Steve Clarke discussion - Page 4 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Steve Clarke discussion

romanticscot

3 minutes ago, ceudmilefailte said:

Willie Ormands recored would be a lot better with 6 games against San Marino, Moldova and the Faroe isles added

Would you rather we lost or drew those games ?

Admit it, you have it in for Clarke because he had a go (and he was correct to do so) at your club and it's supporters a few years ago.

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

19 minutes ago, romanticscot said:

Lets dust off this discussion shall we?  

I was looking last night and Steve Clarke has a win percentage of 47.37, currently three games less than Strachan (47.50 win %).  Slightly more than half of the matches managed by Paw Broon (45.07 win %) and currently on par with Willie Ormond in regards to win percentage with the same games managed. I am not comparing him with Managers who handled far less games. 

Personally i am happy with his performance as a manager so far. Theres only been 1 really bad result under his tenure and its been overall an upward trajectory imo. Obviously we should expect this to continue but i firmly believe clarke will take us to the euros and thats all i ask for.

I would argue that our standard of player has risen slightly in the last few years but its still not a massively strong squad in terms of depth and clarke regulary has to get the best out of guys who play english championship or spl. 

For me hes the best option we can realistically get and i am glad the sfa did something right for once by appointing him.

Edited by mccaughey85

8 minutes ago, ErsatzThistle said:

Admit it, you have it in for Clarke because he had a go (and he was correct to do so) at your club and it's supporters a few years ago.

Honestly I don't have a club. Got to ask who did you think I supported? 

Just read my posts in this thread almost looks like I'm a fan of Clarke's. 

Edited by ceudmilefailte

I was livid with the manner we played against Ukraine in the play off and Ireland in the summer, fairly disappointed with how the EURO's went for us.  For the most part, I am happy with how things have gone.  One EURO and a WC play off so far and here is hoping the next four years go another EURO and a World Cup in my backyard.  So far, I give Clarke a B+.  Some of his squad management frustrates me, a long with his tactics at times but he works well with who he calls up.  Somewhat out of his control at our choice of goalies, I say somewhat because at some point we are throwing someone who is green into the mix because we have to and Clarke has not given anyone any game time. 

Edited by romanticscot

11 minutes ago, ceudmilefailte said:

Willie Ormands recored would be a lot better with 6 games against San Marino, Moldova and the Faroe isles added

The scotland squads were alot stronger comparatively speaking with the squads these days. We had loads of top players who were winning european competitions in the 70s.

Also i am pretty sure countries like sweden and denmark etc were pretty poor at this time. 

9 minutes ago, ErsatzThistle said:

To all those who want Clarke out.

Well, go on, name a realistic replacement.

This should be funny.

The clarke haters are strange. Guy takes us to our first tournment in 22 years and then gets us to world cup play off but one bad result and they want him gone.

They also cant name any realistic alternative. 

The scotland job was not an attractive job especially before clarke took it on. Its actually a slightly more attractive job now thanks to clarke.

I really hope we get another two good results because that will end any anti clarke shite until at least the euro campaign starts.

4 minutes ago, ceudmilefailte said:

You know no one can answer that.

There is no were near the anti Clarke agenda you are suggesting. If you think anyone is above criticism your deluded. 

Never said Clarke was above criticism but there are definitely people who want Clarke out no matter what.

Nine out of ten of them have the same reason. Clarke bravely and quite rightly called out the sectarianism at a major Scottish club and the media's turning a blind eye to it. That still rankles with quite a few people who have not forgotten.

7 minutes ago, ErsatzThistle said:

Never said Clarke was above criticism but there are definitely people who want Clarke out no matter what.

Nine out of ten of them have the same reason. Clarke bravely and quite rightly called out the sectarianism at a major Scottish club and the media's turning a blind eye to it. That still rankles with quite a few people who have not forgotten.

Just one of the club's, that would suggest he is on the other side of the devide. Guess that might explain things. Need to tell me which side so I know who I support. 

The people who want him out must be in the tiny minority, rather than the valid criticism he’s received for some bad performances and tactics, doesn’t mean you want him sacked obviously. 

Fans are generally emotional and impulsive, especially after disappointing results. Be the first to admit after a couple of games I wouldn’t have been bothered if he left but each time he’s came back and showed why he’s the right man for the job. 

He's frustrated me at times with some of his decisions and was thinking aye maybe time after Ireland, but the Armenia away win was especially impressive and so was last night.

He deserves the Euro campaign. Let's be realistic the Euros are our level so if we can get a second seeding and win this group it's good all-round 

Ireland and Ukraine games were a huge shock - being so bad. No shame losing to both sides but to play so badly was a worry.

The hope is if we get to a tournament we won't freeze like we have done occasionally under him.

Edited by weekevie04

6 hours ago, ErsatzThistle said:

To all those who want Clarke out.

Well, go on, name a realistic replacement.

This should be funny.

