Are Wales better than us? - Page 6 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Are Wales better than us?

Malcolm

Just now, Bobby Russell's Lovechild said:

On the point of playing someone who's a level up but in the wrong position, McTominay might be a division up on McKenna, but no-one can ignore McKenna's form over McTominay's displays

McKenna is a left sided defender, McTomminay plays RCB for Scotland so they arent really competing. It would have been McKenna or Cooper and then McTomminay, Hendry or Soutter.

As I said, Soutter wasnt fully fit and Hendry gave the ball away which should have lead to a goal within about 5 mins of coming on so its nit like McTomminay is keeping top class defenders out the team.

Clarke has spokeĀ  about the reason so Tierney at LCB and McTom at RCB. Apparently after the 1st couple of games he spoke to the players to get their thoughts as it hadnt immedietly worked and the players said they liked it and wanted to keep it. They thought it worked and allowed them a style of play and identity that hadnt been there before.

Now why Clarke decided to tear that up and go 2 up top, long ball on Wed is beyond me but thats another debate. I also am open to swapping in either Soutter or Hendry for McTom if they can raise there ability on the ball to a similar level as McTom but atm dropping McTom also means losing some of the way we play.

Personally id like to see McTom in one of the 2 positions behind Adams. With the other being McGinn.

My original point though is that none of the above is anything to do with playing players in their natural positions as Cooper was our worst defender and he was playing in natural position. McGinn had his worst game for years playing the same position he normally does. Dykes was useless playing his normal position so the argument doesnt stack up for me.

• Replies 536
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Diamond Scot said:

I know what you are getting at but have to say I disagree.

International football is full of players who dont play in their natural position because quite often you have 2 guys who are a level above everybody else but play in the same position. Ie Tierney and Robertson. It would be absolute madness to drop Tierney and play Cooper for example.

Ukraine dont play the Man City guy at left back.Ā 

Imo you put your best team on the pitch. If that means playing a CM at RCB because you believe he offers you more there than the defenders that play week in week out then so be it. Everybody jumps on a bad result and points to guys like McTominay however by far and away our worst defender on Wed was Cooper who was playing in his natural position so playing Hendry or Souter (who wasnt fully fit) would have made zero difference.

People quickly forget the good performances and results we have had playing the same guys out of position.

The difference with Wales is that they have had one of the best 5 players in the world over the past decade playing an attacking positon. Put Bale in the Scotland team over the past decade and we qualify for multiple tournaments.

Wales also tore up the script about a decade ago. Literally put in all the youngsters and accepted getting humped for a few years. These guys then had the experience and quality to deliever what they have done. Compare that to the comments on Hickey, a 19 year old starring in Serie A week in week out, playing left and right wing back, has 1 dodgy game when he wasnt helped by the tactics or formattion and we have people calling for him to never play again or be dropped for Tony Ralston, a player who even the most die hard Celtic fan would admit is 2nd choice RB at Celtic and whose ability ceiling is probably a top 6 Scottish Premier Division team.

Thatā€™s the big difference though we shoehorn the likes of mctominay into the side just because he is on the books on man united , even though he adds zero to the team and the team works round that.

I did not know who some of the players for wales there were , but ii suspect that is their position and they are the best in that position whoever they play off , but we donā€™t work like thatĀ 

Never watched the game but the stats didnt look very good for wales. 37 percent possesion. Ukraine had 24 attempts on goal compared to 10 by wales. 9 on target for ukraine compared to 2 on target by wales.

Did wales fluke their way to victory in a smash and grab or are those stats misleading?

Ā 

Fuck knows why McTominay has a song about him. Rarely has such an average footballer been so lauded. Of course the manager hasnā€™t helped him by playing him out of position but that seems to be a ā€˜Scottish managerā€™ thing šŸ™ˆ

9 minutes ago, DAVIDB46 said:

Thatā€™s the big difference though we shoehorn the likes of mctominay into the side just because he is on the books on man united , even though he adds zero to the team and the team works round that.

