Ireland Saturday - Page 11 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Ireland Saturday

ProudScot

5 minutes ago, DAVIDB46 said:

Think we are probably back to where we were two years ago, the fortunate euros qualification set expectation too high and at an unrealistic level as to where we really are .

we will beat teams lower than us, fail too often against teams around our level.

we won’t trouble second seed type teams , never mind top seeds

Yet under Vogts, Burley, Strachan and even Levein, we gave the likes of Germany, Croatia, Spain & the Netherlands (at home) real good games. I don't think Clarke's team could do this

• Replies 364
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Scot1
6 minutes ago, ParisInAKilt said:

Is it a talented generation though? 

I believe so, if we have the right manager in charge who can get the best out of this group of players. 

Edited by Scot1

13 minutes ago, Clyde1998 said:

Good players naturally play better around other good players. Also at club level you're training with your team mates every day, compared to roughly a week every two months at international level - so players won't (necessarily) have the same level of cohesion.

That must be why Bale plays so much better for madrid than he does for wales 🤔

2 minutes ago, Orraloon said:

Yes. But we are going to be in pot 3 now.

Now I think about it, I think one of the League B teams will be in pot 4. Somebody will tell me if I'm wrong? That could well be us, if we continue to play that badly.

2 minutes ago, Scot1 said:

I believe so, if we have the right manager in charge who can see how to get the best out of this group of players. 

Clarke’s been able to do that on a few occasions but I’m not so sure we’re good enough, obviously a performance like that is unforgivable and the manager must take the blame but I think our problems run deeper than the manager. 

5 minutes ago, Bobby Russell's Lovechild said:

Yet under Vogts, Burley, Strachan and even Levein, we gave the likes of Germany, Croatia, Spain & the Netherlands (at home) real good games. I don't think Clarke's team could do this

We gave England a game, we beat Denmark who are a top side right now. 

I didn't think we gave Spain a game, the scoreline makes it look closer than it was. I always felt they could go up another gear if they had to.

Guest Scot1
Just now, ParisInAKilt said:

Clarke’s been able to do that on a few occasions but I’m not so sure we’re good enough, obviously a performance like that is unforgivable and the manager must take the blame but I think our problems run deeper than the manager. 

I think a good manager will switch us to a back 4, if he can then get the balance right in midfield (built around Gilmour), we’ve got a decent team.

That was on a par with Kazakhstan away in 2019. At least then we had the mitigating factors of the game being played in the back of beyond in a different time zone and McLeish having to field a second-string team because of multiple call-offs. With the exception of Tierney and possibly Dykes our strongest team was available to the manager today, yet they produce that shite!

1 minute ago, scotlad said:

That was on a par with Kazakhstan away in 2019. At least then we had the mitigating factors of the game being played in the back of beyond in a different time zone and McLeish having to field a second-string team because of multiple call-offs. With the exception of Tierney and possibly Dykes our strongest team was available to the manager today, yet they produce that shite!

It was definitely the worst performance under Clarke but I don't feel as bad after this compared to Kazakhstan. I still think this team has something with this manager

2 minutes ago, scotlad said:

I still think we were too quick to get rid of McLeish. He got sacked on the back of that one bad result. Every other manager was given more of a chance than that.

Just now, ErsatzThistle said:

There was something about the demeanour of several Scotland players today that I just didn't like.

Almost like a "fuck this for a game of sodgers" kind of vibe.

I'll say it again, something just ain't right and it's being kept from us.

I agree, something is off. The energy and pace of the team is way off what we've seen during the world cup group

1 minute ago, Orraloon said:

I still think we were too quick to get rid of McLeish. He got sacked on the back of that one bad result. Every other manager was given more of a chance than that.

Aye, you'll need better bait than that.  😂

1 minute ago, Orraloon said:

I realise that Alex McLeish is a great hero of yours, that's fine.

But he had to sacked for the good of his own physical health. Thankfully, he's looking great recently, which I'm glad to see.

Guest Scot1
2 minutes ago, ErsatzThistle said:

There was something about the demeanour of several Scotland players today that I just didn't like.

Almost like a "fuck this for a game of sodgers" kind of vibe.

I'll say it again, something just ain't right and it's being kept from us.

Maybe something to do with Clarke’s reaction after the Ukraine defeat. I don’t believe that he “put his hands up” and took the blame, which in my opinion, he should’ve.

7 minutes ago, vanderark14 said:

I agree, something is off. The energy and pace of the team is way off what we've seen during the world cup group

All it takes is one bad apple (for example the greedy, selfish wee fucker Lou Macari in the 78' squad) to poison the rest of them.

Something definetly ain't right.

Have a group of players fallen out among themselves ?

Has there been a dispute with Steve Clarke or one of the coaches ?

Or are the SFA blazer brigade involved ?

A team just doesn't collapse like that. There's got to be a deeper reason.

Edited by ErsatzThistle

4 minutes ago, Scot1 said:

Maybe something to do with Clarke’s reaction after the Ukraine defeat. I don’t believe that he “put his hands up” and took the blame, which in my opinion, he should’ve.

The players did........well the captain did take responsibility 

Just now, Orraloon said:

What happened to that guy on here who said McLeish was an Alzheimers riddled alcoholic? He seemed perfectly OK the last time I saw him.

He had health problems three years ago and was in no state to continue as manager. There were also rumours that the players themselves raised serious concerns for his welfare.

He looked great when he met my grandad at the cup final a few weeks back.

The decision to sack McLeish was nonetheless the correct one.

Just now, Orraloon said:

What happened to that guy on here who said McLeish was an Alzheimers riddled alcoholic? He seemed perfectly OK the last time I saw him.

Gosh who could that be. I am pretty sure he is online right now. (More than one. Both online within the last 20 minutes.)