I laugh myself now thinking of all those on here yearning for Michael O'Neill. He turned us down and you'd think he was Fergie or Guardiola such was the reaction. He ended up going to Stoke City where he had no major accomplishments and ended up being sacked. Me thinks we dodged a bullet there.

44 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

I laugh myself now thinking of all those on here yearning for Michael O'Neill. He turned us down and you'd think he was Fergie or Guardiola such was the reaction. He ended up going to Stoke City where he had no major accomplishments and ended up being sacked. Me thinks we dodged a bullet there.

Hard to tell tbf. O neill did fairly well with ni and he maybe suits international football better than club management. With hindsight i am happy we got clarke instead but o neill might have been a success as well. 

I also think o neill got lucky to a certain extent with ni having a backline that all played at wba. I think brunt, mcauley and evans all played in the same defence at wba. Must be a huge advantage to have a defence playing together every week. 

I would love if we could get 2 centre backs playing together at club level. For example how great would it be to have mckenna and hendry both playing at nottingham forest or hyam and mckenna at blackburn. 

9 minutes ago, mccaughey85 said:

Hard to tell tbf. O neill did fairly well with ni and he maybe suits international football better than club management. With hindsight i am happy we got clarke instead but o neill might have been a success as well. 

I also think o neill got lucky to a certain extent with ni having a backline that all played at wba. I think brunt, mcauley and evans all played in the same defence at wba. Must be a huge advantage to have a defence playing together every week. 

I would love if we could get 2 centre backs playing together at club level. For example how great would it be to have mckenna and hendry both playing at nottingham forest or hyam and mckenna at blackburn. 

Sometimes managers have a spell in a job that they cannot replicate elsewhere. O'Neill's was as Northern Ireland boss and even leaving such a job and returning to it later you cannot replicate the same success. Kudos to O'Neill though as he had the balls to turn it down and explained why but in hindsight, in my opinion, he was not a big loss.

Stevie Clarke has got more right than wrong imho. Yes he has made mistakes at times with selection and tactics, but Wednesday night showed that he is able to identify those mistakes and make the changes necessary to ensure they dont happen again. He was clearly very hurt by what happened in June and has spent all summer working out how to fix that. I suspect he will have done the same with Ireland and we should see a much improved Scotland again on Saturday night. Whether that will be enough to win the game remains to be seen. But there is no doubt in my mind that Clarke is the right man for the job, and I dont see anyone else being able to get more out of this group of players.

19 minutes ago, Judith said:

Stevie Clarke has got more right than wrong imho. Yes he has made mistakes at times with selection and tactics, but Wednesday night showed that he is able to identify those mistakes and make the changes necessary to ensure they dont happen again. He was clearly very hurt by what happened in June and has spent all summer working out how to fix that. I suspect he will have done the same with Ireland and we should see a much improved Scotland again on Saturday night. Whether that will be enough to win the game remains to be seen. But there is no doubt in my mind that Clarke is the right man for the job, and I dont see anyone else being able to get more out of this group of players.

Agree with this.  Clarke will give us more ups than downs imo.

12 hours ago, romanticscot said:

Lets dust off this discussion shall we?  

I was looking last night and Steve Clarke has a win percentage of 47.37, currently three games less than Strachan (47.50 win %).  Slightly more than half of the matches managed by Paw Broon (45.07 win %) and currently on par with Willie Ormond in regards to win percentage with the same games managed. I am not comparing him with Managers who handled far less games. 

Since the Denmark game we have played 13, won 9, lost 2 and drew 2. 

We also don't play friendlies now. 

12 hours ago, ErsatzThistle said:

It's quite pathetic to see TBH, can't bring himself to support a manager as he called out bigots. 

Depressing. 

10 hours ago, ceudmilefailte said:

Just one of the club's, that would suggest he is on the other side of the devide. Guess that might explain things. Need to tell me which side so I know who I support. 

He called out Celtic too when they sang at Boyd. 

Doesn't suit your narrative though eh?

Clarkes brothers have season tickets at Killie and have for decades. Not sure what side of the divide you think he's on. He went to the exact same school as me if that's what you are getting at. 

13 minutes ago, Squirrelhumper said:

Clarkes brothers have season tickets at Killie and have for decades. Not sure what side of the divide you think he's on. He went to the exact same school as me if that's what you are getting at. 

He is a Celtic fan 

5 hours ago, mccaughey85 said:

Good point. We're establishing partnerships all over the team. But, internationally, it can take years to build. Caldwell and McManus made a great partnership for a while. And it's no coincidence that Strachan's results improved when he finally decided to start playing all of Rodgers' Celtic players.

35 minutes ago, Squirrelhumper said:

Ffs I don't have a clue what your talking about. Original post said one side that's why asked. If it's just one side he has a preference. 

Seems to me like you have preference too. I like most people North of Perth don't give a shit. 

Whatever agenda you think I have is misguided. 

If you read my posts I am far from negative about Clarke. As for not wanting Scotland to win. I have never been in a church so that must make me true supppoter. 

Your usually a lot better than this.