I did not know who some of the players for wales there were , but ii suspect that is their position and they are the best in that position whoever they play off , but we donā€™t work like thatĀ 

You must know thats rubbish. Clarke has said what McTomminay brings to the team and to the RCB position. By all means highlight his shortfalls of which he has a few, especially in RCB but to say he adds zero to the team is nonsence.

The guy has played for Man Utd under 3 seperate managers so he obviously has something.

No.Ā 

We've a manager who's brought us up to a competitive level.

We now need the players to match it.Ā 

Wales players want to win - we've cunts up for a Sunday bevvy in the pool.

Edited by Debian

46 minutes ago, DAVIDB46 said:

He's a bit more than just on their books, he's made over 100 appearances for them and he's a regular in their first team.Ā  Okay, it's not a vintage Man Utd team, I think it's fair to say, but they're still a top half EPL side.

43 minutes ago, mccaughey85 said:

Never watched the game but the stats didnt look very good for wales. 37 percent possesion. Ukraine had 24 attempts on goal compared to 10 by wales. 9 on target for ukraine compared to 2 on target by wales.

Did wales fluke their way to victory in a smash and grab or are those stats misleading?

Ā 

Aye, they did a bit.Ā 

13 minutes ago, adamntg said:

Aye, they did a bit.Ā 

Sounds like we might of beaten wales, saying that i think the players put in a lacklustre performance v ukraine and i believe we are a much better side than what we showed. Need to pull out a couple of good performances against armenia and ireland so that we can put this ukraine disappointment behind us and look forward to the euros.

Fans on here have such a short f"ING memory.

When Clarke took overĀ  the over-riding opinion was that he simply had to find a way of playing both Tierney and Robertson in the same side. He did that using the formation we play now and it has taken us a long way from where we were. To the same extent it is why McTominay is played in the back three to make way for him in the side and it has been used before and our results have still been on an upward trajectory. Now with Ukraine result/performanceĀ  fans use it as a stick to beat Clarke with despite it originally being something the fans warmed to. Unbelievable.

Before the pelters come in I do believe we need to look at different formations and see how it goes. That may be with a more conventional 4-4-2 or 4-5-1 but I would then await to hear the pelters for Clarke when those formations would mean the axe for Robertson or Tierney or another fan favourite as there is no place for them in the side. No doubt the fans would then be asking for Tierney to be played on the left side of midfield - oh wait that is out of position and here we go again.

For me the worst thing about last Wednesday was the level of performance and trying to figure out what caused such a dip. I put it down to a number of factors. Nerves on our side, seven times better preparation time for Ukraine, more fatigue from our players, no Tierney for us screwing up a system that works so well and Ukraine being a better side than us as suggested by their showing at the Euros and in the rankings and finally being suckered in by the BS that poor little Ukraine were unprepared and down-trodden which was not the case.

Edited by Caledonian Craig

No doubt whatsoever that Wales are better than us, and have been for several years. I remember pondering the same when Republic of Ireland had their time under Charlton. I think for me it's probably down to deep envy. The fact that both Wales and Ireland have progressed further in tournament finals than we have, ever, just rubs salt in the wood. As is the fact that football is supposed to be our national sport, whereas it isn't for the other two. Don't know what the answer is, but until we can dig up a consistent goal threat and solve the defensive frailties, we'll struggle.Ā 

8 hours ago, mccaughey85 said:

Ā 

Ukraine were the better side. Wales were fantastic defensively. Great saves, last ditch tackles etc. The Wales goal a deflected free kick. They then sat back and played on the break. I believe we're now at a similar level to the likes of Wales and Ukraine, but we all know that small margins in football dictate results. Individual errors and tactical or positional choices can be big factors. At least we're now competitive as opposed to just being shite.

