Ireland Saturday - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Ireland Saturday

ProudScot

Robby McCrorie called up to take David Marshall’s spot.

Seems odd McLoughlin isn’t called up but McCorie is 15 years younger than Craig Gordon so good Clarke is looking to a bit of youth, if you can fall a 24 year old youth. 

Be interesting to see how the team lines up in terms of shape and who keeps their place from last nights win for Saturday. 

• Replies 364
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe McLaughlin doesn't want to turn up to be a bench warmer anymore ?

McCrorie (and Ross Doohan) would do well to get permanent moves away from their respective clubs, we need them playing regular football.

Also, really don't want to see Hanley play against Ireland. They have some nippy young forwards, and he'll either give away a penalty or get turned inside out by them. Stick with Hendry, Souttar and McKenna.

They may be on a downer but we underestimate Ireland at our peril.

19 minutes ago, ErsatzThistle said:

Absolutely. Already a must win game for Ireland. The Nations League is crucial for teams similar to us.

Edited by Och Aye

51 minutes ago, ProudScot said:

Seems odd McLoughlin isn’t called up but McCorie is 15 years younger than Craig Gordon so good Clarke is looking to a bit of youth, if you can fall a 24 year old youth. 

Be interesting to see how the team lines up in terms of shape and who keeps their place from last nights win for Saturday. 

Excellent news. Clear intent that Clarke has him marked as a potential number 1. Hopefully he bends his ear in camp to get away from Rangers. Goalies have long careers, but, at 24, he really shouldn't be 3rd choice anywhere. I'm sure Gordon will give him strong advice as well, as leaving Celtic resurrected his Scotland career.

We are (hopefully) entering our golden generation. Ireland are in their darkest period this century. We absolutely need to exploit that.

I'd like to see a back 5 of Robertson, McKenna, Hanley, Souttar and Ralston.

1 minute ago, supersub said:

Looking for nothing less than 3 points from Saturday. Watching Armenia last night makes me wonder how they beat Ireland.

Points should be ours but still need to turn up, put in the graft and work for them.

Armenia were in their element against Ireland in hot conditions. They managed to shut Ireland out and nick a winner. They put so much into getting that win and then had a long flight and match on a wet pitch to sap energy even more. They were running on fumes hence three substitutions made at half-time.

Armenia are normally not a terrible side hence why they are in our group which they got into through promotion. I am not saying they are brilliant (far from it) but circumstances dictated how they looked last night.

3 hours ago, Och Aye said:

Absolutely. Already a must win game for Ireland. The Nations League is crucial for teams similar to us.

I think it's already too late for Ireland to win the group but that won't make it any easier for us. It's going to be tough game especially if we miss as many chances as we did last night. We do like to get into the record books, though. First team that Gibraltar scored against, we could be on the end of Irelands first Nations League win?

There are several players who you feel must be due a rest but can we do without them against Ireland. Those in that category I'd list Andy Robertson, Callum McGregor, John McGinn and Che Adams. Robertson could be replaced by Aaron Hickey I suppose, Callum McGregor could be rested for several midfielders such as McTominay, Gilmour, Armstrong or even having a look at Campbell. McGinn would be a tough one to replace as would Adams with Clarke having to show complete faith in Brown or Stewart which would go against what we have seen in recent games where Brown and Stewart have only been used in cameo roles.

30 minutes ago, breeks_mctavish said:

I wonder if we might see Ross Stewart playing Saturday. Ireland concede lots of goals from headers. Stewart scores quite a few. Adams is due a rest…

Him and brown deserve some serious gametime, hoping one of them starts and plays well. 

11 hours ago, ErsatzThistle said:

McCrorie (and Ross Doohan) would do well to get permanent moves away from their respective clubs, we need them playing regular football.

Also, really don't want to see Hanley play against Ireland. They have some nippy young forwards, and he'll either give away a penalty or get turned inside out by them. Stick with Hendry, Souttar and McKenna.

mcrorie unlikely to leave rangers now.  Mcgregor is on a pay as you play contract, so I imagine mcrorie will see himself fight mcglaughlin for the main jersey.  If he can’t get in the rangers team he isn’t Scotland quality.

I worry about the goalkeeper position. Nobody obvious coming through at the top level.

13 hours ago, breeks_mctavish said:

I wonder if we might see Ross Stewart playing Saturday. Ireland concede lots of goals from headers. Stewart scores quite a few. Adams is due a rest…

This is how I would go with Christie and Mcginn either side of him and would then think Brown gets more than 5 mins as a sub.

I could see a midfield of Mctominay and Gilmour although McGregor hard to leave out.

Robbo and Ralston to start. Obvious its why they were taken off on wednesday. 

