Steve Clarke discussion - Page 2 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Steve Clarke discussion

romanticscot

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 6/7/2022 at 9:42 PM, Texas Pete said:

Not really. Clarke has achieved far more with Scotland than Strachan ever did. 

He inherited a bigger mess than Strachan. We were getting rode of Khazakstan when he took over and shipping 3 or 4 goals a game on a regular basis.  

21 minutes ago, Squirrelhumper said:

Agreed - Strachan always seemed to come across that he was too good for Scotland job. 

I don't get that from Clarke. 

Yep would agree fully. 

Anyone thinking Clarke should go is a zoomer. It would be good if Clarke learned from his mistakes for sure and we will see when the next big games come if he has. All in all done an excellent job though. 

1 hour ago, ProudScot said:

Yep would agree fully. 

Anyone thinking Clarke should go is a zoomer. It would be good if Clarke learned from his mistakes for sure and we will see when the next big games come if he has. All in all done an excellent job though. 

I can only go on experience as him at Killie but that team evolved and he defo was more expansive as time went on. 

I think playing two strikers on Wednesday was our downfall, for a variety of reasons. I can't see us playing Adams/Dykes again. Certainly not in a big game like that as there was no support for McGinn from either the midfield or strikers. 

We were much more aggressive from the off last night. 

I also don't think we'll see Hickey at RB again. Left side or nowhere as Ralston or Patterson are far more effective on their natural side. 

10 minutes ago, Squirrelhumper said:

I can only go on experience as him at Killie but that team evolved and he defo was more expansive as time went on. 

I think playing two strikers on Wednesday was our downfall, for a variety of reasons. I can't see us playing Adams/Dykes again. Certainly not in a big game like that as there was no support for McGinn from either the midfield or strikers. 

We were much more aggressive from the off last night. 

I also don't think we'll see Hickey at RB again. Left side or nowhere as Ralston or Patterson are far more effective on their natural side. 

I'd like see Hickey given the Tierney role at some point to see if he could do that as seems to be able to read a game pretty well although might be dodgy on crosses.  I really like the Natoins League in comparison to the pointless friendlies but it does leave limited scope to try stuff out.  

20 minutes ago, ThistleWhistle said:

I'd like see Hickey given the Tierney role at some point to see if he could do that as seems to be able to read a game pretty well although might be dodgy on crosses.  I really like the Natoins League in comparison to the pointless friendlies but it does leave limited scope to try stuff out.  

No I think in Robertson's role he is far better suited. We saw V Ukraine for the second goal how he was muscled out of the way for their header. He is better in an attacking sense than defensive in my opinion so far.

4 hours ago, Squirrelhumper said:

He inherited a bigger mess than Strachan. We were getting rode of Khazakstan when he took over and shipping 3 or 4 goals a game on a regular basis.  

I don't think there was much in it.  Strachan took over from Levein, who only managed to win three competitive matches in charge, with the team all but out of contention for qualification. 

Clarke inherited a better squad of players from McLeish but there was obviously something going wrong behind the scenes that still hasn't been made public but which was clearly affecting performances and results.  The number of call-offs during McLeish's second spell in charge were ridiculous but that no longer happens, and I think Clarke and his team deserve credit for that.

Anyone calling for him to be sacked must have a short memory.

53 minutes ago, scotlad said:

I don't think there was much in it.  Strachan took over from Levein, who only managed to win three competitive matches in charge, with the team all but out of contention for qualification. 

Clarke inherited a better squad of players from McLeish but there was obviously something going wrong behind the scenes that still hasn't been made public but which was clearly affecting performances and results.  The number of call-offs during McLeish's second spell in charge were ridiculous but that no longer happens, and I think Clarke and his team deserve credit for that.

Anyone calling for him to be sacked must have a short memory.

IIRC we were already out of contention for the WC when Strachan took over from Levein. It sticks in my mind because we were the first team to be eliminated from the WC, after four qualifiers. 

1 hour ago, The Black Bra said:

IIRC we were already out of contention for the WC when Strachan took over from Levein. It sticks in my mind because we were the first team to be eliminated from the WC, after four qualifiers. 

Before San Marino even. 🤣

You might be right, I thought it was confirmed after the Serbia defeat but it could be my memory playing tricks.

1 hour ago, The Black Bra said:

Strachan lost his first two competitive games and then we were out. We were the first European team to be knocked out. Other teams had been knocked out before we even kicked a ball.

On 6/7/2022 at 9:10 PM, kumnio said:

His stats are decent, but not as good as some think, all while we have a group of players that are better than we have had for at least a decade.

He has had some very good results, and some very poor results and performances. We have been timid and looked uninterested against Ukraine, Czech Republic twice, Croatia. The performances that we play well in, are when we have a go at teams, Denmark, Serbia and England are examples of these. We need to play with tempo and fight.