12 hours ago, EddardStark said:

When it comes to Wales I have some horrible memories of watching Scotland at that stadium. Especially the involving Bale. Their fans are knobs as well.
Ā 

I suppose when Ā the England v Wales comes along then at best I will be indifferent. Both teams failing to get out the group would be a bonus.Ā 

I agree, I'll be indifferent when watching that game. Usually it's ABE but I have an irrational dislike for Wales.Ā 

@EddardStarkĀ has a point about Wales and their luck

Look at the stats,wales were dominated across the board but they got a huge slice of luck and dug in. Are they better than us? As I said previously, I'm not convinced they are and of they are it's fucking marginal

Ā 

Ā 

Screenshot_20220606-081221_Flashscore.jpg

12 minutes ago, vanderark14 said:

. Usually it's ABE but I have an irrational dislike for Wales.Ā 

Me as well

I'm even considering supporting the great Satan in this gameĀ 

Phukkin hate Wales Fitba team.

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

1 hour ago, killiefaetheferry said:

Ukraine were the better side. Wales were fantastic defensively. Great saves, last ditch tackles etc. The Wales goal a deflected free kick. They then sat back and played on the break. I believe we're now at a similar level to the likes of Wales and Ukraine, but we all know that small margins in football dictate results. Individual errors and tactical or positional choices can be big factors. At least we're now competitive as opposed to just being shite.

second half Wales created several excellent chances for international level, Bale forced a good save but probably should have scored, Ramsay missed a great chance, they hit the post. Ukraine themselves had 1 or 2 decent chances as well but in terms of chances Wales better second half.Ā 

Not sure how we can say weā€™re at the same level when theyā€™ve made semi finals and quarter finals and weā€™ve not.Ā 

5 minutes ago, ParisInAKilt said:

Ā 

second half Wales created several excellent chances for international level, Bale forced a good save but probably should have scored, Ramsay missed a great chance, they hit the post. Ukraine themselves had 1 or 2 decent chances as well but in terms of chances Wales better second half.Ā 

Not sure how we can say weā€™re at the same level when theyā€™ve made semi finals and quarter finals and weā€™ve not.Ā 

The big difference is they have a legend playing up front for them who has ripped up record books - we have Dykes and Adams.

1 minute ago, Caledonian Craig said:

The big difference is they have a legend playing up front for them who has ripped up record books - we have Dykes and Adams.

It definitely helps. A clean sheet goes along way, rather than losing goals a school boy team would be laughed at for.Ā 

4 minutes ago, ParisInAKilt said:

It definitely helps. A clean sheet goes along way, rather than losing goals a school boy team would be laughed at for.Ā 

Our defence has been good when we have Tierney in there but take him out and the balance is lost. That is when we need a fall back plan - go four at the back and bolster the midfield.

Before the war in Ukraine I thought we would beat them and lose to Wales.

Hard to give a shit about supporting Scotland as you know at the most critical points we just don't turn up. It is just weird behaviour and I am fucking bored of it. It happens under all the managers.

9 hours ago, mccaughey85 said:

Sounds like we might of beaten wales, saying that i think the players put in a lacklustre performance v ukraine and i believe we are a much better side than what we showed. Need to pull out a couple of good performances against armenia and ireland so that we can put this ukraine disappointment behind us and look forward to the euros.

As is often the case in internationals, the first goal was vital. Ukraine never scored when they were dominating, Wales got a break and did. They were also extremely lucky not to concede a penalty.Ā 

I would still have made Wales favourites if we'd played them, but it would have been a tight game.

Ā 

I hadn't realised the stats were so starkly in favour of Ukraine. I remember them being the better team in the first half, unlucky to be behind, but then running out of ideas a bit in the second.Ā 

Wales' best player though, for me, was their goalie, which maybe tells its own story.

5 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Our defence has been good when we have Tierney in there but take him out and the balance is lost. That is when we need a fall back plan - go four at the back and bolster the midfield.

Weā€™ve always got an excuse.Ā 

Just not good enough at the moment sadly.