Steve Clarke discussion - Page 3 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Steve Clarke discussion

romanticscot

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

30 minutes ago, Orraloon said:

Did you miss the Ukraine game?

Ukraine are a good team. I aint talking about games that were 50/50 matches. Pretty sure theres only been a couple of really bad results in clarkes tenure. 

We are not entitled to turn up and beat teams like ukraine or czech rep. You have to accept that with a squad of our abilities that we will occasionally lose games to the likes of ukraine czech rep etc.

If i said to you before clarke was appointed that he would have us qualify for the euros and make the play offs of the world cup would you have been happy with that outcome?

If your answer is no to that question then you were deluding yourself or forgetting how poor we have been this last 20 years.

39 minutes ago, ceudmilefailte said:

One?

Name me other games that we should be winning and havent? 

Ukraine and czech rep are tough matches. Take a look at czech rep recebt results. They are a good team.

To me having 1 bad result like todays doesnt merit a sacking especially when clarke has done well overall.

7 hours ago, mccaughey85 said:

Ukraine are a good team. I aint talking about games that were 50/50 matches. Pretty sure theres only been a couple of really bad results in clarkes tenure. 

We are not entitled to turn up and beat teams like ukraine or czech rep. You have to accept that with a squad of our abilities that we will occasionally lose games to the likes of ukraine czech rep etc.

If i said to you before clarke was appointed that he would have us qualify for the euros and make the play offs of the world cup would you have been happy with that outcome?

If your answer is no to that question then you were deluding yourself or forgetting how poor we have been this last 20 years.

Spot on. 

Before the Ukraine game I was praising Steve Clarke. So I am not going to about face and start slagging the guy now. (Plus I dont give a monkey's about the Nations League.)

Personally I think we got double fucked with the delay. It drained all our momentum going into the game and then we got double fucked as the Nations League games were then straight after when the disappointment of the Ukraine defeat was very fresh.

My only criticism of Clarke is that he seems too slow to react to things in the game and makes changes too late when things are clearly not working. McLeish was really good at that and was again much more aggressive.

8 hours ago, mccaughey85 said:

Name me other games that we should be winning and havent? 

Ukraine and czech rep are tough matches. Take a look at czech rep recebt results. They are a good team.

To me having 1 bad result like todays doesnt merit a sacking especially when clarke has done well overall.

I'm not one for knee-jerk reactions either, but fkin hell that was one desperate performance yesterday.  I thought we'd left sh*te like that way behind us.  That was as bad as anything I've ever witnessed.  Outplayed, out-thought, out-fought, out-everythinged by what was regarded as the worst Ireland side in decades.  There's zero excuse for that and he'd better turn things around PDQ or his jacket's on a shoogly nail.

The Ukraine/Ireland results and performances were absolutely soul destroying. To think where we were last autumn, now it’s back to this shi*te. I can’t help feeling somethings pi*ssed off all of some of the players and they’ve basically jacked it under Clarke. What the fk has happened to Gilmour? He has been a standout in virtually all of his Scotland caps now no where. Armenia away has got disaster all over it.

The likes of the Czechs are above us and we have no right to assume we will  beat them. Ukraine is similar - they will likely win our nations league group and be promoted to A. However, there is something about not having the belief we can at least compete with better nations. This group of players definitely showed this on occasion, for example against Denmark. The game yesterday was against a poor side that just bullied us and were organised. 

The tactics and team selections in the last three games have been poor. Nearly all of the goals conceded were very soft. We were streets ahead at home to Armenia yet Roberson, McGregor, Adams and McGinn all start when could clearly have benefited from the rest, especially when you see the cover we have in the squad. 

I recall the same rabid shouts for us to get rid of Strachan and fans got their way. Months later with McLeish in and poor results fans were lamenting the loss of Strachan. I could quite easily see the same thing happening here if Clarke were to be sacked.

However, everyone in that Scotland squad (management included) needs to have a good long look at themselves. They need to buck their ideas up and actually perform for us and play with spirit and management has to come up with different formations and use the likes of Turnbull, Brown and Stewart to try to freshen up out attack and bin three central defenders. I am hoping McKenna's injury, Cooper leaving the squad, poor showing by Henry and Hanley will force his hand and stop him playing that system.

57 minutes ago, JECK said:

The Ukraine/Ireland results and performances were absolutely soul destroying. To think where we were last autumn, now it’s back to this shi*te. I can’t help feeling somethings pi*ssed off all of some of the players and they’ve basically jacked it under Clarke. What the fk has happened to Gilmour? He has been a standout in virtually all of his Scotland caps now no where. Armenia away has got disaster all over it.

If that was the case then we'd be getting call-offs left, right and centre.  That doesn't happen anymore except for that wee nyaff down at Newcastle who's probably burned his bridges now anyway.

As for Gilmour, he had a disastrous season watching the ball sailing over his head out on loan at totally the wrong club and getting blamed by their support for not being the Messiah they expected.  Let's hope he recovers quickly as he hasn't suddenly become a bad player.