His press conference after the Ukraine defeat was comical IMO, just absolute nonsense and bluster. He has strengths and weaknesses, he isn't beyond criticism, and needs to get rid of several failings, but he keeps going back to some, which is very worrying.

In premier league terms Scotland is a Southampton team tbh. Proper mid table with some really good results and performances before tailing off and hitting poor run of form with same group of players.

Ultimately the standard now is to make the euros. Can't just be keeping a manager because they qualified for it once. Made that error before keeping Craig Brown post 2000 when some rebuilding could've been done.

Getting through in the top 2 this time will also show improvement regardless of nations league performance. For World cup 2026 have to see what the qualifying group is like.

On 6/7/2022 at 10:12 PM, Texas Pete said:

Strachan had the players to finish second (or even third in the Euro 2016 qualifiers) and failed to do it. 

Whilst Clarke has hardly been awe inspiring he has achieved more than Strachan with Scotland. That’s a fact not my opinion.

Whether he has better players or not is debatable but on balance I would probably agree but I wouldn’t say it was a huge difference in quality.  

Strachan just took too long to weed out his favourites. By end of 2017 he had it right with the results and style of play but having two full campaigns and not making play offs once did against him.

The issue was having McLeish mark 2 inbeween otherwise it would've been a pretty seamless transition upwards when you look at the progress that was made during 2017.

18 hours ago, Tartan Chris said:

In premier league terms Scotland is a Southampton team tbh. Proper mid table with some really good results and performances before tailing off and hitting poor run of form with same group of players.

Ultimately the standard now is to make the euros. Can't just be keeping a manager because they qualified for it once. Made that error before keeping Craig Brown post 2000 when some rebuilding could've been done.

Getting through in the top 2 this time will also show improvement regardless of nations league performance. For World cup 2026 have to see what the qualifying group is like.

Brown was a bawhair away from getting us to Euro 2000 (or at least to extra time and possible penalties in the playoff). Sacking him after that would have been very harsh. 

We only finished 2 points behind Belgium in our next campaign. If we had finished second he’d probably have kept his job then as well. It would have been interesting to see what would have happened in World Cup 2002 qualifying if he had resigned/been sacked after the game at Wembley but ultimately I think he probably went at the right time.  

43 minutes ago, Texas Pete said:

Brown was a bawhair away from getting us to Euro 2000 (or at least to extra time and possible penalties in the playoff). Sacking him after that would have been very harsh. 

We only finished 2 points behind Belgium in our next campaign. If we had finished second he’d probably have kept his job then as well. It would have been interesting to see what would have happened in World Cup 2002 qualifying if he had resigned/been sacked after the game at Wembley but ultimately I think he probably went at the right time.  

The 2-2 game against Belgium at Hampden was a sliding doors moment for the national teams of both us and Belgium.  2-0 up against 10 men after, what, 15 minutes to then go on to draw with virtually the last touch of the ball was unbearable.  We spiralled downwards from that point as Belgium spiralled in the opposite direction.

20 hours ago, todd said:

The 2-2 game against Belgium at Hampden was a sliding doors moment for the national teams of both us and Belgium.  2-0 up against 10 men after, what, 15 minutes to then go on to draw with virtually the last touch of the ball was unbearable.  We spiralled downwards from that point as Belgium spiralled in the opposite direction.

That game. 🤦‍♂️ Seconds away from winning it, after missing chances in the second half to really put it to bed. Had we won it, we'd have finished second and gone into the playoffs.

Belgium went through a few fallow years as also-rans. After 2002 they didn't qualify for anything again until 2014 - after they'd been in our qualifying group! 😂 I could be wrong but I think they were third seeds in that group.

48 minutes ago, scotlad said:

That game. 🤦‍♂️ Seconds away from winning it, after missing chances in the second half to really put it to bed. Had we won it, we'd have finished second and gone into the playoffs.

Belgium went through a few fallow years as also-rans. After 2002 they didn't qualify for anything again until 2014 - after they'd been in our qualifying group! 😂 I could be wrong but I think they were third seeds in that group.

Aye, I think Belgium spiralled doon the same lavvy pan as us for the best part of a decade. They have managed to claw their way back out in spectacular fashion, but it took them 10 years. It's taken us a lot longer and we aren't out yet. Just waiting for the next flush. 

Do we really need three Steve Clarke threads? 

When it has counted Clarke has got it wrong. Serbia and England were good but we were largely disappointing in the EUROs, blew the end of our last Nations league campaign, didn't show up against Ukraine and embarrassed against the irish.

2 minutes ago, romanticscot said:

Do we really need three Steve Clarke threads? 

When it has counted Clarke has got it wrong. Serbia and England were good but we were largely disappointing in the EUROs, blew the end of our last Nations league campaign, didn't show up against Ukraine and embarrassed against the irish.

Both of those games were draws. I want to see us winning games. Draws don't give me much of a feel good factor.