Are Wales better than us? - Page 2 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Are Wales better than us?


Malcolm
 Share

Recommended Posts

  • Replies 343
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

10 minutes ago, Texas Pete said:

They will always have some good players but will they always have Bale/Ramsey class players? Especially ones that are so passionate about playing for their country?

They are not a 1 or 2 man team to be fair. They play very well together but I would be surprised if they are anywhere near this close to qualifying for a World Cup again in the next 20 years. 

Ramsey actually missed pretty much all of their euro 2020 qualifying campaign, pretty sure he only played their final match when he scored twice v Hungary so he's a bit like Bale, he tends to only get himself fit for their big matches and we saw at Rangers he's a declining force now.

Wales backline is pretty young still and they really don't concede that many goals at home so there will remain a structure there to grind out home wins to keep them competitive in groups.

Obviously Bale is their talisman so they'll miss him when he calls it a day for sure.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Big fucking slice of luck also helps.

No different to the keeper flapping at McGregor goal though. Or indeed for the McGinn sitter ten minutes before.

Wales were always going to be big favourites in this section once the March game got cancelled especially with home advantage.

Ukraine trying their best but they really needed to get the first goal as now Wales will sit back and counter attack.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Malcolm said:

on this evidence, wales would have pumped us tonight.

I'd definitely have the fear for us entering that atmosphere. 

Shocking from FIFA/UEFA to give one team such an advantage in a play-off final. Should be two legs or at a neutral venue.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, vanderark14 said:

I'm not convinced walea are that much better than us. We never turned up at all on Wednesday, we are capable of much more.

 

Yes and bear in mind we had Tierney out. It is akin to taking the influence of Bales out of Welsh side tonight. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Tartan Chris said:

No different to the keeper flapping at McGregor goal though. Or indeed for the McGinn sitter ten minutes before.

Wales were always going to be big favourites in this section once the March game got cancelled especially with home advantage.

Ukraine trying their best but they really needed to get the first goal as now Wales will sit back and counter attack.

Ukraine have had the better chances, more of the ball and more shots on goal. Stats not a lot different from half-time on Wednesday even when we were playing so crap.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

57 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

They have what we lack - a cracking striker who scores goals for fun. That makes a huge difference to a side. 

That must ease any nerves amongst his teammates, knowing they have someone in their side capable of producing moments of brilliance from absolutely nothing. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Toepoke said:

I'd definitely have the fear for us entering that atmosphere. 

Shocking from FIFA/UEFA to give one team such an advantage in a play-off final. Should be two legs or at a neutral venue.

I believe the intercontinental play-offs (and Asian play-off) are taking place in Qatar; minimises the advantage any team has at this stage.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Malcolm said:

I think that wales got lucky on that pen, could easily have been given.

It would have been soft, tbf, but I've seen them given.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Clyde1998 said:

I believe the intercontinental play-offs (and Asian play-off) are taking place in Qatar; minimises the advantage any team has at this stage.

Yeah that's a good idea in fairness.

Just the way the draw works given it was same in europe for the euro play offs but BCD nullified things. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Ukraine have had the better chances, more of the ball and more shots on goal. Stats not a lot different from half-time on Wednesday even when we were playing so crap.

The stats are basically identical as you say, if anything it was slightly more even against us. The difference, as people have noted, is simply having a player who can produce things out of nothing.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Clyde1998 said:

The stats are basically identical as you say, if anything it was slightly more even against us. The difference, as people have noted, is simply having a player who can produce things out of nothing.

Actually looking at the ball in again it was into an area where no Welsh players were within ten feet of it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, Toepoke said:

I'd definitely have the fear for us entering that atmosphere. 

Shocking from FIFA/UEFA to give one team such an advantage in a play-off final. Should be two legs or at a neutral venue.

 

The atmosphere sems ok.. nothing out of the ordinary to my ears. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share




×
×
  • Create New...