Robertson, of course his performances for Scotland will be different to how he plays with one of the best sides in Europe, he’s doubled up on against most sides with no real willing runners around him, that being said every player should absolutely hang their heads after that tonight.

1 minute ago, thplinth said:

I actually forgot the game was on today. Just not interested in this Nations League pish. Players must feel gutted after losing so meekly to Ukraine and maybe just could not lift themselves for what is a mickey mouse tournament. 

Unfortunately it’s probably our best chance of qualifying for the euros.

1 minute ago, thplinth said:

Short memory, can be vitally important to nations at our level, which is lower than I thought after today.

3 minutes ago, thplinth said:

A Mickey Mouse tournament that is basically our only chance of qualifying for a major tournament 

5 minutes ago, Eassy said:

I never like that criticism of Robertson, of course his performances for Scotland will be different to how he plays with one of the best sides in Europe, he’s doubled up on against most sides with no real willing runners around him, that being said every player should absolutely hang their heads after that tonight.

Good players naturally play better around other good players. Also at club level you're training with your team mates every day, compared to roughly a week every two months at international level - so players won't (necessarily) have the same level of cohesion.

5 minutes ago, ProudScot said:

A Mickey Mouse tournament that is basically our only chance of qualifying for a major tournament 

We just finished 2nd in a world cup qualifying group. We can do that again

Just now, vanderark14 said:

We just finished 2nd in a world cup qualifying group. We can do that again

It is possible - this route is the only route we’ve qualified for in over 20 years though. Does 2nd get us direct entry without a playoff? 

Just now, ProudScot said:

It is possible - this route is the only route we’ve qualified for in over 20 years though. Does 2nd get us direct entry without a playoff? 

I'm sure it does but happy to be corrected

Think we are probably back to where we were two years ago, the fortunate euros qualification set expectation too high and at an unrealistic level as to where we really are .

we will beat teams lower than us, fail too often against teams around our level.

we won’t trouble second seed type teams , never mind top seeds

Edited by DAVIDB46

14 minutes ago, vanderark14 said:

For me he deserves that chance at the Euros. If we start well, everyone will forget about today 

The world cup was the one though, qualifying for another bloated Euros through the back door to go and lump the ball up front for 90 mins does nothing for no one. He needs to go tomorrow otherwise we waste a talented generation on another dinosaur.

Just now, Mox said:

The world cup was the one though, qualifying for another bloated Euros through the back door to go and lump the ball up front for 90 mins does nothing for no one. He needs to go tomorrow otherwise we waste a talented generation on another dinosaur.

If we qualify for the euros I'd be over the fucking moon

1 minute ago, Mox said:

Is it a talented generation though? 

Guest Scot1
5 minutes ago, ErsatzThistle said:

Is a return to the 4-4-1-1 or 4-1-4-1 system that Smith and McLeish (Mk. I) used with some success the answer ?

Clarke should’ve been transitioning to a back 4 a long time ago.