21 hours ago, ProudScot said:

Seems a bit odd him calling up a goalie who was third choice at Rangers last season ahead of someone who was second choice. 

It seems even odder when Clarke already has two "young" goalkeepers (inverted commas because one of them turns 30 in a couple of weeks!) in the squad who have yet to see any game time between them.

21 hours ago, ErsatzThistle said:

I'd be happy with a draw, to be honest.

9 hours ago, Malcolm said:

mcrorie unlikely to leave rangers now.  Mcgregor is on a pay as you play contract, so I imagine mcrorie will see himself fight mcglaughlin for the main jersey.  If he can’t get in the rangers team he isn’t Scotland quality.

I worry about the goalkeeper position. Nobody obvious coming through at the top level.

McGregor signing anything is horrendous news for McRorie. I don't see why this would make McRorie less likely to leave. So McGregor is going to linger around the place, playing the odd game (if not most). McLaughlin will either get the cup games again or be used in the league more often. Plus, there have been various reports of Rangers signing another goalkeeper.

McRorie could be 4th in line by the the time the transfer window shuts. He needs to get out of there as soon as possible. Steve Clarke clearly rates him. He'll pushing for him to make a move. I'd imagine most clubs in the SPFL would take him outside of the Glasgow and Edinburgh big 4.

Hopefully McCrorie goes out on loan (at least) against next season, even if it's in English League One (I think he's probably a bit better than that though). He's at the age where he should start improving quickly with some regular game time.

6 minutes ago, Clyde1998 said:

Hopefully McCrorie goes out on loan (at least) against next season, even if it's in English League One (I think he's probably a bit better than that though). He's at the age where he should start improving quickly with some regular game time.

He's gone on loan 4 times now. Unless he is assured first team football at Rangers, he needs to get out. 

1 hour ago, Tartan blood said:

McGregor signing anything is horrendous news for McRorie. I don't see why this would make McRorie less likely to leave. So McGregor is going to linger around the place, playing the odd game (if not most). McLaughlin will either get the cup games again or be used in the league more often. Plus, there have been various reports of Rangers signing another goalkeeper.

McRorie could be 4th in line by the the time the transfer window shuts. He needs to get out of there as soon as possible. Steve Clarke clearly rates him. He'll pushing for him to make a move. I'd imagine most clubs in the SPFL would take him outside of the Glasgow and Edinburgh big 4.

I would say given Gordon is almost 40 & Marshall is a pretty poor goalkeeper that both the Edinburgh clubs would be keen on him also.

The problem is they probably couldn’t afford him if Rangers sold him as he would command a decent sized fee of a couple of million. 

Hopefully McGregor retires and McCrorie can usurp McLoughlin next season, ideally placing him to take over the gloves from Craig Gordon in a couple of years time for us. 

11 hours ago, Malcolm said:

We have a lot of young guys that have moved down south in the English u23s just need them to start getting first team game time at least some loans. Slicker at Man city has been on there bench a couple of times same as Angelini at Watford. Norwich have a couple of guys Mair and Mccracken. The Hogarths one got a new contract at Rangers this week and one is at West Ham, Metcalf Middlesbrough and Long Lincoln that I can think of but none really getting game time. 

24 minutes ago, syecosse said:

We have a lot of young guys that have moved down south in the English u23s just need them to start getting first team game time at least some loans. Slicker at Man city has been on there bench a couple of times same as Angelini at Watford. Norwich have a couple of guys Mair and Mccracken. The Hogarths one got a new contract at Rangers this week and one is at West Ham, Metcalf Middlesbrough and Long Lincoln that I can think of but none really getting game time. 

Can see Ashby at West Ham getting a good bit of game time this season. League Cup/European Conference ties 🤞

3 minutes ago, Och Aye said:

Can see Ashby at West Ham getting a good bit of game time this season. League Cup/European Conference ties 🤞

Sorry meant to say promising keepers down south, but yeah we seem to have more youngsters down south than I can remember just hope a lot kick on, seen that West ham let go Frederick's to apparently Fulham as Ashby is ahead of him now have also seen like Elliot Anderson he is one of interest for England although how many Right backs do they need. 

5 minutes ago, Och Aye said:

He turns 21 in November, he needs more regular first team football than that. A loan move to a Championship club would be better for Ashby.

1 minute ago, syecosse said:

Sorry meant to say promising keepers down south, but yeah we seem to have more youngsters down south than I can remember just hope a lot kick on, seen that West ham let go Frederick's to apparently Fulham as Ashby is ahead of him now have also seen like Elliot Anderson he is one of interest for England although how many Right backs do they need. 

Anderson is an attacking midfielder, not a right back.