Are Wales better than us? - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Are Wales better than us?

Malcolm

• Replies 536
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Of course they are. At the moment anyway. Once Bale, Ramsey and a couple of others retire I expect them to eventually slip back into pot 5/6 obscurity where they languished for years. They are very much in their golden period which, sadly, we had years ago. 

I said in couple of the other threads that wales and even Ireland believe they have a lot of quality and good sides , the players I mean.

There is less of the scared factor with them and they do get stuck in to these type of games .

6 minutes ago, Texas Pete said:

Of course they are. At the moment anyway. Once Bale, Ramsey and a couple of others retire I expect them to eventually slip back into pot 5/6 obscurity where they languished for years. They are very much in their golden period which, sadly, we had years ago. 

I don't think they're that bad without their key players. Pot 4 to me seems like their base with Championship level players and a handful of Premier League ones available.

1 minute ago, Clyde1998 said:

I don't think they're that bad without their key players. Pot 4 to me seems like their base with Championship level players and a handful of Premier League ones available.

Sounds like another team we know 

Wales definitely benefit from being tied to the mega rich English league system with all the extra investment in youth development. 

That said watching this Ukraine are again looking the technically superior side.

Just now, Clyde1998 said:

If you take out their 5/6 best players we have a much, much better squad than them. Their key players give the rest of their squad confidence and belief they are going to win. Once that goes they’ll go back to how they’ve been for the 40 years prior to this period. Unless they come up with some more fantastic players in the next couple of years which is possible but unlikely. 

These things happen in cycles. Iceland, for example, were very good for a few years and now they’re not. 

If Wales don’t win tonight I’d expect at least a couple of retirements over the next few weeks. They really need to take this chance tonight or they might not get to a World Cup for another few decades. 

They know how to play the 3-5-2 much better. Been playing it since about 2006.

They do have some good youngsters coming through so not sure they'll quite fall off the cliff once Bale calls it a day, Brennan Johnson had a fantastic season for Forest and will probably do well in premier league. Remember the fuss about trying to call up his old man in late 90s? (David Johnson).

They have Bale who can change a game and we don’t have a player anywhere near that.

Once he retires then they’ll be a completely different side.

I’m still annoyed about the lack of intensity we showed on Wednesday and it played totally into their hands. I’m really not sure why Clarke thought that was the best tactic but there you go.

2 minutes ago, Tartan Chris said:

They know how to play the 3-5-2 much better. Been playing it since about 2006.

They do have some good youngsters coming through so not sure they'll quite fall off the cliff once Bale calls it a day, Brennan Johnson had a fantastic season for Forest and will probably do well in premier league. Remember the fuss about trying to call up his old man in late 90s? (David Johnson).

They will always have some good players but will they always have Bale/Ramsey class players? Especially ones that are so passionate about playing for their country?

They are not a 1 or 2 man team to be fair. They play very well together but I would be surprised if they are anywhere near this close to qualifying for a World Cup again in the next 20 years. 

Ukraine have less of an advantage here. They’ve played a tough game four days ago and haven’t had months to prepare for this one. 

I suppose they may have had a look at what they’d do against Wales but the focus must’ve been on Scotland. 

1 minute ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Big fucking slice of luck also helps.

totally true, however Wales are much more up for this than we were.  They are getting stuck in to them and getting some luck in the right areas of the pitch.  Makes me even more disgusted at our insipid performance.