Steve Clarke discussion - Page 8 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Steve Clarke discussion

romanticscot

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Was on the fence a bit regarding him after the Irish/Ukraine games in the early summer. No doubt some forms of progress, but felt he was too conservative and slow to change ; but he deserved the campaign and we've improved and not just that, got the job done (last night was a marvelous result, we'd have lost that probably a year or two ago).

Secured us a playoff for the Euros ; and 99% guaranteed one for the 2028 Euros too (if UEFA keep going with the Nations League system) AND we are second seeds for next week's qualifying!

If we get to the Euros in 2024, he'll be wanted by a lot of big clubs! It was actually need to see how happy he looked last night too.

Overall, he's done a very good job ; but we do have some very decent players coming through. We need to get to 2024!

Clarke still does things that grate on me at times. How Kenny McLean lasted as long on the pitch as he did last night is beyond me. I also think his failure to blood a successor to Gordon thus far is a mistake heā€™s gotten away with up till now.

But, overall heā€™s done very well and he and his coaching team deserve enormous credit for getting us through a treacherously difficult tie last night, especially in the circumstances surrounding the loss of key players. All in all itā€™s probably as good a week as Scotland fans have had in a long time

Personally I think that fans worrying about clubs coming for him are worrying about nothing but you never knowĀ Ā šŸ˜ƒ

Edited by slasher

He seems to enjoy the job, he doesn't need the money and international fitba is probably a perfect gig for a young grandfather etc, and he does seem fairly positive about Scotland and the nation as well - if a bit dour at times.

I honestly don't think he'd leave us for someone like Fulham. Who knows though

10 hours ago, mccaughey85 said:

We officially lost 3 nil but it clearly should of been 4 nil.Ā 

So this squad is better than every squad that has come before it due to the standard of football being better?

šŸ˜‚šŸ˜‚šŸ˜‚

It wasnā€™t 4-0 though. You canā€™t just invent your own scores for matches.Ā 

10 hours ago, mccaughey85 said:

Steady on, we got a hard fought draw with ukraine and tbf ukraine had some good chances that they should of taken. We were lucky at times.

Do we have a centre back playing for an epl winning club(hendry)? Do we even have a centre back with years of epl experience(calderwood)?

Do we have a champions league winning centre mid(lambert) or epl winning centre mid(mccalister)?

Thats before we even start to talk about mccoist, gallacher, gough, leighton, goram and collins. Even guys like john spencer(96) neil sullivan(98)were solid epl regulars.Ā 

I am loving this squad at the moment but wether its better than 98 or 96 is debatable. Ppl forget we qualified automatically for world cup 98. We were a strong unit in the late 90s and we had a squad of mostly epl and old firm players at a time when the old firm were much stronger.

I would probably say this squad has the potential to be better as its much younger than those squads especially the 98 squad but currently theres not much in it.

We came second in our group though just like we did in our last World Cup qualifying group.Ā 

Comparing the current squad to any previous squad prior to the last 20 years is difficult.Ā 

We are definitely stronger in some areas now than the 98 squad but we are also weaker in other areas.

8 hours ago, duncan II said:

Sharp was awful for us, as was Archibald. I'll probably get shot down for this but Colin Hendry wasn't some Beckenbauer figure. He was fairly limited. He was blood and guts and had flowing locks but there's some amount of revisionism to portray him as a colossus.

I always think this about Hendry too, glad other agree

5 hours ago, weekevie04 said:

If we get to the Euros in 2024, he'll be wanted by a lot of big clubs! It was actually need to see how happy he looked last night too.

By that point Steve will be the wrong side of 60. Big clubs tend not to hire managers of that vintage these days, and would he be interested in starting a new job at that age?

Ā 

10 hours ago, Squirrelhumper said:

Only person that has said this is the greatest squad ever is, erm, you.

Well going by your logic it must be true.Ā 

Football and sport in general usually goes up in standard. Are our squads of the 70s weaker than todays because football standards are much higher?

Footballs moved on and if you tranported our 96 and 98 squads to today they would struggle big time imo but the same could be said of any generation we have including this one. If you transport this generation forward 25 years they wont technically be as good as the future generation.Ā 

9 hours ago, er yir macaroon said:

As much as I respect his contribution for us, the above is true. Blackburn played quite industrial football and he was a player who could clear his lines and dominate the box. He didnā€™t have pace or particularly good technique, and wasnā€™t as good as Gough, for example. I wouldnā€™t swap him for Jack.Ā 

Ā 

Being a centre back has changed in the last 20 or so years. The modern centre back is expected to be a technicallyĀ  good footballer that can pass and carry the ball out from defence. The 90s was more penalty box defending and putting in last ditch tackles. Alot of centre backs werent that skilled and were pretty limited in terms of natural ability.Ā 

Trying to compare the likes of colin hendry to modern day centre backs in terms of technical ability is unfair, the games moved on and changed too much. Colin hendry for his time was very good at what a centre needed to be which was very much defending and clearing the danger. He was excellent at last ditch tackles and blocks.Ā 

13 hours ago, slasher said:

Clarke still does things that grate on me at times. How Kenny McLean lasted as long on the pitch as he did last night is beyond me. I also think his failure to blood a successor to Gordon thus far is a mistake heā€™s gotten away with up till now.

But, overall heā€™s done very well and he and his coaching team deserve enormous credit for getting us through a treacherously difficult tie last night, especially in the circumstances surrounding the loss of key players. All in all itā€™s probably as good a week as Scotland fans have had in a long time

Personally I think that fans worrying about clubs coming for him are worrying about nothing but you never knowĀ Ā šŸ˜ƒ

When should he have blooded anther goalie? Gordon is by far and away our best goalie.Ā 

1 minute ago, Squirrelhumper said:

When should he have blooded anther goalie? Gordon is by far and away our best goalie.Ā 

The 2 recent friendlies against Poland and Austria.Ā  Or when we went 4-1 up in Armenia.Ā  Gordon is our best but what would we do in an emergency?

33 minutes ago, daviebee said:

The 2 recent friendlies against Poland and Austria.Ā  Or when we went 4-1 up in Armenia.Ā  Gordon is our best but what would we do in an emergency?

Friendlies fair enough but Poland & Austria games were in run up to a massive play off game, i don't blame him for trying to play as settled a team as possible.Ā 

Not sure how much they would have learned against Armenia at 4-1 hut you may have a point.Ā 

In an emergency we would play one of the sub goalies - Kelly plays every week for his club, we do need more goalies coming through but not much Clarke can do about that. Clark fannying about all summer only to be Hearts number 2 certainly isn't helping.Ā 

2 hours ago, Squirrelhumper said:

You seem to take any criticism of Clarke personally. Itā€™s fairly obvious we need a back up option but none have been properly explored šŸ™„

3 hours ago, slasher said:

You seem to take any criticism of Clarke personally. Itā€™s fairly obvious we need a back up option but none have been properly explored šŸ™„

Not at all, just think some go out their way to find issues.Ā 

I'm sure if we play a friendly next month then another goalie will be tested. As it stands, there is very slim pickings.Ā 

Said it before but you can only really try out new defensive players nowĀ  if you have any games left after you qualify or you have games left after you can't qualify. Clarke could have done the latter during his first campaign but probably wanted to install confidence in his senior players after the tankings we hadĀ  taken.

Otherwise you have to chuck players in like Considine an Porteous and hope for the best. So far so good.

I'm sure if the results had been different in our first two games last week we would have seen a different starting eleven against Ukraine.

I still think he got it wrong in the final two games of our previous Nations League campaign by not fielding our strongest side having said that.