26 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

I recall the same rabid shouts for us to get rid of Strachan and fans got their way. Months later with McLeish in and poor results fans were lamenting the loss of Strachan. I could quite easily see the same thing happening here if Clarke were to be sacked.

However, everyone in that Scotland squad (management included) needs to have a good long look at themselves. They need to buck their ideas up and actually perform for us and play with spirit and management has to come up with different formations and use the likes of Turnbull, Brown and Stewart to try to freshen up out attack and bin three central defenders. I am hoping McKenna's injury, Cooper leaving the squad, poor showing by Henry and Hanley will force his hand and stop him playing that system.

If his hand needs to be forced, does that not imply he is not up to the job? 

10 hours ago, mccaughey85 said:

One of the huge differences between us and the likes of wales .

they have the belief that they are better than sides like Ukraine and Czech Republic and beat them on regular occasions , technically they aren’t but they have a belief against these second ranked type sides.

think back to the euros last summer they were shocked and so was their media that they were taken apart by Denmark

I keep forgetting we are better than wales though or so I told 

22 minutes ago, er yir macaroon said:

If his hand needs to be forced, does that not imply he is not up to the job? 

It can suggest a few things. That he is stubborn. Or that he lacks the trust in squad players to be brought in and build a new formation around them.or he is ignoring clear signs that the set formation is not working. Whatever it is he needs to show he is not a one trick pony formation-wise. 

Just now, Caledonian Craig said:

It can suggest a few things. That he is stubborn. Or that he lacks the trust in squad players to be brought in and build a new formation around them.or he is ignoring clear signs that the set formation is not working. Whatever it is he needs to show he is not a one trick pony formation-wise. 

I think he is a one trick pony and I’ve had enough of it. Opposition managers won’t believe their luck. 

Clarke has done a lot of good things in his tenure and deserves credit for that. The big question is taking us to the next level of success - a world cup, through a group stage, beating a full strength top team, etc. I can accept there will be hiccups along the way but the last week is definitely a bit of a downer and he really needs to put a good string of results together now to convince he can make the team reach that next step - to me that means beating ROI and Ukraine at home. I believe we've got the players to do it but need to be a bit more tactically aware and astute. You wouldn't think our midfield has our best players from recent games so why not use them? Could a 4-5-1 not be feasible?

Clarke has had a bit of an up and down time as Manager

After a Tough and Poor start, we started to see improvement and qualified via Penalties twice for the Euros

We then had two chances to move to Nations League Group A and be assured of Play Offs  We loose 1-0 to both Slovakia and Israel away. First two failures in Big Matches

The Euros come along and it was probably a Big ask to qualify from the group bit loosing 2-0 to Czech Republic and 3-1 to Croatia at Home, failures again.

After the defeat in Denmark we pull up our sleeves and gain second place in the World Cup group with some good and fortunate performance, here is where Clarke is entitled to credit.

Since the Denmark game we have played 5 times Winning once Armenia 2-0 drawing Twice from winning positions Poland 1-1 and Austria 2-2 and losing twice Ukraine 3-1 And Ireland 3-0  In my eyes these last five games are basically failure.

We haven't improved in the last 12 months as we are still loosing key matches. Slovakia, Israel, Czech Republic, Ukraine, Ireland  The only real victory being Denmark at home.

We miss Tierney so much, and some of the "Younger" defenders are not quite there yet Patterson, Ralston, Hickey, Hendry

Robertson is knackered

McTominay isn't a defender and will never be a Darren Fletcher

Ryan Christie is hopeless

We need width in the Final Third, probably on the right, Wing Backs cant be expected to be as creative as wide forwards / wingers the further up the park the get.

Lastly we need someone who will sore regularly and in the important matches.

12 minutes ago, Stockholm 1980 said:

We haven't improved in the last 12 months as we are still loosing key matches. Slovakia, Israel, Czech Republic, Ukraine, Ireland  The only real victory being Denmark at home.

I'm not the biggest Clarke fan but Austria away and Israel at home were "real victories"

42 minutes ago, ceudmilefailte said:

I'm not the biggest Clarke fan but Austria away and Israel at home were "real victories"

Ok I’ll give you Austria away and reluctantly Israel at home given the bother we’d been having against them umpteen times previous but since Denmark home we’ve gone down two gears.

• 3 months later...

Lets dust off this discussion shall we?  

I was looking last night and Steve Clarke has a win percentage of 47.37, currently three games less than Strachan (47.50 win %).  Slightly more than half of the matches managed by Paw Broon (45.07 win %) and currently on par with Willie Ormond in regards to win percentage with the same games managed. I am not comparing him with Managers who handled far less games. 

10 minutes ago, romanticscot said:

Lets dust off this discussion shall we?  

I was looking last night and Steve Clarke has a win percentage of 47.37, currently three games less than Strachan (47.50 win %).  Slightly more than half of the matches managed by Paw Broon (45.07 win %) and currently on par with Willie Ormond in regards to win percentage with the same games managed. I am not comparing him with Managers who handled far less games. 

Willie Ormands recored would be a lot better with 6 games against San Marino, Moldova and the Faroe isles added