Are Wales better than us? - Page 4 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Are Wales better than us?

Malcolm

1 minute ago, ThistleWhistle said:

On paper we're better but in their head and on grass they're better.

Robertson, Tierney, McGinn, McTominay (for Allen) and Adams would all be nailed on Wales starts. Gilmour would be phasing Ramsey out and Gordon would be a shout in goal. 

Who in Wales would defo start for us- Ben Davies wouldn't be left of a three because of Tierney and Bale's running on vapour 

ben Davies would walk in to our team.  Tierney is a full back.

• Replies 536
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just now, EddardStark said:

I actually hope Wales lose to England. That’s saying something. They are the luckiest team on the planet.

F.. k off. Wales put in a great effort. Why could we not at least match their commitment on Wednesday? 

2 minutes ago, EddardStark said:

I actually hope Wales lose to England. That’s saying something. They are the luckiest team on the planet.

Just texted my mate in Stoke the same.

Maybe sour grapes but celebrating the og and giving it the massive one at the end shows an ability to think 'fuck 'em it's football' that we don't possess 

1 minute ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Think about it logically.

Wales have had a fair few years with the likes of Bale and Ramsay in the side when we had nothing and likes of Burley in charge. They began establishing themselves as qualifiers for tournaments in 2016 - five years before us. It is just in the last year or two that we have began blooding stars of the future and starting to build from the bottom up so it is no surprise things panned out the way they did.

The vast majority of that team on Wednesday, have played a fair few games together now and all play at a decent/high level. They were playing Infront of a home capacity crowd, yet played like they'd never seen each other before. I'm not taking the first game too seriously, but we'll see how we come back with a good test away to the Republic.

Just now, Bobby Russell's Lovechild said:

The vast majority of that team on Wednesday, have played a fair few games together now and all play at a decent/high level. They were playing Infront of a home capacity crowd, yet played like they'd never seen each other before. I'm not taking the first game too seriously, but we'll see how we come back with a good test away to the Republic.

Nobody in our side comes close to what Bale has achieved at international level. Heck, being honest, he blows any of our legends out of the water for longevity, goals scored, quality of goals scored and making things happen.

3 minutes ago, Malcolm said:

ben Davies would walk in to our team.  Tierney is a full back.

Plays left of a 3 for Spurs doesn't he? 

If he could play middle of the 3 then he'd likely be first choice. Curtis Jones I'd probably have but there aren't many nailed on for me.

If Rodon plays regularly he'd probably be in too

4 minutes ago, ThistleWhistle said:

Just texted my mate in Stoke the same.

Maybe sour grapes but celebrating the og and giving it the massive one at the end shows an ability to think 'fuck 'em it's football' that we don't possess 

Nothing should ever make you hope england win. Not ever. 

Wales would have crushed us there is no doubt. However it sticks in my craw a bit that they play both the semi and final at home, have a few months to prepare, win through an own goal, Ukraine arguably deserve a draw, yet the media are making this a welshfest of magnificence. 
On the other hand our media want us to lose. Kinda represents the mentality in this country in general. 

Guest Scot1

I thought Ukraine were the better team and Wales rode their luck at times. 
But what Wales did was keep it SIMPLE.

Their 3 centre halves were there to DEFEND. None of them were expected to make forward runs into midfield. 

They played with 3 central midfielders, allowing them to be competitive in the middle of the park and providing a defensive screen in front of the defence. 

10 minutes ago, DAVIDB46 said:

Well done wales they may not have a huge amount of quality , but everyone seems to know their role they have to play, unlike ourselves where we still shoehorn players in despite not having a clue what they are meant to be doing.

Agreed. Play your best players in their best positions. It’s as simple as that. Instead we have a central midfielder in the back three while two proper centre halves sit on the bench and a left footed right back with two natural right backs on the bench. Unreal. 

1 minute ago, TDYER63 said:

Wales would have crushed us there is no doubt. However it sticks in my craw a bit that they play both the semi and final at home, have a few months to prepare, win through an own goal, Ukraine arguably deserve a draw, yet the media are making this a welshfest of magnificence. 
On the other hand our media want us to lose. Kinda represents the mentality in this country in general. 

Totally- it was presented like we would be wankers if we knocked them out because it was a bit of hope back home.

Wales on the other hand have basically had a free ride to basically go 'fuck em'.

They've not mentioned Ukraine being knocked out yet and what the feelings back home are.

It's proper weird the difference.

I think we'd beat either of these in a normal qualifying game but lack something mentally 

2 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Nobody in our side comes close to what Bale has achieved at international level. Heck, being honest, he blows any of our legends out of the water for longevity, goals scored, quality of goals scored and making things happen.

Not down to Bale. The whole of the Wales team put the graft in and competed to a man. Their effort made our performance even more didgraceful. 

19 minutes ago, thesaint said:

Anybody that's not raging after watching that needs their f.. king head examined. As for that f. cking dullard Clarke. He should be tied to a chair and be forced to watch again and again how to commit to win a crucial game. You know what Clarke you should be ashamed. 

I've got much more important things to get angry or raging about. 

11 minutes ago, ThistleWhistle said:

On paper we're better but in their head and on grass they're better.

Robertson, Tierney, McGinn, McTominay (for Allen) and Adams would all be nailed on Wales starts. Gilmour would be phasing Ramsey out and Gordon would be a shout in goal. 

Who in Wales would defo start for us- Ben Davies wouldn't be left of a three because of Tierney and Bale's running on vapour 

An over-the-hill Bale is still better than any attacking player we've produced in decades, I'd take him in a heartbeat. 

Of their starting XI I'd also take Daniel James, possibly Ben Davies and Conor Roberts would surely be a better option at right-back than the journeyman from Motherwell that Clarke likes to play there.

Wales are a better team than us though in the sense that they are set-up better, coached better and have a better mentality.  They also got some huge slices of luck, starting from getting two play-off ties at home and carrying on to the game today.  

Then again, who could begrudge them a bit of luck after 64 years?  This must feel soooo sweet for their fans who've stuck with them during the bad years when they were cannon fodder in qualifying groups, finishing in the bottom two.  I know how good I felt when we got to the Euros, this must be like that and then some!

9 minutes ago, Malcolm said:

correct.  Happy to be the cheeky chappy best fans in the world.  Here for the party.  Fuck that.  Get the boot in and in amongst them.  Make hampden a bear pit again and get in to them.

I'm starting to think we're too nice as well.  That's why, apart from a few weirdos, no one really dislikes us too much, but equally no one really fears us either.

Truly the Partick Thistle of international football! 

17 minutes ago, ThistleWhistle said:

Plays left of a 3 for Spurs doesn't he? 

If he could play middle of the 3 then he'd likely be first choice. Curtis Jones I'd probably have but there aren't many nailed on for me.

If Rodon plays regularly he'd probably be in too

Curtis Jones is English !

Guest Scot1

Let’s try and lighten the mood a little before Wednesdays game.

Has anyone ever witnessed a horse kicking a tree, farting on dogs then running away?

3 minutes ago, scotlad said:

Then again, who could begrudge them a bit of luck after 64 years?  This must feel soooo sweet for their fans who've stuck with them during the bad years when they were cannon fodder in qualifying groups, finishing in the bottom two.  I know how good I felt when we got to the Euros, this must be like that and then some!! 

Difference is, when Wales qualify, they actually get out the group and give their fans something to believe in, even in 1958!